Author Topic: Nano 2008  (Read 6672 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Nano 2008
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
Well, it's that time of year again.  It seems like only yesterday I failed to complete my first NaNoWriMO.  Anyone planning on participating this year?  I still haven't decided if I'm going to or not.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
Re: Nano 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 04:08:58 AM »
I'm gonna try again.  Didn't finish my first one because I hated the beginning, plus school and work was getting in the way.  This time, I'm prepared for it, but I need and new laptop (MacBook or Eee PC).
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline twinswin123

• Posty McPostington
  • It happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 04:12:17 AM »
What is it?
"You're going to kill us all!"

"Well you're ugly but we don't say that out loud."

"You've been naughty, go to my room!

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 05:33:55 AM »
You try to write a novel in a month.  Specifically November.
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »
Here's the link to their website, for those who don't know what it is...

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
I think I'm going to go for it.  Though I hate having unfinished things when I start something new.  I need to finish a short story I'm on atm and the novel, from which I took a break to write the current short.  I would really like to have those wrapped up before I try to start Nano. 

I think I'm going to use it to write a rough draft of my fantasy trilogy (maybe quadrilogy) that I've been wanting to write since I was in middle school.  It was next on my list, after the current novel, anyway.  But the novel WIP kind of burned me out and I had to take a breather from it to write something in the real world.  It's been a nice refresher.  Hopefully I will be able to get back to the novel and finish it before Nano.

If not, it can just wait longer.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »
I'm not doing it, but I am going to try to move onto a project I can actually finish fairly soon.  Though having a house full of guests for a week from Thursday, my mother here for most of the second half of September, and more houseguests first half of October will not help with all this.

November's always struck me as an odd month to pick for this, anyway.  It's so not going to work for people with seasonal affective disorder issues.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »
Yeah...it's kind of a busy time of year.  But, a lot of people create that holiday frenzy themselves.  I've never understood that.  Everyone complains about how stressful the holiday season is, and yet it's because of people that the season is that way.  Just chill.  Christmas will come whether you have the pot roast finished or not.

It's a problem for me because I work in TV advertising.  And from October through December we are up to our eyeballs in productions.  Those are the months of 80 hour work weeks.  That's why I didn't finish Nano last year.

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:41:44 PM »
Yeah...it's kind of a busy time of year.  But, a lot of people create that holiday frenzy themselves.  I've never understood that.  Everyone complains about how stressful the holiday season is, and yet it's because of people that the season is that way.  Just chill.  Christmas will come whether you have the pot roast finished or not.

It's a problem for me because I work in TV advertising.  And from October through December we are up to our eyeballs in productions.  Those are the months of 80 hour work weeks.  That's why I didn't finish Nano last year.

For me, I worked in my family's bed and breakfast for the past 16 years.  When the holidays start coming, weekends and weekdays in Big Bear Lake, California is a mosh pit after the ski resorts open.  In some cases, I had to turn over over 12 rooms one time in ONE day, and that was when we could accommodate 24 guests.  Now its 48.  Four days after New Years is when it starts to calm down but the bad part is that this year alone, my family is expecting to sell the business and have to get out and find a new place to live.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 09:10:59 PM »
Think I'll pass.  It's tempting, but I'm on Chapter Ten of my rough draft and I'd rather concentrate on finishing that than starting something new just for the sake of, ya know, starting something new.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »
Think I'll pass.  It's tempting, but I'm on Chapter Ten of my rough draft and I'd rather concentrate on finishing that than starting something new just for the sake of, ya know, starting something new.

I hear that.  I'm not thrilled about the thought of starting Nano before I finish the two projects I have pending right now.  I'm almost finished with both, however, so I think I can be finished by November.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »
I hear that.  I'm not thrilled about the thought of starting Nano before I finish the two projects I have pending right now.  I'm almost finished with both, however, so I think I can be finished by November.

*sigh*

I have five projects actively pending right now.  Two are long long-term things I have been working on for many years and expect to be working on for many years more, one is only just started, one has run into plot difficulties about 50kwords in, and the one I do definitely know how to finish is going to take me about a hundred thousand words.  Though I will probably go back to it once I get disentangled from the currently stressful chunk of long-term project that is being annoying.  (The section in question contains depiction of a relationship people were unwise to get into in the first place slowly going bad, and then spectacularly bad, in ways informed by my experience of same; it's not a direct lift by any means, but it's still damned depressing to get into the right headspace for.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 02:01:05 PM »
I finished one of the WIPs!!!  Now I just have to wrap up the novel...I'm in the last sequence, just a few chapters left.  I hope I can make it by November.