Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1103589 times)

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #360 on: April 25, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »
i still say

= harry.

c'mon its like the perfect storm of geek and grumpy.

Offline panic686

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 25, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
Not an attack on anyone's choices but I don't get how anyone could vote for someone under 6'4" for Harry. I'm decently tall myself and there is a world of difference in being tall vs. average height and it is such a big part of the HArry character that I do not get how anyone could want someone not close to the height.

With 6'4", you could still have inserts to get the character to about 6'5" to 6'6" especially with boots which fits his description better. The height is an important part to me because being tall affects your personality in ways.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 25, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »
they can do it be the way they shoot it, if the camera guy's cant make people look tall, a lot of people in holywood wouldnt have a career, the height is important, they would still have to be about six 2 to pull it off, but its doable with a short person.It's a shame robert downey jr. is so short, he would make a great dresden, sure he might be pretty, but a lot of makeup and not working out and he would be fine.
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #363 on: April 26, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »
they can do it be the way they shoot it, if the camera guy's cant make people look tall, a lot of people in holywood wouldnt have a career, the height is important, they would still have to be about six 2 to pull it off, but its doable with a short person.It's a shame robert downey jr. is so short, he would make a great dresden, sure he might be pretty, but a lot of makeup and not working out and he would be fine.

Harry runs, and he mentioned in Changes that he used to go to the gym. Not to mention his and Murphy's teasing at the very end of the book about the fact that he does work out. Harry may not have Thomas's perfect supernatural physique, but he IS built.

The camera angling thing is a good point, though, it's how they made John Rhys-Davies, Sean Astin, Elijah Wood, Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd look so small in comparison to the other actors in The Lord of The Rings.

But I think I agree that it would have to be an actor who is already at least 6'3" or higher. Whoever plays Karrin (I imagine her to be my height, which is 5 feet even) has to be able to crane her neck up and risk neck injury looking at him, lol.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 26, 2010, 01:53:08 AM »
lol,thats how i imagine murph, the reason i was atracted to robert being harry is because of the singing detective, and kiss kiss bang bang
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Bwleon7

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 26, 2010, 02:33:51 AM »
While I think Hugh Jackman could do it I also have to consider the fact that I very much want thre to be multiple Dersden movies. With that in mind I do think someone 35 or under should take the role. if Dresden files follows the pattern of 3 movies that many seem to be doing then we are looking at about 6 - 8 years  of aging that the actor will have had by the third movie.
“So,” he said. “Mab.”
I grunted vaguely in reply.
“You hit that,” Sanya said.
I did not look at him. My face felt red.
“You”—he scrunched up his nose, digging in his memory—“tapped that ass. Presumably, it was phat.”

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #366 on: April 26, 2010, 02:42:23 AM »
While I think Hugh Jackman could do it I also have to consider the fact that I very much want thre to be multiple Dersden movies. With that in mind I do think someone 35 or under should take the role. if Dresden files follows the pattern of 3 movies that many seem to be doing then we are looking at about 6 - 8 years  of aging that the actor will have had by the third movie.

Quick! Everyone start looking for the next big star! And by big, I mean obscenely tall!

.... I should probably mention young, too, shouldn't I?
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline panic686

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 26, 2010, 03:26:17 AM »
Quick! Everyone start looking for the next big star! And by big, I mean obscenely tall!

.... I should probably mention young, too, shouldn't I?

Which would make Jared a good choice then, eh...?  ;D

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #368 on: April 26, 2010, 03:43:40 AM »

Which would make Jared a good choice then, eh...?  ;D

Absolutely! And since he and Jensen Ackles actually look alike and play brothers, and Jensen's shorter and older (and prettier, IMO. I love Jared, but I'm a total Jensen girl.), then Jensen can be Thomas. He just needs to grow his hair out longer and dye it pitch black.

That shouldn't actually be a problem for him. Check out this picture:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:54:16 AM by tiny[but]fierce »

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline panic686

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:14 AM »
Absolutely! And since he and Jensen Ackles actually look alike and play brothers, and Jensen's shorter and older (and prettier, IMO. I love Jared, but I'm a total Jensen girl.), then Jensen can be Thomas. He just needs to grow his hair out longer and dye it pitch black.

That shouldn't actually be a problem for him. Check out this picture:

I like that idea. Jensen is about 6-6'1" it claims on imdb (though he looks more like 5'10" next to Jared. They are best friends in real life so that brotherly comradeship should be natural and we know Jensen is good at snark already (Dean is my fave character on Supernatural too being an older brother myself). I like how you think, Tiny!

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #370 on: April 26, 2010, 04:12:33 AM »

I like that idea. Jensen is about 6-6'1" it claims on imdb (though he looks more like 5'10" next to Jared. They are best friends in real life so that brotherly comradeship should be natural and we know Jensen is good at snark already (Dean is my fave character on Supernatural too being an older brother myself). I like how you think, Tiny!

*bows* Thank you, than you :)

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline draganmathair

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 26, 2010, 07:09:21 PM »
I dunno... He's young for it, though maybe not for "Storm Front" Harry.  But every time I look at him, I see Dean from Gilmore Girls.  Like, he'll be in the movie version, walking down the streets of Chicago in his trench, and I'll be thinking, "Shouldn't you be stocking the corn starch at Doose's?"

Yep. 

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 04, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »
To continue with  my casting... my hubby came up with a few too.

Lea - Diana Lane
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000178/
**She has to be a little older, but still beautiful.  Diana Lane...meow!

Queen Mab - Monica Bellucci
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000899/
**She also has to be a little be older, but UNBELIEVEABLE STRIKING! (I'm a woman and Monica could get me to do whatever she wants! Wow!)

Waldo Butters - Evan Handler
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0359577/
** He's pretty much who I see as Butters.  The right age and height too.

Michael Carpenter - Aaron Eckhart
http://upload.moldova.org/movie/actors/a/aaron_eckhart/thumbnails/tn2_aaron_eckhart_2.jpg
**My hubby thinks if he couldn't get Nathan Fillon for Michael, he would cast Aaron Eckhart.  I could see it too.

Charity Carpenter - Mary McCormack
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005203/
**My hubby likes her for Charity.  I can see that too.  She tough and tall, well 5'8ish.  I think Amanda Tapping is taller.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:53:30 PM by Sihnon »
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #373 on: May 04, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »

Charity Carpenter - Mary McCormack
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005203/
**My hubby likes her for Charity.  I can see that too.  She tough and tall, well 5'8ish.  I think Amanda Tapping is taller.

Well, Mary's got Harry's description of Charity being Built Like a Brick House down pat :)

In Butcher We Trust.

BtHMv2

« Reply #374 on: May 05, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »
 I don't know if this has already been said, but I've always liked Elisabeth Rohm for Murphy. She was Det. Kate Lockley in Angel.