Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1103070 times)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #540 on: May 26, 2010, 06:25:34 PM »
go go Nathan Fillion! I... Am a genius ;)

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 27, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
Well my post @ McAnally's (The Friendly Pub) is down for renovations so I am back here posting my thoughts about dream casting. I noticed some things on here I missed before.

I saw Johnny Depp mentioned, I love Johnny (Jack Sparrow, Willy Wonka, Ed Scissorhands, etc.) but I just can't see him in the Dresden Files movie. Others I like but can't see in this are Brad Pitt, Ed Norton, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Russel Crowe, Mel Gibson, Kevin Spacey, Jude Law, Christopher Walken, Joaquin Phoenix, Benecio Del Toro, ....the list goes on, the point is I just don't think they have the right feel for this.

Someone said Billy Connolly as Eb. I like him a lot, Boondock Saints is one of my favorites. He has the look but I have never heard Billy Connolly do a southern accent. Can he do it? Other Tommy Lee Jones, didn't like this idea at first but after seeing some recent images of Tommy Lee Jones, I think it could work, he can definitely do Kentucty Fried. Sam Elliot was mentioned too, I can't picture him as a wizard (even though he was in Golden Compass).

A lot of people see Salma Hayek as Susan, but I think she just wouldn't fit as the love interest of anyone cast as Harry. Salma is great, she does sci-fi/fantasy well (from Dusk til Dawn, Vampires Assistant) but I can't see her as Susan, maybe Bianca........actually I like that since the Red Courts power base is sort of south american.

Gary Oldman....well just check out my cast below.

I keep hearing Tilda Swinton as Winter Queen (because she played the Winter Witch in Narnia). However, Mab is suppose to be like Drop Dead Georgous and to me Tilda Swinton just doesn't really fit that. See who i chose.

I had Danny Trejo as Injun Joe, but someone mention Wes Studi and I liked that idea better.

Ian McKellan (Gandolf) I can't see him as the Merlin, I don't know if he can be as pretencious as the Merlin. Although as Magneto he did a pretty good job. I would like to see Ian somewhere in this but I can't think of where, thought about having him as the Gatekeeper, but Rashid is middle eastern.

I have Christopher Lee as my Merlin, I thought he would make a good Lord Raith, but many say no way. Other suggestion for Raith was Vincent Cassel. I can see that, but can Cassel do an American accent yet? I think he still has a French accent and I don't know if that would work for Lord Raith.

I have Viggo Mortisen (Aragorn LOTR) as my Michael , but someone mentioned him (Eastern Promises) as Marcone. That would be a good alternate role.

Stuart Townsend as Thomas.......yeah he played a vampire....but did he play it well? He also played Dorian Gray in LOEG. Have to say no to Townsend, I am a huge fan of Anne Rice's Vampire and Witch chronicles and the Queen of the Damned movie just didn't do the books any justice, so unfortunately Townsend gets lumped in with that dissapointment of a movie.

Tim Roth as Kincaid. I can't see that. I love Tim Roth, but can't see him as Kincaid even after his role in The Hulk. I see Roth more as one of the villians, like maybe a Denarius or White Court Vamp. Someone also said Alexander Skarsgard as Kincaid. I can't see that either, I love Skarsgard too, and I squeezed him in my fake cast, but he just can't top who I have as Kincaid. (D@mn it all! Alexander Skarsgard should be THOR in the movie, but they got the dude that was in Star Trek for a whole 2 minutes)

Haven't added this to my cast pdf, but definitely see Bruce Wills as Mac.

Updated Cast:
Male Casthttp://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8NfYpeXR_TAYjQ4MzU1YmUtOTQ2Mi00OTY1LTk0NjAtMzA1MGZiODhiYjk3&hl=en
Female Casthttp://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8NfYpeXR_TANzdkMzVmYzQtNmU1OS00YmNlLWJjZDItMDYyMzg3NTlhMWQ2&hl=en

Some runner-ups or actors that didn't make my cast....yet (there are still more books coming) and are not already mentioned above are:
guys: Ray Stevenson, Jame McAvoy, Kevin Durand, Liev Schreiber, Michael Sheen, Geoffrey Rush, Gil Birmingham, Crispin Glover, Cristoph Waltz, Jeremy Irons,
gals: Tea Leoni, Sienna Miller, Emma Watson, Michelle Trachtenberg, Hayden Panetierre, Lily Cole

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 27, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
*handwave*  I ignore your foolish belief that Kevin Spacey wouldn't fit.  The man's the most versatile actor working in Hollywood with maybe the exception of Gary Oldman.  He's my Nicodemus and any suggestions to the contrary do not exist in my reality. ;D

Just a note that Eb is not Southern.  He's from Missouri.  That's not the South.  It's the midwest.  The question would be if Billy could do a midwestern mountain man accent, but I agree that would be a concern.  On looks and 'tude, though, he's aces and it's one of my favorite suggestions to come out of this thread.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 27, 2010, 05:34:26 PM »
i can see kevin spacy as nico, but i like gary oldman more as nico
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 27, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
Ebenezar is a freaking Scotsman

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 27, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
Is he? i could never really tell.  ??? :-[ :D
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #546 on: May 27, 2010, 05:47:02 PM »

He is. They even mention it in the books, particularly when he gets reminiscent, or when Harry (or someone else, but it's usually Harry) pisses him off. His Scots burr comes through. He's just been living in/owned the farm in Hog Hollow for so long that the Scots burr has diminished significantly.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 27, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »
*handwave*  I ignore your foolish belief that Kevin Spacey wouldn't fit.  The man's the most versatile actor working in Hollywood with maybe the exception of Gary Oldman.  He's my Nicodemus and any suggestions to the contrary do not exist in my reality. ;D

Just a note that Eb is not Southern.  He's from Missouri.  That's not the South.  It's the midwest.  The question would be if Billy could do a midwestern mountain man accent, but I agree that would be a concern.  On looks and 'tude, though, he's aces and it's one of my favorite suggestions to come out of this thread.

Oldman is my Nic. I love Kevin Spacey (Kaiser Souzai), but I don't think he could nail Nicodemus, he is also a bit too old I think. Nicodemus is suppose to be like 30ish, and though Oldman is about 50, he still looks pretty young with some makeup. If Oldman wasn't an option I could see Spacey playing Nic.

*burn* I stand corrected, your right about Eb being midwestern, not southern. Connolly has it all, but I would have to hear him do a midwestern accent. For practicality though I can see Rip Torn (Dodgeball) and Tommy Lee Jones (No Country for Old Men) pulling off the accent and attitude, with the exception that they may not be convincinng as wizards when they have to start slinging magic around. (coincidentally they were both in MIB)

Maybe so, but he has spent his last few decades as Midwestern, so for all practical purposes he is midwestern.

If he was still a very Scottish Scotsman I would have probably cast someone like Sean Connery.....in a kilt.....with a bagpipe. Or grounds keeper Willy from the Simpsons.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:48:58 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 27, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
Sean Connery would probably work actually.
In overalls.  Wow, I would pay to see that.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #549 on: May 27, 2010, 05:49:52 PM »
If he was still a very Scottish Scotsman I would have probably cast someone like Sean Connery.....in a kilt.....with a bagpipe.

Which just might be this side of disturbing. I love Sean Conner, but, uh... no.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 27, 2010, 05:51:44 PM »
Apropos of nothing but Kevin Spacey's versatility, I had a Kevin Spacey Movie Marathon one night.  Back to back, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil followed by K-Pax.  I almost broke something in my brain.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 27, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »
Apropos of nothing but Kevin Spacey's versatility, I had a Kevin Spacey Movie Marathon one night.  Back to back, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil followed by K-Pax.  I almost broke something in my brain.

I totally agree on Spacey's versatility, but I think Oldman has him beat on that count.

Oldman: Dracula, True Romance as Drexl Spivey, Stansfield in The Professional/Leon, Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg in Fifth Element, Mason Verger in Hannibal, Rolfe (a midget) in Tiptoes,  Sirius Black in Harry Potter, Jim Gordon in Batman, Carnegie in the Book of Eli.

I am just hitting the highlights. I bolded his role as Sirius because I think that is relevant to the subject matter here.

Spacey plays great roles but nothing as far out as Oldman has accomplished.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 27, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »
Oh no, I agree that Oldman's crazy-versatile.   I just have a soft spot for Spacey. :D

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 27, 2010, 08:15:19 PM »
My favorite Spacey role is Verbal in Usual Suspects.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 28, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »
Screw it - let's get BOTH of them in on any Butcher screen version. The screen would explode from the overload of awesome.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.