Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1113267 times)

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #420 on: May 10, 2010, 03:54:15 PM »
Kevin Spacey is still my Nicodemus.  Though his salary alone would mean the rest of the movie would have to be done by grips carrying cardboard cutouts around.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #421 on: May 10, 2010, 11:16:13 PM »
Kevin Spacey is still my Nicodemus.  Though his salary alone would mean the rest of the movie would have to be done by grips carrying cardboard cutouts around.

I can see it now...

Harry: "Fuego!" ::hophophop::
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Scarecrow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 12, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #423 on: May 13, 2010, 02:43:16 AM »
David Nykl is Butters

http://www.davidnykl.com/2008_pictures/Stargate-Atlantis-Dr-Zelenk.jpg

Really? I kinda see David Wenham.

If he looks familiar at all, that's because he played Faramir in LoTR The Two Towers and The Return of The King, Carl the crazy-ass inventor monk dude from Van Helsing, and Delios from 300.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Ursiel

• Posty McPostington
  • Voy perdiendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 13, 2010, 03:33:05 AM »
Okay, I'm just weird, so let me just say who I have in mind whenever I'm reading.

Harry: The Harry that's portrayed on the cover of Proven Guilty, when I think of Harry, I always think of that.

Murphy: Gillian Anderson(In this photo at least >.>)

Ebenezer: I don't know why, but I always imagine Alec Guinness.

Bob: Again, I'm weird, but I always imagined Eric Idle's voice.

As for the other characters, I don't really know of any actors who could fit the part. o-o
Now I stand, the lion before the lambs... and they do not fear.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 13, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »
One of david webnams best films is austraila, it was the first time i saw him play the bad guy, and i guess i can see him as butters, i always saw the main guy from scrubs
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline bellmaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 13, 2010, 02:02:40 PM »
Don't Know if he has been posted for Harry Timothy Oliphant form Deadwood and Justified for Harry he has the mence and the build.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #427 on: May 13, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »

Bob: Again, I'm weird, but I always imagined Eric Idle's voice.

Ooh! I love that idea! Actually, pretty much the voice of any Monty Python-ite would work in this case, I think. I've always loved John Cleese's voice :)

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Dayman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 13, 2010, 09:31:41 PM »
John Cleese could make Bob really funny but for whatever reason I have always thought of Bob as having a younger sounding voice. Is it mentioned that he has a British accent? I don't remember reading that and I am much to far away from my books to double check.

BtHMv2

« Reply #429 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:33 PM »
Saw Virginia Madsen in something yesterday, I think she'd make a good Murphy.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #430 on: May 13, 2010, 10:27:56 PM »
John Cleese could make Bob really funny but for whatever reason I have always thought of Bob as having a younger sounding voice. Is it mentioned that he has a British accent? I don't remember reading that and I am much to far away from my books to double check.

Excerpt from Storm Front, the audio book: http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/1/jm9chocolate1.mp3

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Dayman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 13, 2010, 11:10:51 PM »
Ok so having Bob with a British accent works but was it mentioned in the books or is this just the way that people interpret him? I only ask so that I can narrow down my choices for who should play him. On a side note has anyone considered Helen Mirren for the role of Luccio's orignal body? I know that she is not Italian but she definatly can play an athority figure as seen in the Queen. And she has some action backround from National Treasure.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #432 on: May 14, 2010, 12:41:56 AM »
Just found this listing in a comment on THIS page:

Harry Dresden – Jared Padalecki
Karrin Murphy – Sarah Michelle Gellar
Donald Morgan – Eric Roberts
Susan Rodriguez- Melina Perez (WWE)
Thomas Raith- Tom Welling
Michael Carpenter- Christian Kane
Bob The Skull- Jeff Goldblum
Johnnie Marcone – Ryan Reynolds
Ebenezar McCoy- Sam Elliott
Lea- Emma Caulfield

Someone is a WB/CW fan :)

The OP of the page has a completely different cast listing. Nathan Fillion's on it -- listed as Michael Carpenter :D I don't agree with a lot of it, though. He/She mentions Clive Owen for the role of Harry, and Cillian Murphy to play Thomas. Personally, years ago, I did a mock-up of a professional wrestler known as John Morrison, as he would look with pale white skin and glossy black hair (which, as his hair is already dark-ish brown, wasn't too hard to do). The picture I used has Morrison looking kinda cocky, but then, before we really got to know Thomas in the books, that's kinda what Harry thought of him, too :)

Here's the before/after I did:

Before

After

My after's not very good, lol.

