Author Topic: Do they exist?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Nawlins34

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Do they exist?
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm an aspiring writer with some good story arcs at the moment that I'm working. However I'm running into a brick wall with a particular issue:

I've learned through research and just being a reader that it helps to read other authors to give you an idea of what you want. I'm really looking for a novel where the main character dies at the end and everyone is okay with that.  Could someone suggest some good books or series even where the main character dies and readers are fine with that?

That's my biggest fear. I'm sure if the storyline supports the direction the character has to go, readers will understand, but I don't want to have a reader throwing the book at the end of reading it. ( Unless it sparks their curiousity to pick up the next book in the series.)

I've yet to find an example and If it exists, I would like to see how that author executed that task; killing the main character at the end of a novel for the sake of the story without killing the series itself. Please let me know if anyone has come across such a book or series. The genre doesn't matter to me, so long as it exists.
"The man who says he can, and the man who says he can't are both right. Which one are you son, which one are you?" -Anonymous football coach

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Do they exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »
How are you defining "main character" in this context ?  The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant seem to me to be the most notable within-genre example; that said, while they sell well and have lots of fans, lots of people also vocally hate those books. (And whether that counts as "dies in the end" is also sort of ambiguous; the character in question is stabbed in the heart at the opening of the first book of three, carried into a fantasy world at the moment of stabbing and magically healed, but has strong reason to believe, from his experiences in the First Chronicles, that whatever physical state he was in on transfer to the fantasy world will be exactly recreated when he comes back, so there's narrative tension around the expectation that he will end up dead in circumstances replicating the opening and how he deals with that; it's not a surprise that he dies in the end.)

Guy Gavriel Kay does some very effective and moving principal characters dying at or near the end of several of his books, though none of them really have a single main character per se, and I've not known anyone think those were inappropriate or not good on those grounds.

You might also want to look up some of Iain Banks, particularly Use of Weapons; Banks is on record as saying "A happy ending is one where not everybody dies", and that approach does not seem to have harmed his career.

It's not something I have a problem with, myself, but it has become clear to me that i do being attached to a story in characters in it in ways different from most people I know.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:50:13 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Nawlins34

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
Ahh, good point. Allow me to clarify;

in this context, I'm speaking about the character from which the POV of this world, story will be told by.  So, it's not exactly the norm, is that your take on it?
"The man who says he can, and the man who says he can't are both right. Which one are you son, which one are you?" -Anonymous football coach

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 05:54:04 PM »
in this context, I'm speaking about the character from which the POV of this world, story will be told by.

Right.  The Thomas Covenant books I allude to above have two viewpoint characters, so not precisely the same thing.

So, it's not exactly the norm, is that your take on it?

It's not common, but I think it can be done.  Michael Scott Rohan's Winter of the World trilogy does it, with stepping outside that POV at the very end; Clive Barker does it with two of three main characters in Imajica, I'll probably come back to this post later when i'm at home and can look at my shelves for examples.

Like anything else, there will be people who hate it no matter how you do it, and there's only so much that's worth doing for that audience's sake; and anyone else, you can make it work for if you are good enough.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Nawlins34

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »
Like anything else, there will be people who hate it no matter how you do it, and there's only so much that's worth doing for that audience's sake; and anyone else, you can make it work for if you are good enough.

Fair enough!  I'll take a look at what you mentioned above in the meantime. It's a start at least and it wouldn't hurt to look at how it was done.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
Possibly not quite answering the question, but George RR Martin has a tendency to off viewpoint characters.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Nawlins34

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 06:34:37 PM »
Duly noted, adding him to my list as well.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 06:42:24 PM »
Possibly not quite answering the question, but George RR Martin has a tendency to off viewpoint characters.

