Author Topic: names for other Outsiders  (Read 10037 times)

Offline johntfs

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: names for other Outsiders
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 04:24:30 AM »
How about some of the classical outsiders ...
The Great Tentacled One (Cthulhu)
The Crawling Chaos (Nyarlathotep)
The Great Old One (Hastur)
The Opener of the Way (Yog Sothoth)

A fitting one:
The Nameless Mist (Nyog Sothep)

My biggest problem is that those names are just too well known and come off as cheesy and cliche.  Sort of like using orcs as villains in a fantasy book or Nazis in a thriller.  What you want to do (and what I tried to do) is come up with names that are disturbing and scary without overtly bringing in Lovecraft or his mythos.  Read some early Clive Barker (especially Weaveworld) for more inspiration.

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 03:35:28 PM »
He who Smother, or, She Of The Razor Mist.

Call me Crazy, but I think Harry Might have made a Pact with an Outsider. I'm not sure how meany people have Read Turn Coat, and so i shall say no more on the subject.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline johntfs

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 05:21:56 PM »
He who Smother, or, She Of The Razor Mist.

Call me Crazy, but I think Harry Might have made a Pact with an Outsider. I'm not sure how meany people have Read Turn Coat, and so i shall say no more on the subject.

You're crazy.

Seriously, though, consider who Harry told about the pact and what their reaction was (ie, not immediately chopping Harry's head off for breaking the laws of Magic).  The spirit in question is extremely powerful and possibly malevolent, but not an Outsider.

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
Why are you Stating the Obvious ??? ?

I'm just saying, it's a possibility. THINK about it, GK went toe to toe with this thing. He didn't kill it, but he gave it a good wound, same go's for GK. I don't know, this thing just SCREAMS Outsider to me...

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 01:32:26 PM »
Why are you Stating the Obvious ??? ?

I'm just saying, it's a possibility. THINK about it, GK went toe to toe with this thing. He didn't kill it, but he gave it a good wound, same go's for GK. I don't know, this thing just SCREAMS Outsider to me...

(click to show/hide)
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 02:06:03 PM »
Well that's pretty Obvieous. He is the
(click to show/hide)
And also something for you to think about. This thing, whatever the heck he is,
(click to show/hide)
If he's not an Outsider, then what the heck eles could he be. Nothing About Him Implyes Demon, if anything, he remineds me more of the Erl King.

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I don't know if you know, but....

Jim has stated the reason Demonreach has a limp is because of the damage the glacier did to the land as it passed over and carved out Lake Michigan, not because of any action Rashid may have taken.

Demonreach and Rashid just don't get along.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant  Robert McCloskey

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did but people will never forget how you made them feel  Maya Angelou

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 09:11:56 AM »
I don't know if you know, but....

Jim has stated the reason Demonreach has a limp is because of the damage the glacier did to the land as it passed over and carved out Lake Michigan, not because of any action Rashid may have taken.

Demonreach and Rashid just don't get along.

The glacier is the result of an ice-age... which is kind of Mab's fault. Does that mean taking up the mantle of winter knight would adversely affect how Harry and Demonreach get along?
 lol
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
The glacier is the result of an ice-age... which is kind of Mab's fault. Does that mean taking up the mantle of winter knight would adversely affect how Harry and Demonreach get along?
 lol

It's a Distinict Possability.

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 06:02:16 PM »

I don't think we should attribute every natural phenomenon to conflict between the Faerie courts.

In fact, our weather was only adversely affected when Summer and Winter went to war while one was substantially less powerful than the other.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant  Robert McCloskey

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did but people will never forget how you made them feel  Maya Angelou

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
And if you will remmeber, if the former Summer Lady's plan had succeded, it would have plumeted the world into another Ice Age.

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »
And if you will remmeber, if the former Summer Lady's plan had succeded, it would have plumeted the world into another Ice Age.

Because, in keeping with the point I made, the missing portion of Summer's power would have become part of Winter, further unbalancing the Courts.

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 02:10:29 AM »
Because, in keeping with the point I made, the missing portion of Summer's power would have become part of Winter, further unbalancing the Courts.

Yes that's true. But this kind of proves that the whole Glacier thing is a vary liklly possabilty.

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 02:12:00 AM »
Yes that's true. But this kind of proves that the whole Glacier thing is a vary liklly possabilty.

Which would mean that, for an incredibly long period of time, Winter was drastically more powerful than Summer, which doesn't really keep in with what we know of the Courts.

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009, 07:24:33 PM »
But it's not the frist time Earth has excperinced an Ice Age. And it's also not the frist time earth has expreinced wamer weather too. This mean that the courts weren't always in Balnece to start with. And Remember, they may live for a vary long time, but I doubt vary much that Mad and Tatiana were the frist Rulers of the Winter and Summer Courts.