Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1103084 times)

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #555 on: May 28, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
This is slightly off topic, but I thought it interesting how Nicolas Cage is the Executive Producer of the Dresden Files TV show and now he is going to play a "sorcerer" in this upcoming film (another Disney movie by the way).

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)
Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) is a master sorcerer in modern-day Manhattan trying to defend the city from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina). Balthazar can't do it alone, so he recruits Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel), a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potential, as his reluctant protégé. The sorcerer gives his unwilling accomplice a crash course in the art and science of magic, and together, these unlikely partners work to stop the forces of darkness. It'll take all the courage Dave can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #556 on: May 28, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
This is slightly off topic, but I thought it interesting how Nicolas Cage is the Executive Producer of the Dresden Files TV show and now he is going to play a "sorcerer" in this upcoming film (another Disney movie by the way).

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)
Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) is a master sorcerer in modern-day Manhattan trying to defend the city from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina). Balthazar can't do it alone, so he recruits Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel), a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potential, as his reluctant protégé. The sorcerer gives his unwilling accomplice a crash course in the art and science of magic, and together, these unlikely partners work to stop the forces of darkness. It'll take all the courage Dave can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

heh, there's a thread dedicated to that in Media Favorites. xD

his costume DOES look heavily inspired by DF covers, though.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 28, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »
heh, there's a thread dedicated to that in Media Favorites. xD

his costume DOES look heavily inspired by DF covers, though.

Wow! Am I super late or what. That thread was started like 6 months ago.
There is a good argument on there though that maybe it isn't a rip off of Dresden but more of a salute to it.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #558 on: May 28, 2010, 04:56:47 PM »
Wow! Am I super late or what. That thread was started like 6 months ago.
There is a good argument on there though that maybe it isn't a rip off of Dresden but more of a salute to it.

I personally think it's more of a salute than a rip off.

I don't think he'd call it a rip off, anyway. Fans would rip off his head for that... ha, ha.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 28, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
Speaking of Sorcerer's Apprentice and it's eerie resemblance to Dresden covers... Anyone seen the posters for Jonas Hex? ;)

We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 28, 2010, 10:27:42 PM »
The Jonah Hex movie is going to suck royally. They're turning a fairly low key comic into a bunch of Micheal Bay blockbuster bullshit.
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 28, 2010, 11:37:05 PM »
Speaking of Sorcerer's Apprentice and it's eerie resemblance to Dresden covers... Anyone seen the posters for Jonas Hex? ;)

Meh this one I think we can write off as simply a similar style.  Jonah's been dressing that way for a lot longer than Dresden.  I try to remain optimistic about this movie myself, the trailers don't look so bad.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 01, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
I thought it looked interesting, but I also immediately thought of "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King, though the story is not at all the same, really the only similarity is supernatural and gunslinger. I hated the later 3 Dark Tower books though, why is it everytime someone goes hollywood there stuff seems to start degrading into crap. Well not really....I only have two in mind Stephen King and George Lucas, the further they climbed, the worse they got.

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:23 AM »
sorry saw a pic of demi lovato and thought - Maggie in a few years- well she's got the chin , and i think she has hispanic and european hertitage. Alot of people probably gonna say no. meh

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:20:27 AM by icecream »

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 02, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
My favorite Spacey role is Verbal in Usual Suspects.

Probably why in "casting" the Alera books I keep putting his face on Fidelius.

Offline Kyre

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 02, 2010, 09:57:14 PM »
I have a friend who i think would be perfect for Molly. She's about the same age, just as quirky, attractive and wild crazy hair (which this week is blood red!) I can't read about Molly without thinking of my friend

(when i get her permission to post a pic, i'll pop one up!)

Ok, got her permission! :P

So, my friend who reminds me of Molly!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 01:11:34 AM by Kyre »
"What you got for firey beam of death!? You got NOTHING for firey beam of death!!!!"

Offline caforever99

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 03, 2010, 06:00:12 PM »
How about Tilda Swinton as Mab and Viggo Mortensen as Michael.

