Author Topic: ARC question  (Read 5607 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
ARC question
« on: August 03, 2008, 03:35:46 PM »
Hopefully one of the published authors can answer this one: 

I've been hearing a lot lately about Advance Reading Copies (ARCs) and I'm wondering if these are the same as the free copies of a newly published book given to a writer by his/her publisher, which traditionally were given away to family and friends.  If they are, are writers now expected to use them instead for promotional purposes, by sending them for review to professional critics and/or other writers in the same genre?  Is there some sort of professional etiquette writers are supposed to follow in this regard?  Thanks.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: ARC question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:03:15 PM »
I've been hearing a lot lately about Advance Reading Copies (ARCs) and I'm wondering if these are the same as the free copies of a newly published book given to a writer by his/her publisher, which traditionally were given away to family and friends.  If they are, are writers now expected to use them instead for promotional purposes, by sending them for review to professional critics and/or other writers in the same genre?  Is there some sort of professional etiquette writers are supposed to follow in this regard?  Thanks.
No, they're not promo copies sent to the author, ARCs are sent by the publisher to book reviewers and book buyers for the chain bookstores to generate orders and (hopefully) positive reviews and word-of-mouth buzz before the official release date.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:12:43 PM »

wearing my "married to a professional writer" hat:

ARCs, your publisher's publicity people send out to you, though you may get a couple if someone happens to think it would be cool. Author free copies, you get about the time that edition of the books is actually released; IME, both hardbacks and paperbacks show up and then slowly fill your wardrobe until you auction them off to cover a trip to Worldcon or something some years later.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »
Ah, okay.  Thanks to you both for clearing this up.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline bookivore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:53:25 AM »
ARCS are often large paperbacks with promotional stuff on the covers identifying them as ARCs, saying when they will come out, etc if they are for hardcovers.  I expect the publisher has less expense than for the hardcover but doesn't have to reformat the text like they would have to do for a MM paperback.