And to the other, the more people mention Sarah Michelle Gellar as playing Karrin Murphy, the more I want to see it happen. Tiny, ass-kicking blonde woman! As far as Christian Kane portraying Michael, I can't really see, but that may be because I'm used to seeing him as the hands-on former Black Ops dude on Leverage. And Sam Elliott as Ebenezar... Yes. I like this. I like this very much.

Ok so having Bob with a British accent works but was it mentioned in the books or is this just the way that people interpret him? I only ask so that I can narrow down my choices for who should play him.

I really don't know. All I know is that James uses an English accent (which makes me swoon) to portray Bob in the books, and Terrence Mann portrayed Bob with an English accent on the show... and Jim didn't say a word about it... unlike the unfortunate attempt to rename Harry "Eric..." So I'm assuming that, if Jim's okay with Bob having an English accent, then that's the way he should be portrayed.

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline ravengood

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 14, 2010, 03:52:51 PM »
Let's see... round 3
Harry Dresden- Nathan Fillion
Ebenezar McCoy-Billy Connolly
The Merlin-Christopher Lee
Listens to Wind-Wes Studi-Last of the Mohican’s showed his skill plus I just want to see him do the Shag/LTW duel
Martha Liberty-Marianne Jean-Baptiste-She plays no-nonsense well from Without a trace.
The Gatekeeper-Ghassan Massoud-He did well in Kingdom of Heaven
Captain Luccio-Judi Dench
Corpsetaker/Captain Luccio 2.0-Summer Glau-Is there something that said that she was Italian?  I just know she could handle the oddity of Corpsetaker and still be combat impressive as Luccio 2.0
Warden Morgan-Liam Neeson- after Kingdom of Heaven, Taken, and Batman Begins I think he could handle Morgan
Warden Ramirez-Oscar Jaenada maybe… he’s in the movie The Losers
Susan Rodriguez-Salma Hayek
Karrin Murphy-Kathryn Morris-She looks to be rather petite in Cold Case and she can play the cop well, Pretty enough to be dismissed though
Thomas Raith-Stuart Townsend-already has experience playing the pretty vamp
Lara Raith-Catherine Zeta-Jones
John Marcone-Gary Oldman-supposed to come across as a football coach not mr sinister.
Valkyrie Gard-Ali Larter
Cujo Hendricks-Stellan Skarsgård- after seeing him in King Arthur I think he may do… although otherwise I can’t think of any other red haired guys that could pull it off… Unless maybe just look for someone from the NFL with red hair built like a Sherman tank… It’s not like Cujo has many lines… just has to be able to growl.
Michael Carpenter-Russel Crowe- can handle the action, has the build, and can handle the family aspect
Charity Carpenter-Rebecca Romijn
Molly Carpenter-Laura Vandervoort- she has shown some action ability on Smallville
Bob-Hugh Laurie- just thought of this one…since people want British (he is) and he has the snark and dirty mind of Bob down on House.
Mac-Adam Baldwin- I just can’t think of anyone else who can put as much into as few syllables as he can.
Sanya-Michael Clarke Duncan- the only guy big and strong enough that I could believe the backboard scene with
Shiro-Ken Watanabe- I might say the quiet samurai from the Last Samurai but without having heard him speak don’t know.  But Ken can handle the swordplay.
Mab-Tilda Swinton (maybe a little Typecasting) or possibly
Maeve-Christina Ricci- someone else suggested her but I can see it.
Kincaid-Daniel Craig- can handle the scary action dude.
Ivy-Elle Fanning-Dakota’s little sister could get tips from sis on being the uber creepy little girl
Lea-Amanda Righetti- attractive redhead
Elaine Mallory-Keira Knightly…hmm?
Donner Vadderung-Was thinking maybe Ray Stevenson
Butters-David Krumholtz- not very tall- can play the geeky, quirky genius, Jew as evidenced by Numb3rs.
Forthill-Gerald McRaney

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 14, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »
Well, half of those actors i havent ever heard about(summer glau, that dude from the losers. the guy u have as thomas)
And there is only one probablem woth the thomas guy, he is experinced at playing the vampire, not the cool, funny sucbus type vampire.
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"