True; I'd not mentioned that because of the way that series has not ended yet, I didn't think it was quite what the OP was looking for.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »
Just as a note, no matter what you do or how well you handle it, there will still be people who throw the book against the wall and vow never to read another thing you write if you kill off the MC. ;)  Although I'm ok with a character dying during the course of the book, if it's the MC and especially if it's in first person, I dislike such endings.

You might have to file this under "can't please everyone", though, and write the story you want to write.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
Almost every rule in writing should end with the phrase ‘…unless you are a genius with a large fan base.’ I may find examples of writers who broke the rule I want to break, but that rarely leads me to successfully breaking it myself. I find they aren’t really rules at all, but instead straightjackets that keep us from hurting ourselves.

Writing a satisfying story in which the view point or main character dies in the end is the sort of straightjacket some much published, genius writers have managed to escape. This isn’t something I would recommend to a beginner writer.

Diary of Anne Frank’? It is definitely her first book, and the view point character dies in the end. There is valid argument as to whether it is a novel or not, but I think that it would be a valuable read in figuring out how to appeal to the audience. 

Spy Who Came In From The Cold’ is a ‘first’* book by an author who has gone on to become very famous. The book won a lot of awards. It’s a very good book to emulate.  John le Carré’s prose got a lot more murky in his later books and, alas, even more of a genius. I was already addicted by then.

How about ‘Flowers for Algernon’? Opps, the Wiki site says that he only regressed back to an IQ of 68. I had been sure he, like the rat, had died from the experimental treatment.

And then there’s Kafka’s ‘Metamorphosis’. The viewpoint character definitely dies and the audience is definitely relieved by it.

And the book with the ending only the soft hearted call ambiguous - Podkayne of Mars.

You also might look at examples where the main character dies in the middle – such as in Dickens’s ‘The Olde Curiosity Shop’. That one is worth reading along with the history regarding the distribution. It sort of puts the Harry Potter craze in historical perspective.

Oh, and the 'Illiad'. Most of the main characters die in it. Most of the rest die in the sequal.

I suppose I can toss in ‘Lovely Bones’. A viewpoint character is dead all the way through it, and even has her death scene. Again – genius.

* All the published writers I know have 6 to 12 manuscripts in a bottom drawer somewhere. Their ‘first’ novel is almost always merely the first that was publishable. It could be that by writing this story you are filling up the required space in that bottom drawer so that another, future, book is made possible. This is a GOOD thing.

In the end, stick to the golden straightjacket of writing - “Always write the book you need to write.”

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:10:52 AM by Kris_W »

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »
Many classic noir novels of the Forties and Fifties end with the POV character dying or about to die--The Postman Always Rings Twice comes to mind, and there are several others.  Double Indemnity, maybe?  While downbeat, this is usually seen as justice, due to the POV character's own choices over the course of the novel.

(FWIW, I recall reading somewhere years ago that The Maltese Falcon ends with Sam Spade being shot and killed by his mistress Iva Archer, though in fact the book ends with her simply arriving at the office; a confrontation is implied but not shown.)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline library lasciel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »
Spoilered for people who might not want to know ahead of time:
(click to show/hide)

An amusing (in a dark sort of way) death of LOTS of main POV characters is in The Last Battle in the Narnia series.  The precipitating incident is a train wreck where everyone who ends up in Narnia dies.

I have to say I personally hate when POV characters are killed off for what I perceive as no reason, or just to show that the author "has the guts to do it" (where the most biting example would be killing Chewie off in Salvatore's debut into the Star Wars universe.)  If it's for an actual plot-related reason that isn't contrived, then I am usually sad, but don't feel peeved at the author. 

