Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1119535 times)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #465 on: May 23, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
I forgot about Vincent Cassel, I like that actor. He might be too young looking to pull off Lord Raith though, granted he is a Vampire, but he is also the father of a bunch of offspring, so I picture him looking somewhat older.

For anyone wondering who it is MoSeS_ and miketh are talking about, this is Vincent Cassel:

Lord Raith has several centuries on Thomas, Lara and Harry. I would assume, however, that he looks like he's roundabout in his 50s or early 60s which would be just about the right look for a man who's the father of a 35 year old guy. Vincent was born in 1966, so he's 44. Of course, there's also make up and stuff. There's talented people in Hollywood.

Description of Lord Raith from page 142 of Blood Rites, paperback edition:

The air grew suddenly colder, as if the Almighty had flicked on the air-conditioning. A man slid out of the car. He was about six feet tall, dark of hair and pale of flesh. He was dressed in a white linen suit with a silver-grey silk shirt and Italian leather shoes. There was a scarlet gem of some kind fixed to his left earlobe, though his fine, straight hair hid it until a breeze briefly tossed the dark strands to one side. He had long, spatulate fingers, broad shoulders, the eyes of a drowsy jaguar, and he was better-looking than Thomas.

Which is fricking saying something, because Thomas is drop-dead gorgeous!
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 24, 2010, 12:06:09 AM »
I have updated my cast and made some rearrangments. My list started off coherent with characters listed in order of significance, but it has sort of become random.

Also I admit the list has become a bit ridiculous because I tried to squeeze in as many major actors and actresses as I could even for small roles that wouldn't really require a big star, but I figure since it's a fake cast anyways, why not get as many as I can in there.

I even casted Cowl and we don't even know who that really is yet, it could be a character that's already been revealed. But like I said, I am really stretching this to get a bunch of big names in.

Here is the updated cast.

Male Characters http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8NfYpeXR_TANWNmYWZiNWItZTkwNS00NmY0LTliMjctNWViNmI0YWM5NDIw&hl=en
Female Characters http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8NfYpeXR_TANzdkMzVmYzQtNmU1OS00YmNlLWJjZDItMDYyMzg3NTlhMWQ2&hl=en
dude, that would be a good cast, except for harry, i mean i love clive owen but, i dont know man, i am not incredably fond of him, it would depend
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 24, 2010, 06:52:45 AM »
Nathan Fillion is my Dresden, I've never been able to feel Blackthorne as Dresden.

Terrence Mann (i think that was his name) will forever be Bob's voice in my head tho.

Erica from "V" would be a good Movie.

And Robin Hood recently has ingrained Russel Crow as Michael to me.

my vote for Thomas is Neill Caffrey from White Collar.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 24, 2010, 02:34:32 PM »
I started a new thread about Movie Casting this the other day (meged here)

And someone suggested a poll, so I re-read this thread and I am staring a poll naturally beggining with Harry.

scroll to the top of the page to vote
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:48:35 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 24, 2010, 02:36:01 PM »
So I just re-read the Perfect Casting thread and came across a lot of actors that I hadn't thought of before. So now I have enough choices to actually start a poll for Harry.

Sadly, there were a lot of bad choices too, such as people being picked for looks only, and also a ton of television actors. I am not saying some TV actors couldn't pull it off, but TV acting is completely different from movie acting so I tried to avoid most TV actors, granted I did include a few who could probably make the transition well.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:39:07 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #470 on: May 24, 2010, 03:00:33 PM »

Harry Dresden: Maybe, but he seems a bit old unless we start a ways down the line. I was under the impression Harry was hitting maybe 30 in

Jim has stated before that Harry's age during Welcome to The Jungle/Storm Front is somewhere around his mid-twenties. This is based on the fact that he left McCoy's farm for Chicago at the age of 18 or 19, then spent about four years doing odd jobs, three years of which were working under Nick Christian at Ragged Angel Investigations in order to receive his PI license.

Priscellie has done an extensive time line regarding the Dresdenverse, and as she's one of Jim's betas, she would know the situation. Well, what Jim tells her of it, anyway :) Series Timeline
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 24, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
Timeline or not, in reality casting this now would be moot (but it's fun).

There are already 12 books out, so if you made 1 movie for each book you would be facing a Harry Potter situation. Look how much Daniel Radcliffe has aged from start to finish, the movies barely keep up. Granted there is make-up and stuff.

If they actually made a movie for each book we would be looking at something like 24+ years of movies if they rushed them (spent less than a year on each one). I think Jim has 24 books planned for the series.

If they started the movies now, they can get the first half of the movies finished by the time the last book is released.

Offline Der Sturmbrecher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 24, 2010, 03:13:11 PM »
A poll is a good idea! Except I can't think of 5 actors to consider for Harry. I will think about it and start a poll. I will review some of the suggestions on the other threads too, though I have already shot down tons of them like Eric Bana, Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, etc.

Throw me some suggestions for Harry Dresden, then we can trickle it down to other characters. Casting Harry is going to effect how Thomas Raith is cast also, because Thomas is suppose to resemble Harry, except a bit shorter and a better physique of course. 

Yes, the whole point is that the content is generated by the board, like an election. Candidates get nominated if they have sufficient following, and then they enter the vote-offs. If you've been to GameFAQS, they have an annual character battle which is a good system to use.

Shot down Hugh Jackman!? *sigh* He's my personal fav for the role.

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 24, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »
Where is my None of the Above choice

Though Having seen Gerard Butler in a ton of stuff lately, I think he could pull it off.  if he was taller.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 24, 2010, 04:35:35 PM »
oded would make a great gate keeper, add some scars and your good, he is decently aged anyways, you have to remeber he did the mummy awhile ago, and he looks a little different now, add some make up an volia! plus he does dark mysterious and cool well.
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 24, 2010, 04:46:06 PM »
Did you see Oded in Splinter Cell?

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 24, 2010, 05:06:42 PM »