Poll

Are you interested in a members/invite only BB for writers?

Yes
101 (95.3%)
No
5 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: New Writer's Group from this Board  (Read 53635 times)

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
Re: New Writer's Group from this Board
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2007, 04:39:49 PM »
Paige, excellent points. Seriously. However, I think they actually belong on the board themselves, rather than the EULA, because they're more specific than I intended to be. (And, on a side note, some folks can miss something while others totally get it, so it's a weird balance.)

Rough draft:
Welcome to the Cogni Writer’s Group.
This is a private board, the purpose of which is to aid its members with the production of and marketing of prose. This is a board of peers, and any account hierarchy is strictly due to the administration of the board.
To be a member of this group, you agree to the following:
1)   I shall respect the other members of this board, including respecting their intellectual property…in short, I shall not steal ideas or prose from other members, and they shall not steal from me.  I also understand that if this does happen, only the thief is responsible and accountable, not the administrators of this board, or the host (Invision.)
2)   I shall be courteous and offer constructive criticism to other’s prose. This does not mean I cannot be brutally honest, but my intention must be to aid the other authors, not to belittle them. Likewise, I should not just say that their work is the best thing since sliced bread unless I really mean it…authors cannot hone their craft without constructive criticism. I understand that others will be expected to treat me in the same fashion. I understand that constructive debate is encouraged, not just one-off criticism, because it can delve further into a subject and open up new avenues. I understand that this concept should not lead to flame wars, however. I understand that this is a conceit within this board, and that Real Life Editors ™ can be harsh and not prone to debate.
3)   There are no requirements on this board for members to read/review a certain amount before they can post their own work. It is therefore my own responsibility to let people know I have new work posted if I want people to review it. I understand that some authors may receive more attention from readers than others, because of this lack of structure. The reason for this board lacking such requirements is to encourage a stress free, creative environment. I do understand that despite this, I will be expected to comment on other’s work and participate in the community, rather than just post my prose and wait for the comments to flood in.
4)   I understand that there may be the occasional non-writer on the boards who is here to help. Likewise, it is possible that there may be authors who help, but don’t post their prose.
5)   I understand that I may recommend someone to join these boards, and that to do so, I need to tell the administrators…and have my recruit say that I sent them.

Comments?
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline pathele

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2007, 08:19:56 PM »
That sound good, to the point and covers everything important.
I say cool, go with it.

-paul

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2007, 09:33:57 PM »
Paige, excellent points. Seriously. However, I think they actually belong on the board themselves, rather than the EULA, because they're more specific than I intended to be. (And, on a side note, some folks can miss something while others totally get it, so it's a weird balance.)

Rough draft:
This is a private board, the purpose of which is to aid its members with the production of and marketing of prose. This is a board of peers, and any account hierarchy is strictly due to the administration of the board.
1)   I shall respect the other members of this board, including respecting their intellectual property…in short, I shall not steal ideas or prose from other members, and they shall not steal from me.  I also understand that if this does happen, only the thief is responsible and accountable, not the administrators of this board, or the host (Invision.)
2)   I shall be courteous and offer constructive criticism to other’s prose. This does not mean I cannot be brutally honest, but my intention must be to aid the other authors, not to belittle them. Likewise, I should not just say that their work is the best thing since sliced bread unless I really mean it…authors cannot hone their craft without constructive criticism. I understand that others will be expected to treat me in the same fashion. I understand that constructive debate is encouraged, not just one-off criticism, because it can delve further into a subject and open up new avenues. I understand that this concept should not lead to flame wars, however. I understand that this is a conceit within this board, and that Real Life Editors ™ can be harsh and not prone to debate.
3)   There are no requirements on this board for members to read/review a certain amount before they can post their own work. It is therefore my own responsibility to let people know I have new work posted if I want people to review it. I understand that some authors may receive more attention from readers than others, because of this lack of structure. The reason for this board lacking such requirements is to encourage a stress free, creative environment. I do understand that despite this, I will be expected to comment on other’s work and participate in the community, rather than just post my prose and wait for the comments to flood in.
4)   I understand that there may be the occasional non-writer on the boards who is here to help. Likewise, it is possible that there may be authors who help, but don’t post their prose.
5)   I understand that I may recommend someone to join these boards, and that to do so, I need to tell the administrators…and have my recruit say that I sent them.

Comments?

Sounds good.  I'm ready!
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2007, 04:05:02 AM »
Sounds good to me!
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
  • Uh...what was the question?
    • View Profile
    • Author Paige Cuccaro~ Alison Paige
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2007, 11:11:31 AM »

Uhm, K.  ::)

Rough draft:

Comments?

Yup! Works. I likes.  ;)

Offline resurrectedwarrior

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2007, 02:15:31 AM »

Rough draft:

Comments?

Here's a big, fat ditto to what everyone else has said. This looks fine to me!

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2007, 12:49:58 AM »
Ok, we're real close. So close I'm going to start creating accounts for interested folks.
IM me with the following:
A) Your requested board name (I recommend either your nom de plume or a variation of it, but you don't HAVE to do that)
B) Your email address you want to register under.
C) A statement that you have read and understand the EULA listed above (it's on the site as well).

Wormwood Mysteries:

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2007, 12:03:40 AM »
Ok, we're real close. So close I'm going to start creating accounts for interested folks.
A) Your requested board name (I recommend either your nom de plume or a variation of it, but you don't HAVE to do that)
C) A statement that you have read and understand the EULA listed above (it's on the site as well).

IM or Pm?  ??? ???

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2007, 07:01:33 AM »

IM or Pm?  ??? ???

Craig

PM.  He has no IM listed in his profile.
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline Mickey Finn

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2007, 01:06:15 PM »
Sorry, PM. We use IM at work, and it just came out wrong when I was typing it (at work).
Planning on opening sometime between Sun & Weds. ;)

Wormwood Mysteries:

Offline etoiline

• Participant
  • thinking really hard
    • View Profile
    • aspire to the stars
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2007, 10:04:34 PM »
Wow, this is exciting. I've always read about authors and their writing groups, so it would be great to get that kind of help for us not-so-experienced writers.

Count me in!

~Cal
~~
aspire to the stars: http://etoiline.com

Offline Aerhen

• Conversationalist
  • Aspiring Writer... or is that Perspiring
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2007, 09:30:36 PM »
Mickey i sent u an email with what u said u wanted.. and i didnt get a response or an invite to the writers BB... did i do something wrong??

Offline Mickey Finn

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2007, 01:12:45 PM »
Try it again? I either didn't get it, or I did and my response never made it to you (when I see what you want for a user name, I'll know)

Technically, the board is open. My girlfriend and I caught the flu this past Sunday, and with that and the barrage of posts to moderate since Dresden aired, I haven't touched the board since then, but it's open if people wanna poke around and post about themselves (or their stuff).

Fairly soon, there will be writers exercises people can join in if they want to ;)

Wormwood Mysteries:

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »
Try it again? I either didn't get it, or I did and my response never made it to you (when I see what you want for a user name, I'll know)

Technically, the board is open. My girlfriend and I caught the flu this past Sunday, and with that and the barrage of posts to moderate since Dresden aired, I haven't touched the board since then, but it's open if people wanna poke around and post about themselves (or their stuff).

Fairly soon, there will be writers exercises people can join in if they want to ;)

It is? I didn't know that...... :o

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2007, 02:04:25 PM »
It is?  And I also did not get a response.  PM with info again, I guess?