Offline miketh

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 04, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »
Interesting, guess I'll do a partial list of my own:
Harry Dresden - Chris Evans http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0262635/ Specifically check Push for his action and grungy abilities, and the Fantastic Four films for wit and wryness as the Human Torch.
Thomas Raith - Brad Pitt.  The first Dresden Files book I read was Small Favor, and I immediately pictured him in that role.
~Papa Raith - Vincent Cassel.  See Ocean's Twelve for the raw menace he can portray, and just as quickly change it to suave affability.
~Lara Raith -
Ebenezar McCoy - Rip Torn.  The man's name and look bring to mind images of an aging wolverine, which I think suits Eb perfectly.
~Ancient Mai -
~Arthur Langtry - Sir Ian McKellan.  I would've said Sirs Ian Holm or Christopher Lee, but the first is kind of on the small side and Lee is too outright-menacing :D
~Joseph Listens-to-Wind -
~Martha Liberty -
~Rashid - Alexander Siddig.  He played the man Orlando Bloom spared in Kingdom of Heaven, who turned out to be Saladin's Chancellor.  A very witty, but grave, guy.
~Aleron LaFortier -
~Gregori Cristos - Bill Nighy.  He'll be playing Rufus Scrimgeour in the last Harry Potter film, which I see as kind of similar in appearance to this role.
Michael Carpenter - Jeremy Irons.  Seen the Kingdom of Heaven?
~Molly Carpenter - Dakota Fanning.  Again, see Push.
~Charity Carpenter - Sandra Bullock.  Yep.
Mab -
~Maeve - Megan Fox.  I hate hate hate her, which I think would be great fuel for this role.
~Lloyd Slate - Viggo Mortenson.  I think it would be a great role for him, definitely breaking the mould from how he usually performs.
~Leahansidhe -
Uriel - Morgan Freeman.  He's done God before, yeah, but I can't get him out of my head for playing Uriel (all shape-shifting aside!).
Mac - Bruce Willis.  Done.

Wooh!  I'll fill in the blanks later.

Offline Strange

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 04, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »
I feel the need to post Lee Pace again... just cus I'm re-watching Pushing Daisies and I think he'd be perfect as Harry.

Offline MeGyver

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 05, 2010, 01:46:01 AM »
Ok, so here is my fan cast, given an unlimited budget, good prevailing winds and a proper alignment of the planets.

Director(yes, I even thought about this): Joss Whedon
Producer: J.J. Abrams (Moar lenseflare)
Screen Play: Jim Butcher

Harry: Nathan Fillion (For his delivery, I know he doesn't have the perfect look, but the other actors I considered as Harry don't have the presence to carry a movie)
Murphy: Elizabeth Banks  http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/showhype/photos_large/2008/09/15/tn2_elizabeth_banks_4.jpg
Bob: (Depending on what we're going for with the movie) Hugh Laurie's voice (for a darker film), Alan Tudyk (lighter, more action-comedy style)
Thomas: Sean Maher
Molly:
The Archive: Elle Fanning (Dakota's all grown up, time for Elle to take up the mantle of playing creepy ethereal children.
Michael: Eric Bana (lighten his hair a bit)   http://laughinggasonline.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/eric-bana.jpg
Gerald Butler  http://trobentica.blog.siol.net/files/2008/11/gerardbutler.jpg
http://littlejunkies.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/gerard-butler.jpg
Paul Bettany  http://topazbean.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/bettany-chaucer.jpg
Charity Carpenter: Laura Linney
Ebenezar McCoy: Sean Connery or Gene Hackman
Marcone: Robert Downey Jr.
Morgan: Anthony Hopkins (Circa 10 Years ago) or Liam Neeson
Lara Raith: Angelina Jolie
Carlos Ramirez: Jon Huertas
Susan: Cote De Pablo
Butters: Brian Dietzen (already played an ME)
Johnny Galecki (adorkable)
John Francis Daley
T.J. Thyne
Mortimer Linquist (because it's my fancast): Nicholas Brendon
Lasciel/Lash: Scarlett Johansson
Nicodemus: Hugh Laurie (if not bob)
Christian Bale (I don't like him at all, but he did restrained crazy well)
Paul Bettany (if not Michael)
Simon Baker
Lea: Cate Blanchette
Summer Queen: Nicole Kidman
Justine: Dakota Fanning
Maeve: Christina Ricci
Toot-Toot: Anton Yelchin

All I've got for now.
LLAP