Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1102900 times)

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #615 on: June 11, 2010, 05:57:51 PM »
I've been googling to see who fits my mental images somewhat. Here's what I've found:

Kincaid : Karl Urban.
Thomas : Justin Hartley, even though he's blond.
Michael : Viggo Mortensen (not perfect, but something like that)

I can't quite decide, but Harry is somewhat like Eduardo Verastegui in certain pics.

Murphy : Meg Ryan is the closest I can come to my image ... I have a really hard time picturing Murphy as a blond, though. She always seemed brunette to me.

Charity: Meryl Streep
Molly : Picture something like a punk Kate Bosworth.

Susan: Catherine Zeta Jones

Sorry rose but have to disagree with most of these for a movie (but I can't disagree with how you see them in your head ~_~)

I'll explain.

Karl Urban as Kincaid- no explanation here, I just don't see him as Kincaid.
Justin Hartley as Thomas- I don't know who he is.
Viggo as Michael - Good choice, Sean Bean would be another
Meg Ryan (48) as Murphy -  I loved Meg Ryan when I was growing up. Michelle Pfeiffer, Kathy Ireland, etc. These were my generation of celebrity females. But Meg is little old now to be Murphy. And Meg didn't age well either.
Meryl Streep (60) as Charity - too old, and can you picture Meryl as the wife of Viggo.....uhhhh no.
Kate Bosworth as Molly - Kate is pretty, I am not too sure about her as Molly though.
Catherine Zeta Jones (40) as Susan - a little older than I would picture Susan, Jones would make a good Arianna Ortega

Keep in mind is easier to make someone look older than it is to make someone look younger.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:04:49 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 11, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »
One of the caveats with casting some of these characters is that some of them are immortals.

The Vampires, The Denarians, The Fey, etc.

So casting them by how old the are suppose to look versus who could act most like that character seems to be a challenge.

Most of the suggestions are either to young or too old in someones opinion so I think there should be some liberties taken with both looks and ages if a film series were ever made.

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 11, 2010, 07:04:40 PM »
I thoguht Arianna Ortega looked 16?

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 11, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »
Isn't Arianna Ortega the wife of Duke Ortega, and didn't Duke Ortega look older. I assumed Arianna looked older too.

But your probably right, they are vampires after all, they could look 15 and be 1500.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 11, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »
David webnam is a great actor, and he really gets into his roles, so he would dye his hair black, i mean viggo is blond and he was aragorn, they just died it, and as butters it would be awesome! he has already done nerdy guy, he was the friar in van hellsing, he also does bad guy well. i can see him as Kincaid too
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 11, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
David webnam is a great actor, and he really gets into his roles, so he would dye his hair black, i mean viggo is blond and he was aragorn, they just died it, and as butters it would be awesome! he has already done nerdy guy, he was the friar in van hellsing, he also does bad guy well. i can see him as Kincaid too

Your right about his part in Van Helsing being pretty cowardly and qwerky, but I am trying to picture him doing a one man polka band and I can't see it, he just doesn't look goofy enough to me.

I think he would be better as like one of the Denarians, or maybe Peabody, or the British guy who gaurds the way at Eddenburrough, or Binder, or the Loup-garou.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:41:40 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 11, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »
awesome loup garu, would be a cool nico, maybe the brit, i can see him as binder,
as for goofy, not a lot of actors out there that are goofy, other then like will Ferrel, and just...no. i can see the kid from live free or die hard or that guy from zombie land,
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 11, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »
For those who never saw my cast here is the male cast and the female cast

except move A. Skarsgard to Kincaid, Statham to Warden Morgan (or keep Lang, I am torn), add Bruce Willis as Mac, replace Buscemi with Justin Long, add Simon Pegg as Binder, and David Wenham as Peabody or Loup Garou.

There, I think we almost have it.

*the reason I didn't update the pdf is because the word doc I use to create it has now gotten so large that it takes forever to work with.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 11, 2010, 07:45:19 PM »
would be a cool nico

I was thinking also he could be a pretty good Nic, but only if Gary Oldman and Bill Nighy weren't available.

And yes I know Nighy is older than Nicodemus is suppose to look, but come on, in Underworld as Viktor, and the "join my cursed crew" in Pirates of the Caribbean, it's soo Nicodemus.

And Oldman as Sirius Black....I think that's pretty close too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:49:20 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 11, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
The ultimate toughest casting, who should play Mouse and Mister?

Mouse (he is a chinese fu dog)
in this costume

Mister
this costume

I know what your thinking............and I agree.................AWESOME!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 08:07:57 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Treacle Tart

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 11, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »
Butters... Well I am not really sure how old he is, but being a medical examiner I just imagined he would be at least late 30's if not 40's. I guess they are a little older for the part, Buscemi is 52, Reubens is 57. But I think the fit the character perfectly with the polka playing and the qwerkiness and geekiness.
I definitely cannot see Simon Pegg for this part......Waldo Butters with a British accent.....not feeling that.

