Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1119126 times)

Offline DeaSis

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5445 on: December 05, 2012, 01:44:37 AM »
For Sanya I'd suggest LL Cool J.  (If he can pull off the accent that is)  I love Aldis Hodge as an actor (and I'm confident he can pull off the accent) I don't think he's got the bulk and definition for it.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: December 05, 2012, 03:11:34 AM »
For Sanya I'd suggest LL Cool J.  (If he can pull off the accent that is)  I love Aldis Hodge as an actor (and I'm confident he can pull off the accent) I don't think he's got the bulk and definition for it.

Chiwetel Ejiofor played The Operative in Serenity, I'm not sure if he could do the accent, but I'm sure he has the definition.  Truthfully, I was trying to stay away from the people with funky names, but I guess LL Cool J. is pretty good in NCIS LA.

Wasn't Sanya described as having really dark skin?  I couldn't find any actors that matched my preconceptions of his complexion, though...

How about CCH Pounder as Martha Liberty?  It's rather a bit part, seeing as she's only been in one book.  She would have to bleach her hair.
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Harry Anderson Talks Geek

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: December 05, 2012, 01:25:40 PM »
Ever since SmF I have pictured Michael Clarke Duncan as Sanya.  Not really an option any more, tragically.  He was a great actor, and one of the few I can think of that had the right level of physical might and an extreme jovial nature.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: December 05, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
Chiwetel Ejiofor played The Operative in Serenity, I'm not sure if he could do the accent, but I'm sure he has the definition.  Truthfully, I was trying to stay away from the people with funky names, but I guess LL Cool J. is pretty good in NCIS LA.

Wasn't Sanya described as having really dark skin?  I couldn't find any actors that matched my preconceptions of his complexion, though...

How about CCH Pounder as Martha Liberty?  It's rather a bit part, seeing as she's only been in one book.  She would have to bleach her hair.
If I am not mistaken, I think he played Morgan in the Series... I would go with either Michael Jai White or Don Cheetle ( I know he is a little thin, But for pulling off a Russian accent )
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: December 05, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: December 06, 2012, 04:01:46 AM »
Ever since SmF I have pictured Michael Clarke Duncan as Sanya.  Not really an option any more, tragically.  He was a great actor, and one of the few I can think of that had the right level of physical might and an extreme jovial nature.

Too big, anyway... I always saw Sanya as tall and thin.
Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Rule #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.  Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the back of the head.

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: December 06, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
Zachary Quinto – NO.  Just no.  Looks too short and too delicate.  He's like Tom Cruise with the intensity and physical ability removed.
Lee Pace – No, not fiery enough.  Too milquetoast.
Ryan Reynolds – No, too clean cut.  Harry’s had a lot of rough miles.  Ryan Reynolds doesn’t look it.  Ryan is just too damned pretty.
Hugh Jackman – Maybe.  Probably, too muscular.  Has the right face for it, though.
Clive Owen – Yes, he could work in this role.
Paul Bettany – No.  Blonde?  No way.  Might as well ask for Alexander Skarsgård from True Blood.
Timothy Olyphant – Maybe.
Nathan Fillion – No, too stocky.  He’s put on too much weight. He's also too old to play Harry.
Joe Flanigan – Maybe, but Olyphant would be better.
Chris Evans - No, too muscular.
Gerard Butler - No, too stocky.  He’s put on too much weight.
Neil Flynn - The Janitor from Scrubs?  Mike Heck from The Middle?  No, too old and I can't see him as Harry.
Jared Padalecki – No, too big and muscular.  I’d take Jensen Ackles over Jared for this role.
Paul Blackthorne – Yes.  Sure he's 2 years older than Fillion, but Paul looks OK in the role.

Nathan Fillion is winning?!?  You've GOT to be kidding.  Harry is younger and way thinner and more wirey than Fillion.  Fillion would have been an ~OK~ choice 10 years ago, but NOT now.  Look at him on "Castle" - can you really see him as Harry, NOW?  Castle Fillion looks like Firefly Fillion with your TV put on stretch.  Noooooo.
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: December 06, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
I get what you're saying KoshN, but when I made my vote, which was for Fillion, I was thinking less about the look of the character and more about the feel. And of the people on that list, only Fillion could make Harry come alive on the screen. Paul would be a very close second, but Nathan would be able to inhabit the character.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: December 06, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »
I think Michael Cane would make a great Nicodemus.  He is the perfect counterpoint to the ravenous monsters and psychotics that make up the rest of the Denarians, and being cast as Nick would give him opportunities to give Harry one of his patented morality lectures, only this time it ends with "... and that, my dear boy, is why they all must die."

(click to show/hide)

Edited for spoilerieness
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:59:22 PM by Electric MacButters »
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: December 06, 2012, 06:08:52 PM »
Too big, anyway... I always saw Sanya as tall and thin.
Honestly I did too at first, but ever since SmF, and especially Changes, he has been a much bigger and more physically intimidating guy.  He started as "tall young black man wearing a too small suit"  but by Changes "He was built like a pro­fes­sion­al line­man" and his landlady's arms "couldn't have gotten around half of him" when she tried to hug him. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »
Zachary Quinto – NO.  Just no.  Looks too short and too delicate.  He's like Tom Cruise with the intensity and physical ability removed.
Tom Cruise is 5'6", Zachary Quinto is 6'1".
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
Something Ive been trying to pin down.  Who out there has the feline grace and asymmetric yet roguishly charming features to pull of the Erlking?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: December 07, 2012, 12:07:22 AM »
Something Ive been trying to pin down.  Who out there has the feline grace and asymmetric yet roguishly charming features to pull of the Erlking?

Isn't Gerard Butler supposed to play all roguishly handsome tough guys these days, or did that move on to someone else?
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline MagusLucius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: December 07, 2012, 01:02:39 AM »
Isn't Gerard Butler supposed to play all roguishly handsome tough guys these days, or did that move on to someone else?

I can't imagine the Erlking with a Scottish brogue, and I can't think of any movie Gerard Butler has been in, where he's had any other accent.  I can actually hear James Earl Jones doing the Erlking.

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: December 07, 2012, 04:27:13 AM »
Tom Cruise is 5'6", Zachary Quinto is 6'1".

Not seeing them side-by-side, they look about the same, body shape and upper-to-lower torso proportions.  Quinto does not look 6'1".  Maybe it's the size of his head that throws off my perception of his height. [shrug] Dunno.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:31:06 AM by KoshN »
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.