Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1118774 times)

Offline bellmaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5820 on: February 22, 2013, 03:07:15 AM »
There have been times I've considered Olyphant for Dresden himself.  Not seeing Marcone really.
Same here his scowl and weight does not seem to say Crime Boss to me.  For Sayan- Michael Kenneth William (Omar)

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: February 22, 2013, 07:03:54 AM »
How about Walton as Lloyd Slate, the Winter Knight before Harry?

Yes.... That kind of Bad guy is right up his alley. and it seems to be the kind of part he favors...GOOD CALL!
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline Homer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: February 22, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »
He always struck me as a little too slimy for Marcone.  Marcone is described as almost Kindly seeming on first meeting.  But he would make a great Nicodemus, I think.  He has that underspoken creepiness, and the lanky build I always pictured.

I started watching my mom's Boomtown DVDs the other day and couldn't help thinking with the right hair and color contacts Neal McDonough would have made a good Marcone.
Slinky + Escalator = Endless Fun

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: February 22, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »
I agree with that.

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: February 23, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
I started watching my mom's Boomtown DVDs the other day and couldn't help thinking with the right hair and color contacts Neal McDonough would have made a good Marcone.

Still too Celtic, however, with his almost albino skin coloration, light hair color and icy blue eyes, he'd be a natural for the Winter Faerie Court or a White Vampire Court.  Did you see him in Justified?  I think he'd be better as Lord Raith, although I don't see Lara and Harry getting the better of him.  He'd best play a persistent, formidble character in the Winter Faerie Court or a White Vampire Court.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:58:38 PM by KoshN »
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: February 23, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
He always struck me as a little too slimy for Marcone.  Marcone is described as almost Kindly seeming on first meeting.  But he would make a great Nicodemus, I think.  He has that underspoken creepiness, and the lanky build I always pictured.

For Marcone, I'd pick Anthony LaPaglia (54) or Jonathan LaPaglia (43).  Can't remember Marcone's age, but Anthony is perhaps a little too old to play Marcone.

Remember, Timothy Olyphant is of Scottish descent.  Not exactly Marcone material.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:18:58 PM by KoshN »
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: February 25, 2013, 02:34:46 PM »
For Marcone, I'd pick Anthony LaPaglia (54) or Jonathan LaPaglia (43).  Can't remember Marcone's age, but Anthony is perhaps a little too old to play Marcone.

Remember, Timothy Olyphant is of Scottish descent.  Not exactly Marcone material.
If memory serves he was in his mid 40's at the beginning of the series.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kael Tucker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: February 25, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »
OK, going full Blown animation, this is is my casting 1st and 2nd choices... Trying to set realistic standards and goals save for one.  Also In an Animated feature, One person can be multi tasked to play multiple parts, hense the multiple uses of certain names... I know some main characters were left out… but these are the ones I feel most strongly about.

Harry                       James Marsters, Vincent Ventresca
Bob                          James Marsters, Terrance Mann
Murphy                    Sarah Michelle Gellar
Morgan                     Conrad Coats (Played him in the series, I still think the voice is right), James Marsters
Carmichael               Paul Ben-Victor
Stallings                   Bruce Cambell
Susan                      Jordana Brewster
Mac                         James Marsters
Sanya                      Aries Spears ( Watch his comedy show, the things he can do with accents is amazing)
Shiro                       Pat Morita ( "The Karate kid" fame for those of us who do not remember the 80's)
Rowlins                    The Late Michael Duncan Clark, Ving Rhames
Michael                    Corbin Bernsen
Charity                     Kirsten Nelson   (Psych)
Father Fortill             Micheal Gross, John Glover ( Read Ghost Story for audio, His Forthill was done with a slight Irish accent, one of the few changes he did from the series I approve of)
Thomas                    Matt Bomer
Justin DuMorne         John Glover
Marcone                   Richard Burgi
" I'm just a big hairy american winning machine"

Offline Homer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: February 25, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
Still too Celtic, however, with his almost albino skin coloration, light hair color and icy blue eyes, he'd be a natural for the Winter Faerie Court or a White Vampire Court.  Did you see him in Justified?  I think he'd be better as Lord Raith, although I don't see Lara and Harry getting the better of him.  He'd best play a persistent, formidble character in the Winter Faerie Court or a White Vampire Court.

I think I like that better.
Slinky + Escalator = Endless Fun

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: February 27, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »
So, I'm watching Constantine on TV.  What do you think about Keanu Reeves for Harry?

He's tall, angular face, kind of dark.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Denarian

• Participant
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: February 27, 2013, 05:13:45 AM »
So, I'm watching Constantine on TV.  What do you think about Keanu Reeves for Harry?

He's tall, angular face, kind of dark.
He's got the appearance down, but he doesn't have the charisma or the flexibility to portray Harry.
Harry Dresden and the Sorcerer's Curse
Harry Dresden and the Chamber of Circles
Harry Dresden and the Prisoner of Vampires
Harry Dresden and the Stone Table
Harry Dresden and the Order of the Blackened Denarius
Harry Dresden and the Half-Blood Vampire
Harry Dresden and the Deadly Darkhallo

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
He's got the appearance down, but he doesn't have the charisma or the flexibility to portray Harry.
In terms of pure look, He could do it, but no, I dont think Ive ever seen him pull off the emotional range he would need for Harry.  And that's not for a lack of opportunity. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: February 27, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
I agree with the two people with the same avatar  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Cadwallon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: March 01, 2013, 06:10:08 AM »
I've always pictured Eric Roberts as Marcone...Nicolas Cage's Balthazar in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" was very Dresden - also most of Cage's characters are full of wise cracks in tense situations. I'd probably go with him.

Of the lot in the suggested list - I think Paul Bettany could really pull it off, make-up would need to do something about his fair colouring though.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: March 02, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »
I've always pictured Eric Roberts as Marcone...Nicolas Cage's Balthazar in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" was very Dresden - also most of Cage's characters are full of wise cracks in tense situations. I'd probably go with him.

That's because The Sorcerer's Apprentice was shamelessly copied from Dresden. Nic Cage is one of the two people in Hollywood we have confirmation of who have read the books. The other (I believe) is Valerie Cruz, who played Murphy in the TV show (and is a favourite 'round here for Susan).

Of the lot in the suggested list - I think Paul Bettany could really pull it off, make-up would need to do something about his fair colouring though.

Ooh, yes. Make-up shouldn't be a problem, if naturally-ginger Benedict Cumberbatch can get known for tall, dark and handsome, or if naturally-brunette Sarah Michelle Gellar can get known for, well, Buffy... The accent could be a problem, but we've had a brit playing Dresden before.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.