Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1103017 times)

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #825 on: June 24, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »
Anyways back to a regularly scheduled program.

Susan Rodriguez? I know she is suppose to be latin american, but I think Kate Beckinsale would be a good Susan. Mostly because I can picture her as the main love interest.

Sure there are a lot of latin american actresses but none I can picture as Harry Dresdens significant other.

e.g. Eva Longoria, Penelope Cruz, Salma Hayek, etc.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:55:42 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 24, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
Okay how about Stellan Skarsgard as Donnar Vaderung (Odin)?

Susan Rodriguez is Erica Cerra.  Jim Butcher says so, so I have to agree.

"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 24, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »

FTW! I was thinking that too.

Do you know who is playing Odin in the Thor movie? (I digress again, sorry)

I won't say in case you all want to be suprised if or when you watch Thor, but if you want to know here it is

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 24, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »
Susan Rodriguez is Erica Cerra.  Jim Butcher says so, so I have to agree.

I liked her in Eureka. Though I don't know how she would do on the silver screen. TV is a little different and I haven't seen Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief because that movie looks stupid.

More Susan like image.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:12:35 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Efialtis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 24, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »
After watching some of the great special effects in the "up and coming" movie, Sorcerer's Apprentice, I couldn't help but think..."THEY NEED TO MAKE A DRESDEN FILES MOVIE"...
I know the TV Series didn't go over very well, mostly because, imnsho, it didn't follow the books very well...
But look at James Bond, those movies have gone on forever...and most are still pretty good...
So we could have a 1:1 ratio with movies to books...

Are there any rumors or feelers out there for doing this?

Another book series that could be fantastic as a movie (or series of movies) would be "Thieves World"...
--E--

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #830 on: June 24, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »
After watching some of the great special effects in the "up and coming" movie, Sorcerer's Apprentice, I couldn't help but think..."THEY NEED TO MAKE A DRESDEN FILES MOVIE"...
I know the TV Series didn't go over very well, mostly because, imnsho, it didn't follow the books very well...
But look at James Bond, those movies have gone on forever...and most are still pretty good...
So we could have a 1:1 ratio with movies to books...

Are there any rumors or feelers out there for doing this?

Another book series that could be fantastic as a movie (or series of movies) would be "Thieves World"...

Officially? Not til Jim gets back the licensing from Lions Gate :( Of course, Lions Gate could always choose to do a movie on it, but given that they've done nothing with it since April of '07, it's not looking likely.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 24, 2010, 05:17:26 PM »
Officially? Not til Jim gets back the licensing from Lions Gate :( Of course, Lions Gate could always choose to do a movie on it, but given that they've done nothing with it since April of '07, it's not looking likely.

I never really paid much attention to Studios, usually I just look at the director, but even then some of my favorite directors disappoint me from time to time.

Anyhow I was looking at all the Lion's Gate movies and realize there are very very few I like. Even the good movies they are involved with a sort of shadowed by the bad ones. For example, this year they did Kick-Ass (awesome movie) but they also did Daybreakers, The Spy Next Door, From Paris with Love, Why Did I Get Married Too?, and Killers. Daybreakers I had hope for but turned out pretty lame.

So with that said what studio would you cast to make a Dresden Files movie?

Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., Sony Pictures, NBC/Universal Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, New Line Cinema, MGM, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Columbia Pictures, TriStar Pictures, Focus Features, Miramax Films, Warner Independent Pictures, Paramount Classics, Paramount Vantage, Fine Line Features, United Artists, Picturehouse, Lakeshore Entertainment, Heyday Films, etc.

Think about it like this, Heyday makes Harry Potter, and Lakeshore made Underworld. Universal pioneered movie monsters and make-up, etc.

Then again some really great movies don't even really have a major studio behind them, like Desperado, it was distributed by Columbia Pictures (naturally) but not really a studio involved in the making of. Of course Robert Rodriguez has formed Troublemaker Studios since then.

Another example is The Fifth Element. No major studio behind this either.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:26:30 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline sjmcc13

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 24, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »
Anyhow I was looking at all the Lion's Gate movies and realize there are very very few I like. Even the good movies they are involved with a sort of shadowed by the bad ones. For example, this year they did Kick-Ass (awesome movie)
They did not even make Kick-Ass it was financed independently by the director.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 24, 2010, 07:01:38 PM »
They did not even make Kick-Ass it was financed independently by the director.

Your right, seems like the just distributed it, it came up on Lion's Gate list of movies.
So has Lions Gate anything noteable or significant? I guess not.
I can't wait til the movie rights go back to Jim so that a good studio or director could pick it up.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 07:08:43 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 24, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »
While we are on the subject of Kick-Ass, I think Chloe Moretz (Hit-Girl) should play Ivy.

Funny on IMDB her character is listed number 21 on the cast list. It should be listed at least 3rd, aren't they suppose to be listed by significance?

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #835 on: June 24, 2010, 07:35:52 PM »
I never really paid much attention to Studios, usually I just look at the director, but even then some of my favorite directors disappoint me from time to time.

My point being that Jim has no creativity rights to any movies that Lions Gate may produce, given that the movie license will not revert back to Jim for another... two years and two-hundred-and-ninety-three days.

Seriously. Go watch this vid taken during one of his Q&A/Signings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nxHxfB_ElU

(and yes, that is the exact math, lol. I really had nothing better to do.)
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #836 on: June 24, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »

I can see that.  And I always saw Morgan as kind of like Barbossa in a suit as a good guy.  Maybe a little skinnier.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #837 on: June 24, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »
I can see that.  And I always saw Morgan as kind of like Barbossa in a suit as a good guy.  Maybe a little skinnier.

Huh? Barbossa was played by Geoffrey Rush, and Skarsgard played the squidhead... uh, what'shisname, Davy Jones. Am I missing something?

Never mind, I had such a moment of stupid just then... *sigh*

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #838 on: June 24, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »
don't worry, it's just a blonde moment.  It will pass.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 24, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »
Yeah, Chloe Moretz would rock!

I also like Morgan Lily for Ivy. (She was in 2012.)

For Carlos Ramirez, I was thinking Jay Hernandez. I remember him from "Crazy/Beautiful" and when I started reading the books his look popped in my head.  He is also Mexician-American and 5'8.  Although, he's 31 - so he may be already too old since he should be around 25.  Although, there are plenty of good looking Latin actors.
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb