Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1103636 times)

logarithm.and.blues

Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #435 on: May 14, 2010, 11:29:27 PM »
Let's see... round 3
Harry Dresden- Nathan Fillion
Ebenezar McCoy-Billy Connolly
The Merlin-Christopher Lee
Listens to Wind-Wes Studi-Last of the Mohican’s showed his skill plus I just want to see him do the Shag/LTW duel
Martha Liberty-Marianne Jean-Baptiste-She plays no-nonsense well from Without a trace.
The Gatekeeper-Ghassan Massoud-He did well in Kingdom of Heaven
Captain Luccio-Judi Dench
Corpsetaker/Captain Luccio 2.0-Summer Glau-Is there something that said that she was Italian?  I just know she could handle the oddity of Corpsetaker and still be combat impressive as Luccio 2.0
Warden Morgan-Liam Neeson- after Kingdom of Heaven, Taken, and Batman Begins I think he could handle Morgan
Warden Ramirez-Oscar Jaenada maybe… he’s in the movie The Losers
Susan Rodriguez-Salma Hayek
Karrin Murphy-Kathryn Morris-She looks to be rather petite in Cold Case and she can play the cop well, Pretty enough to be dismissed though
Thomas Raith-Stuart Townsend-already has experience playing the pretty vamp
Lara Raith-Catherine Zeta-Jones
John Marcone-Gary Oldman-supposed to come across as a football coach not mr sinister.
Valkyrie Gard-Ali Larter
Cujo Hendricks-Stellan Skarsgård- after seeing him in King Arthur I think he may do… although otherwise I can’t think of any other red haired guys that could pull it off… Unless maybe just look for someone from the NFL with red hair built like a Sherman tank… It’s not like Cujo has many lines… just has to be able to growl.
Michael Carpenter-Russel Crowe- can handle the action, has the build, and can handle the family aspect
Charity Carpenter-Rebecca Romijn
Molly Carpenter-Laura Vandervoort- she has shown some action ability on Smallville
Bob-Hugh Laurie- just thought of this one…since people want British (he is) and he has the snark and dirty mind of Bob down on House.
Mac-Adam Baldwin- I just can’t think of anyone else who can put as much into as few syllables as he can.
Sanya-Michael Clarke Duncan- the only guy big and strong enough that I could believe the backboard scene with
Shiro-Ken Watanabe- I might say the quiet samurai from the Last Samurai but without having heard him speak don’t know.  But Ken can handle the swordplay.
Mab-Tilda Swinton (maybe a little Typecasting) or possibly
Maeve-Christina Ricci- someone else suggested her but I can see it.
Kincaid-Daniel Craig- can handle the scary action dude.
Ivy-Elle Fanning-Dakota’s little sister could get tips from sis on being the uber creepy little girl
Lea-Amanda Righetti- attractive redhead
Elaine Mallory-Keira Knightly…hmm?
Donner Vadderung-Was thinking maybe Ray Stevenson
Butters-David Krumholtz- not very tall- can play the geeky, quirky genius, Jew as evidenced by Numb3rs.
Forthill-Gerald McRaney
I'm just gonna skip around here.
Fillion-totally. he pulled off snark as Mal Reynolds, and he's got the look. sort of.
Chris Lee-seems very Merlin-y to me. he did a good job as saruman. maybe Ian McKellen, too, only because I never envisioned the Merlin with a beard.
Krumholtz-def. Chris Mintz-Plasse, too, possibly.
Daniel Craig-TOTALLY. Kincaid=meaner, more effective version of James Bond.
Adam Baldwin-Eh... he's still Jayne Cobb to me. can't imagine Jayne Cobb as a bartender.
Hugh Laurie-YES.
Salma Hayek-...nah, still like Eva Mendes for looks.
Gary Oldman-...he's still Commissioner Gordon to me. cop to gangster seems weird.
Russell Crowe-maybe.
Laura Vandervoort-possible.
Summer Glau-yep. she can kick ass handily, as seen in Serenity.
Liam Neeson-maybe. I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan for the role.
I say Morgan Freeman for Jake/Uriel.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #436 on: May 14, 2010, 11:53:15 PM »
Liam Neeson-maybe. I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan for the role.

As Morgan? I CAN SEE THIS.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Tempus Corvus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 17, 2010, 01:13:20 AM »
After watching Hot Fuzz and The End of Time, I can only see Timothy Dalton as Nicodemus.
Nathan Fillion might make a good Michael, although the beard might be an issue. I can actually see him as Harry more than Michael.

Bob-John Simms
Shagnasty-Gabriel Wolf (Sutekh in "Pyramids of Mars" and The Beast in "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h02ktxRsGSs&feature=related this voice.

Erlking-Keith David (voice only, he was the voice of The Arbiter, Anderson in Mass Effect, the Cat in Coraline, and GOLIATH in Gargoyles)
Uriel-Morgan Freeman
Thomas-John Barrowman. The hair might be an issue though.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0057882/

That's all I can think of for now.

EDIT: Actually, David Tennant would make a great Bob.

I think I've been watching too much Doctor Who lately.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:04:12 AM by Tempus Corvus »
My Dresden Files Purity Rating is 40%. It'd be higher if I could find the time to actually play the DFRPG.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 17, 2010, 01:40:54 AM »
i had an idea for rashid, all though he is a bit young. oded fehr, you probably know him from the mummy movies and resident evil
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Dayman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 17, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »
Is there such a thing as too much Doctor Who? Also Morgan Freeman as Uriel? Lock that up right now! I just reread SmF and every line of his is accompanied by Morgan Freemans voice. They should cast him now and worry about the rest of the movie later.

Offline Scarecrow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 17, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »
i had an idea for rashid, all though he is a bit young. oded fehr, you probably know him from the mummy movies and resident evil

Good plan. Do we ever see Rashid's face clearly?

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 17, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
I think so, it was either summer knight or Proven guilty, but i could be horriably wrong. if we havent we proabably will by the time the apoclaypse happens

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 19, 2010, 10:49:10 PM »
paul bettany is my dresden, especially after inkheart and knights tale, except he is blond and english, but he can tone it down, and if he is blond it could be like daniel craig and bond

and so you can see him in a coat, so he is early harryized

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 20, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »
If price were no obstacle, and you could succesful get this many stars to work together, I have put together my ideal Dresden Cast. Some of the ages are a bit off, and some of the characters could fit the look better, but I have taken much consideration on acting talent as well based off similar roles.

There have been some good names I glanced over and many of them could be runner-ups IMO but I also considered relations for my cast. For example, Thomas and Harry need to look like they are related, and Lord Raith would have to look like he could be Thomas' father. Inari and Lara should look like they could be sisters and related to Thomas as well, etc.

Some other good actors that I like (for this kind of movie, most have played fantasy roles):
Kristen Bell, Benecio del Toro, Christopher Waltz, Eric Bana, James Marsters, Liev Schreiber, Kevin Durand, Hugo Weaving, Ian McKellan, Geoffrey Rush, Patrick Stewart, Ewan McGregor, Ralph Fiennes, Willem Dafoe, Liam Neeson, Joaquin Phoenix, Michael Sheen, Russell Crowe, Jude Law, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich,James McAvoy, etc.

I am sure I could go on forever with good actors that I like, but I also considered the chemistry of the actors. For example someone really famous like Brad Pitt, Keanu Reeves, Johnny Depp, probably wouldn't go over well as a cameo part, albeit I have casted some big hitters for small roles in my fantasy cast, but I was trying to squeeze in my favorites.

Without further adieu my Dresden Cast (pdf):
Male Roles
Female Roles
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:08:36 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 20, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
I still need a Ms. Gard, Rashid/Gatekeeper, Uriel, Margaret Gwendolyn LeFay McCoy Dresden , Margaret Angelica Dresden,  McAnally, Father Anthony Forthill, Red King, Lord Raith, Martin, The Ordo Lebes, the other Denarius, Madrigal Raith, Tera West, etc.

I wanted to go with C. Lee as Lord Raith but i thought he made a good Merlin too. But Max von Sydow could be a good Merlin alternate.

Paul Bettany already played an Archangel recently maybe he could be my Uriel.

Maybe Cate Blanchett as my Margaret LeFay.

Red King might be tough, i need a hispanic stalky shorter guy that can play crazy and scary, but i already cast Danny Trejo as Injun Joe, maybe I can move him, and cast the guy who plays Billy Black in Twilight as Injun Joe.

Madrigal Raith = Mark Strong. I think would be good for this part.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:34:53 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 20, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
Good plan. Do we ever see Rashid's face clearly?

**SPOILER ALERT**
Yes, Rashid takes his hood off at the island on the dock before Dresden faces the Negloshi (shapeshifter). He has a fake eye, scar, etc. Book 10 or 11, I can't remember now.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »
**SPOILER ALERT**
Yes, Rashid takes his hood off at the island on the dock before Dresden faces the Negloshi (shapeshifter). He has a fake eye, scar, etc. Book 10 or 11, I can't remember now.

It would be book 11, first page of Chapter 39.

"Wizard Rashid?" I asked.
     The Gatekeeper's staff never wavered as he faced me. He lifted a hand and drew back his hood. His face was long and sharp-featured and weathered like old leather. He wore a short beard that was shot through with silver, and his silver hair was a short, stiff brush. One of his eyes was dark. The other had a pair of horrible old silver scars running though it, from his hairline down to his jaw. The injury had to have ruined his natural eye. It had been replaced with something that looked like a stainless-steel ball bearing. "Indeed," he said calmly.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #447 on: May 20, 2010, 08:58:01 PM »
I like the little girl in this ad for IVY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdetQH_6SWU

She has that young Dakota Fanning vibe and i know people liked DF for the role.

Offline Dryrat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2010, 11:44:47 AM »
I'm kind of torn between thinking that Hugh Laurie would do serious justice to the role of Harry, and knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that no one could be better as the voice of Bob. (just think of Gregory House saying"that's because you're an idiot")

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »
I'm kind of torn between thinking that Hugh Laurie would do serious justice to the role of Harry, and knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that no one could be better as the voice of Bob. (just think of Gregory House saying"that's because you're an idiot")

I think Hugh Laurie has the look and could pull off the sarcasm, I just don't know if he could pull of badass wizard when the time comes. IMO after seeing Clive Owen in Sin City and Shoot Em Up, I think he could be badass when needed, and from the movie Closer he can play serious as hell and sarcastic.

As far as Bob, if they do only a voice than he probably would be a good choice. But if they were to manifest him like they did in the TV show than I would still go with Eddie Izzard.