Simon Pegg is an actor, and actors often act in different accents. The fact that he is British isn't a disqualifier.

Here's how Butters is described:

from Dead Beat:
Butters was a little guy, maybe five-foot-three in his shoes, maybe 120 pounds soaking wet....He had a shock of wiry black hair that gave him a perpetual look of surprise that stopped just short of being a perpetual look of electrocution.

"Screw up my life?" He stared a me for a second and then said, deadpan, "I'm a five-foot-three, thirty-seven-year-old, single, Jewish medical examiner who needs to pick up his lederhosen from the dry cleaners so that he can play in a one-man polka band at Oktoberfest tomorrow." He pushed up his glasses with his forefinger, folded his arms, and said, "Do your worst."

from White Night:
Butters was an odd little duck. He wasn’t much taller than Murphy, and she probably had more muscle than he did. His shock of black hair resembled nothing so much as an explosion in a steel wool factory. He was all knees and elbows, especially in the surgical greens he was wearing, his face was lean and angular, his nose beaky, and his eyes were bright behind the prescription glasses.

Sorry but 5'10" (approx.) and not-odd-looking-at-all David Wenham would be totally wrong for Butters imo.

Molly... so she looks older than her age, I don't think that means when she is 14 she looks like she is 25, I think it means when she is 14 she looks like she is 17.

But she is around 17-18 in Proven Guilty, when she actually becomes one of the main characters, not 14.

Dakota is a little skinny, but she has played similar roles, Push and Twilight Saga, so I think that qualifies her more than anyone else suggested thus far. Plus yeah she looks young right now because she is 16, she might even fill out some to.

Maybe she could bulk up but can she grow taller than 5'3"?

Description of Molly from Proven Guilty:

She strongly favored her mother, Charity. Both of them were tall for women, only an inch or two under six feet, both of them blond, fair, blue- eyed, and both of them built like the proverbial brick house, somehow managing to combine strength, grace and beauty that showed as much in their bearing, expression, and movement as it did in their appearance.

I just cannot see Dakota Fanning as Molly at all.

But I could definitely get behind Stephen Lang as Morgan though, much more than Jason Statham, who imo, has rather limited acting abilities.

Sorry rose but have to disagree with most of these for a movie .....Meg Ryan (48) as Murphy -  I loved Meg Ryan when I was growing up. Michelle Pfeiffer, Kathy Ireland, etc. These were my generation of celebrity females. But Meg is little old now to be Murphy. And Meg didn't age well either.

I have to disagree with that list too, and you're so right that Meg didn't age well. Not to mention, the bad plastic surgery that turned her into the Joker with fish lips.

Murphy is a hard one to cast, because I have a very specific image of what she should look like from the books:

from Storm Front:
Karrin and I are a study in contrasts. Where I am tall and lean, she's short and stocky. Where I have dark hair and dark eyes, she's got Shirley Temple blond locks and baby blues. Where my features are all lean and angular, with a hawkish nose and a sharp chin, hers are round and smooth, with the kind of cute nose you'd expect on a cheerleader.

from Blood Rites:
Lt. Karrin Murphy, the woman in charge of the Special Investigations division of Chicago PD, stood an even five feet...She was attractive in a pleasantly wholesome kind of way-crystal blue eyes, clear skin, an upturned nose.

Murphy wasn't going to qualify under anyone's definition of willowy or svelte , but she had the build of a gymnast-tough, flexible, and strong.

I can't think of any actress for the role myself, although I can certainly think "no!" to suggestions. :D

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 12, 2010, 03:59:31 AM »
Reese Witherspoon...

The question is... can she do action???

And for all of you out there thinking Kirsten Dunst, a pox upon you!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #627 on: June 12, 2010, 04:16:07 AM »
And for all of you out there thinking Kirsten Dunst, a pox upon you!

gosh no. I don't like her, honestly.

I vote Diane Kruger, but she's too tall.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #628 on: June 12, 2010, 06:37:55 AM »
I'm wondering (although she's 5'6") if this girl could pull of Murphy
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm399217152/nm0695560

Her name is Victoria Pratt. I had forgotten about her and hadn't seen anyone mention her name. She was in Mutant X the series and I think some other show I can't recall. She can kick butt, she's blond and she has the Murphy vibe.

Anyhow... just my 2 cents.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #629 on: June 12, 2010, 07:02:59 AM »
I'm wondering (although she's 5'6") if this girl could pull of Murphy
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm399217152/nm0695560

Her name is Victoria Pratt. I had forgotten about her and hadn't seen anyone mention her name. She was in Mutant X the series and I think some other show I can't recall. She can kick butt, she's blond and she has the Murphy vibe.

Anyhow... just my 2 cents.

oh yeah! I know her! I remember her! I think she can do Murphy. She's got the vibe, yes.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.