I am a very emotional reader, however, and get snippy when I suspect an author of being heavy-handed with the emotional tugging - simply because I also suspect it's easier at times to lay the emotions on thick than to bother with careful plotting, and it upsets me personally.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 12:26:25 AM »
I have to say I personally hate when POV characters are killed off for what I perceive as no reason, or just to show that the author "has the guts to do it" (where the most biting example would be killing Chewie off in Salvatore's debut into the Star Wars universe.)  If it's for an actual plot-related reason that isn't contrived, then I am usually sad, but don't feel peeved at the author. 
From Wikipedia:
At the time of its first publication, Vector Prime was extremely controversial among Star Wars fans in that its plot called for the death of Chewbacca, making the Wookiee the first major character from the original trilogy to be permanently killed off in the Expanded Universe novels. The concept of killing such a character was the decision of the book editors, who sent a list of characters they would like to kill to George Lucas, with Luke Skywalker at the top of the list. The response was what characters they couldn't kill, and Chewbacca wasn't on the list, hence his selection. This is covered - in some detail - in the round table interview with the series editors published at the end of the final New Jedi Order novel, The Unifying Force. Opinion was sharply divided as to whether this death of a beloved character was a cheap ploy to boost sales and interest in the new series, or if it served the dramatic purpose of declaring that not even the core characters were necessarily "safe" anymore. However it was George Lucas who told R.A Salvatore to kill Chewbacca, not R.A. Salvatore himself.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Nawlins34

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 12:49:38 AM »
If it's for an actual plot-related reason that isn't contrived, then I am usually sad, but don't feel peeved at the author. 

And as narrow of a target that may sound, I'm trying to aim for that impact. For the storyline i'm looking at, the MC story will stretch out into a series of books. but as I look at the outline of her story, and the actual story i'm telling, she'd be going against her beliefs and the very thing she's fighting for if she lived. The storyline as well as her POV would lose credibilty at the end of the series if she didn't die.

But I digress, I'm pretty far away from that ending. I'm sure plenty of ideas will jump into my mind on how to end her story.

I'm grateful for all this feedback, alot of you are throwing stuff I haven't thought of so it's helping to get the creative juices flowing.

I don't see myself making it a habit, but for this particular storyline, it may have to happen, we shall see  ;)

Offline library lasciel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 12:59:14 AM »
I suppose instead of author, I should have written 'creator.'  I know it wasn't Salvatore's fault that Chewie was picked, but that whole back-room "lets pick someone to kill off" type discussion by editors and universe creators is exactly what I disliked about the idea.  And the way it was plotted seemed very unrealistic to me.  That part WAS Salvatore's fault.    

That particular case, where it seemed obvious that reasons from outside the realm of the story are causing the death - that's was what I was getting at.  It seems callous to the readers who are trusting you as an author/creator to stay "in character" and true to the world you developed.  It also seems unprofessional to sloppily apply the 'tricks' of an author.  I know, as a reader, that you are using tricks and you have to - you have places to go and things to accomplish with your story.  It simply should be done well, so I as the reader don't notice them.  

It just bugs me that it was so obvious, and so pointless.  There was no overarching reason for the character to die (in that particular situation) that couldn't have been served by a lesser fate.  I suppose that it was a valid way to re-energise the franchise, and that they've gone on and killed off other main characters as well (at least I think so - I haven't read a SW book post-dating Vector Prime, and never will.)  

And the above parentheses shows at least one reader's reaction to a poorly executed character.  I know there are lots of other people out there (some are even my friends!  ;)) who really enjoy the direction that the expansions have taken.  I simply didn't, so they've lost a reader.  But there is only one of me, so it's isn't the end of the world.  I'm sad, because I very much liked the SW universe before that book, but now I don't, so there's nothing new there for me to read now.  *shrug*  My loss, I suppose.

In the end you have to write the story you want to write, and understand that some people are going to really love it, and some people will hate it, and some people won't understand what you were trying to do.

Just aim for more of the first kind.  (and no, I have no idea how to do that.   ;D)

I do know that if you try to be honest with your story and not force it into some particular desired shape or other, you'll probably be better off.  Or, conversely, be technically skilled enough to start with the perfect desired shape, and then mold the story into that shape from the beginning.  To me it seems the second option is a whole lot harder to manage, but it may depend on the author.