Author Topic: Harry's character sheet is up!  (Read 8640 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's character sheet is up!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 06:44:32 PM »
Is there a recommended (or maybe I should say default) starting level?

Looking at the character sheet it looks like it effects your starting skill points and the skill cap. Does it also determine beginning refresh rates or is that 10 across the board?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 06:46:29 PM »
Is there a recommended (or maybe I should say default) starting level?

Looking at the character sheet it looks like it effects your starting skill points and the skill cap. Does it also determine beginning refresh rates or is that 10 across the board?

It affects all three, and we have four (I think it's four) distinct packages of settings for those three dials made explicit in the game, though an individual GM would be free to change the number on any one of the three if she wanted. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Sh33p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 12:26:42 AM »
Ye gods this all looks great :D  The balance, the chance to have wizards who vary in power and capability, all the other classes/types.  I can't wait!  The only issue is finding enough people in my frackin town to play ><
That's what press gangs and machetes are for, H. :)

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 02:04:41 AM »
Alright let's get a look at this beast...
*Clicks link to Haracter sheet.*

...Buhhhhh. ???

This is seriously unlike any system I've ever seen. The sheet might well be written in Arabic for all the information I'm able to gather from it. It does seem from this sheet that the game focuses on role playing over lots of number crunching. Would that be an accurate statement? If it is it's a bummer, because my roommates tend to only be able to role play very standoffish anarchists.
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 02:12:54 AM »
uhmmm....link?
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 02:26:15 AM »
If it is it's a bummer, because my roommates tend to only be able to role play very standoffish anarchists.

There's a word for standoffish anarchists in the Dresdenverse:

Food.

;)

I would say our system actually sits at the midpoint between the two extremes you're talking about, Chuck.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 09:56:59 PM »
I'm surprised Harry only has Fair investigations.

Is Conviction the equivalent of SotC's Resolve, or is Resolve also in DFRPG?

Also, typical SotC heroes start out with 5 boxes of stress. Harry has 4/4/3. Is there a formula reached for that, or is it just something innate to the DFRPG?

Conviction governs the amount of power you can throw around. Harry has a lot of this.

Discipline governs the amount of control you have over that power. Harry... is a little sloppy in this department. That's why he favors Thaumaturgy if he can do it: because it's slower and more deliberate, his lack of control doesn't bite him on the butt so much.
If I understand correctly, this is also why Harry is using focus items. It's granting +1 to Offensive Con(trol).

And why he prefers Thamutergy; +1 Control (Divination)?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »

Mostly he cheats: he whips up a Divination spell. He does have some strong mundane investigative skills, though, which is why he has a rating two steps above Joe Shmoe.

Is Conviction the equivalent of SotC's Resolve, or is Resolve also in DFRPG?

There's not a straight one to one correspondence there, though some of the trappings of Resolve are also found with Conviction.  Resolve does not exist as Resolve in the DFRPG.

Also, typical SotC heroes start out with 5 boxes of stress. Harry has 4/4/3. Is there a formula reached for that, or is it just something innate to the DFRPG?

DFRPG heroes start out with 2.

If I understand correctly, this is also why Harry is using focus items. It's granting +1 to Offensive Con(trol).

And why he prefers Thamutergy; +1 Control (Divination)?

Those make clear how he's using his foci to help make up for a few shortcomings in the methods that he tends to prefer.
Fred Hicks

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:27:50 PM »
Say. This whole issue of Power/Control/Complexity. Might that be related to Shifts? (Since with Shifts you can either make it quicker, higher quality, or subtle).

There's not a straight one to one correspondence there, though some of the trappings of Resolve are also found with Conviction.  Resolve does not exist as Resolve in the DFRPG.
Hm. Then what does one use to defend in some mental/social conflicts? Resolve was useful against Charming, Deceiving and Scaring.

DFRPG heroes start out with 2.
Yikes! Then, does Harry having a high Conviction and Endurance give him more, or might that be Wizard's Constitution?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »
Conviction contributes to Mental Stress capacity, Presence to Social, Endurance to Physical.

The other questions you're asking are ... um, needing more detail than I have time to provide. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
You've answered a lot so far. Thanks, Fred. :)

Grrr, can't wait!

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 12:37:28 AM »
Remember that this character sheet is based on Harry immediately after Stormfront and in the early books his investigation skills are prety stucky, he misses all kinds of clues and mostly bulls his way through things head on. For his investigation of the streetwovles in Fool Moon he just goes to their hideout and says "hello" and it takes him a really really long time in Stormfront to figure out who is behind things. He's not exactly Sherlock Holmes, although he does get a bit better in later books, if anthing I think that +2 is a bit on the high side for early Dresden :)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 01:03:07 AM »
Remember that this character sheet is based on Harry immediately after Stormfront and in the early books his investigation skills are prety stucky, he misses all kinds of clues and mostly bulls his way through things head on. For his investigation of the streetwovles in Fool Moon he just goes to their hideout and says "hello" and it takes him a really really long time in Stormfront to figure out who is behind things. He's not exactly Sherlock Holmes, although he does get a bit better in later books, if anthing I think that +2 is a bit on the high side for early Dresden :)

We consider Good (+3) to be the level that solidly competent professionals operate at, or thereabouts. Fair (+2)'s can do those jobs too, but sometimes they run into... challenges. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 01:40:17 AM »
So Murphy would be at +3?
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.