Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1102898 times)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #405 on: May 08, 2010, 04:15:10 AM »
Dude, the fight in once upon a time in mexico
(click to show/hide)
could totaly see him as kincaid, he would have been a good thomas when he was younger, but now he is to old, i picture him young and pretty.

and you have all got to remeber, johnny depp is the most choicey of actors on earth!!, seriously, turned down titaninc, speed and a bunch of huge movies, he only does it if he likes the character and can seriously explore it

Which, as Kincaid, he'd probably go a little nuts with :D
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline theSandman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 08, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
some thoughts:

Karrin - Katee Sackhoff (if you've only seen her in BSG you may not agree, watch her Bionic Woman spots or The Sentinel).

Eb McCoy - Brendan Gleeson (28 Days Later, Harry Potter films)

Morgan - Mel Gibson (Braveheart, We Were Soldiers)

Luccio 2.0 - Jessica Biel (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, London)

Michael - Josh Holloway (Lost) or Viggo Mortensen (The Lord of the Rings, A History of Violence)

Butters - Simon Pegg (Star Trek, Shaun of the Dead) or Butters from South Park, you decide.

Marcone - Bill Duke (I know he does not fit the physical description at ALL, but something about the way James Marsters reads Marcone, makes me picture a soft-talking Bill Duke).

Erlking or maybe Kincaid - Alexander Skarsgard (True Blood, Generation Kill)

Sadly, I can think of no actor qualified to play Harry in all respects, so here's a list of some that work for different reasons: James Marsters. No way can he hit the height mark at 5'9", but he kills the soul and voice of Harry. Joe Flanigan from Stargate: Atlantis may have some of the looks/attitude down, but probably not the acting chops or the light-hearted side of Harry.
"We both got into the blue beetle. He got into the red door, I got into the white one."

Offline matorade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • jace41
« Reply #407 on: May 08, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
Let's see...
Listens to Wind-Wes Studi
Karrin Murphy-Kathryn Morris
Valkyrie Gard-Ali Larter
Cujo Hendricks-?
Molly Carpenter-Laura Vandervoort
Sanya-Michael Clarke Duncan

Probably it's just me, I was think of somebody along like these:

Listen to Wind-Graham Greene (he may be too old now but since this thread is about "perfect casting" so)
Karrin Murphy-Yvonne Strahovski (she may be too pretty to be Murphy but hell she can kick butt)
Valkyrie Gard-Kristanna Loken
Molly Carpenter-Jordan Hinson
Sanya-Djimon Hounsou (minus the Russian accent)
Cujo Hendricks-Brock Lesner
Casey: You're looking for this? (gives Chuck his Stanford student ID)
Chuck: You stole my ID?
Casey: I borrowed it to reactivate it. Sorry I couldn't wipe the idiot grin off your face with photoshop.

Offline John 1:17

• Conversationalist
  • For the Za-Lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 08, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »
Hendricks ?

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #409 on: May 08, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »
Hendricks ?

Wow, that is a frightening man.

... or Viggo Mortensen (The Lord of the Rings, A History of Violence)

*gasp* I can't believe I never even thought of Viggo as Michael! He's soft-spoken, and violent when need be, and the whole way through LoTR, he kept giving off this aura of calm... that sounds pretty much like Michael to me! I vote Viggo for Michael Carpenter! Good call, Sandman :)

Of course, with this image, he could nail the role of John Marcone, too...

Sadly, I can think of no actor qualified to play Harry in all respects, so here's a list of some that work for different reasons: James Marsters. No way can he hit the height mark at 5'9", but he kills the soul and voice of Harry. Joe Flanigan from Stargate: Atlantis may have some of the looks/attitude down, but probably not the acting chops or the light-hearted side of Harry.

I have never seen Stargate: Atlantis, so I don't really know who Joe Flanigan is... And I heard somewhere that JB originally wanted to have JM audition for Harry on the Syfy show, but James wouldn't leave his kids. (Which is both awwww! :) and Awwwww! :( ) And yeah, his height was definitely an issue, lol. I've heard about ten different accounts, saying he's anywhere from 5'7.5" to 5'11". However, James' hair is naturally afro-ish (you should see pics of him from his high school days -- so funny), so I think that leads to a lot of improper conclusions about his height. He would have had to wear lifts or something to achieve the right height.

This is actually a picture of him with his hair straight (?!)
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 08, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
Which, as Kincaid, he'd probably go a little nuts with :D
Yep, who woudnt want to be the mysterious bad ass?

and viggo would be a great michael, and he would be a good macrone, because he was awsome in eastern promsies "you may want to leave" but for some reason, and you probably all think this is crazy, but i always see christopeher lee as macrone.
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline ravengood

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 08, 2010, 06:38:55 PM »
Hmm...
Harry Dresden: Nathan Filion-Serenity and Castle show the the underdog and the snark.
Bob-Michael Caine-Dark Knight show the humor.
Thomas 2nd pick: Stuart Townsend already has played the pretty vamp
John Marcone:Gary Oldman -Remember Marcone is described as coming across as a football coach  Not so much sinister
Michael Carpenter:Russel Crowe -he has the build, has the action chops and as far as family acting see Cinderella Man
Shiro-Ken Watanabe- I would say the old Samurai in the Last Samurai but I have never heard him speak...Ken however has some acting chops and can handle the swordplay
Sanya-Must be Michael Clarke Duncan- The description of him with his shirt of in Small Favor and the whole intimidation thing recently He is a very big VERY STRONG MAN

Offline Tzarii

• Conversationalist
  • Always out front yet behind the scenes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 08, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
For Kincaid/ Hell Hound: Timothy Roth

For Marcone:  Joe Montaigna (I think thats how its spelled), the guy who does mob boss from the simpsons. 

For Billy:  the Mac guy. 

My 2 cents.
I am Intell.  I am powered by coffee, rage and despair.  But mostly the first two.

Offline theSandman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 08, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
*gasp* I can't believe I never even thought of Viggo as Michael! He's soft-spoken, and violent when need be, and the whole way through LoTR, he kept giving off this aura of calm... that sounds pretty much like Michael to me! I vote Viggo for Michael Carpenter! Good call, Sandman :)

Yeah, I like him for it, too. Just his air of family duty in A History of Violence and his sword fighting in LoTR.

I have never seen Stargate: Atlantis, so I don't really know who Joe Flanigan is... And I heard somewhere that JB originally wanted to have JM audition for Harry on the Syfy show, but James wouldn't leave his kids. (Which is both awwww! :) and Awwwww! :( ) And yeah, his height was definitely an issue, lol. I've heard about ten different accounts, saying he's anywhere from 5'7.5" to 5'11". However, James' hair is naturally afro-ish (you should see pics of him from his high school days -- so funny), so I think that leads to a lot of improper conclusions about his height. He would have had to wear lifts or something to achieve the right height.

I'll do some thumbnails for Joe Flanigan below. Marsters is supposed to be 5'9.5" according to most sources. I think ppl focus to much on the height. If Harry needs to be made tall, a lot of medium height actors could play him and make him appear tall.

Click on thumbnails for larger versions.

Joe in black leather for Harry's style:

Joe 2:

Joe 3:

cheers!
"We both got into the blue beetle. He got into the red door, I got into the white one."

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 08, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
he would be a good harry, and tim roth would be a good kincaid too. ( and if this ever got made, producers would be happier, because who wants to spend zillions of dolloars on a side character?)
i might have siad this before, but you know the guy that was peter parkers boss in spiderman? he would be a great mac.he used to be in show where he was bald, and i was watching it the other day and was like "wow, he reminds me of mac"

Offline theSandman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 09, 2010, 01:49:01 AM »
he would be a good harry, and tim roth would be a good kincaid too. ( and if this ever got made, producers would be happier, because who wants to spend zillions of dolloars on a side character?)
i might have siad this before, but you know the guy that was peter parkers boss in spiderman? he would be a great mac.he used to be in show where he was bald, and i was watching it the other day and was like "wow, he reminds me of mac"

The actor you are thinkiing of is JK Simmons. He is a fantastic actor, my favorite role of his is in the recent remake of The Ladykillers. He would be a pretty good choice, actually. I picture a lot of the Dresden characters as actors that don't fit the physical description, but live up to the character's essence. So I admit, I imagine Mac as older than Dresden describes him. I also imagine Karrin as a brunette Katee Sackhoff (who is actually dyed blonde all the time), go figure. But Simmons probably matched Butcher's bill better. 

I dunno about Tim Roth as Kincaid. And I love Tim Roth. I actually think Roth might be good for Nicodemus. My choice for Kincaid is still Alexander Skarsgard. Google him if you don't know him, amazing up and coming actor who would be thrilling to watch as the . . . intense and professional killer.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 09, 2010, 02:05:12 AM »
Alex would be a pretty good kincaid, and tim a good nico, but i have that spot reserved for gary oldman.
i can picture alex as morgan, espescially after angels and demons

add on: OMG they remade the lady killers! im not sure if i want to kill people or see it!

Offline theSandman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 09, 2010, 02:11:37 AM »
Alex would be a pretty good kincaid, and tim a good nico, but i have that spot reserved for gary oldman.
i can picture alex as morgan, espescially after angels and demons

add on: OMG they remade the lady killers! im not sure if i want to kill people or see it!

I would say see it. It doesn't feel as cohesive as the original but Simmons knocks it out of the park. Hanks is pretty good, too.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 09, 2010, 02:13:12 AM »
Sounds good, off to the renting place! oh wait they closed all those shops down except for blockbuster that doesnt have anything, *pouts a little

Offline theSandman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 10, 2010, 12:37:40 AM »
So I watched The International last night, and I must say, Clive Owen is probably my new front-runner for the part of Harry. He's a little older for the role, but I think he could nail the attitude and looks. He's also pretty tall (appearing) with most actors in his scenes looking up to him.

By the way, I have always been a fan of his, but didn't really think of this option until after posting here and then seeing him in something.

Yeah, he's my new horse in this race.