Author Topic: Post-TDF RPG Releases  (Read 2578 times)

Offline XavierDLH

• Conversationalist
  • Bringing down the walls of Wonderland.
    • View Profile
Post-TDF RPG Releases
« on: May 04, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »
I know that it's been said that the Dresden Files RPG is going to be very much a stand-alone entity, unlike most other, popular RPGs out there, with gobs of rules and story supplements. I rather love the idea of that, as it seems some RPG makers really go out on a limb to make a quick buck. So applause for that!

But it leads the mind to wonder what you guys are going to do after the Dresden Files RPG is out. Know what I'm thinkin'? Of course you do! Codex Alera! Is doing a Codex Alera RPG a possibility, though? I hope so. I'm much more a traditional fantasy fan, so I would probably enjoy such an RPG release more than TDF.

I think it would probably be a tighter game, too, as far as the mechanics go. In the Dresden Files, almost anything is possible with magic. But furycrafting is considerably more limited.

It'd also be awesome for character profiles, like what are being planned for the Dresden Files RPG. I have a REAL difficult time keeping track of the characters on the sidelines in both series.

Just a thought! ;D
When the senses get ecstatic
Overflow is automatic
Feel the need to be erratic
Don't deny it; let it flow

-- Def Leppard - Go

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Post-TDF RPG Releases
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »
I think we're gonna want to take a nice, long break from doing licensed settings after DF, but who knows. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline XavierDLH

• Conversationalist
  • Bringing down the walls of Wonderland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Hahaha. Vacation. I hear ya.

Since the Codex Alera series finishes up at the end of this year, though, I think we should know... you know...
(click to show/hide)
When the senses get ecstatic
Overflow is automatic
Feel the need to be erratic
Don't deny it; let it flow

-- Def Leppard - Go

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »
On that spoiler front, you might want to listen to what Jim says in the latest Butcher Block: http://butcherblock.libsyn.com
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Gilesth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »
Realistically, I think the Codex Alera would be a simple mod of FATE.  Anima would be a decent system to tweak to make the story, but the GM would have to take some extra time creating limits for the PCs and statting up NPCs.  It could be done, though...at least until a licensed property comes out.
I write, I game, I read.  I'm a nerd, married to a nerd, and I'm proud of it!

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:27:09 AM »
Wasn't it said that the supplements and updates would be released as PDFs on the official site? (as opposed to scads of splatbooks)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »
Wasn't it said that the supplements and updates would be released as PDFs on the official site? (as opposed to scads of splatbooks)

Yeah. Honestly, we may even just do it as tagged-by-novel blog posts -- we haven't really planned the actual *form* those will manifest in.
Fred Hicks