Author Topic: Looking for thoughts to break a stalemate  (Read 8689 times)

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
Looking for thoughts to break a stalemate
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »
This is a stalemate in my own head about a fundamental background aspect of the story I'm working on, and I'm hoping that getting some other people's thoughts will help.

Premise:
Earth has discovered via experimentation that there is a barrier of some sort around the solar system.  The barrier blocks patterned transmissions (i.e. communications) and disables drive systems. 

Long story short, long ago humanity was out among the stars and was part of the galactic community.  We ended up at war with several of the major races, and were eventually beaten back to our home planet.  There the galactic community forced the opposition to hold off our extermination, as they value the rarity of intelligent life in the universe.  However, all of our technology was wiped out with nanites and we were knocked... <ahem> back to the stone age, basically.  We were nicknamed the "Destroyers" over the years for our ferocity and used to scare children at night. 

The story is about humanity's escape from the Barrier via a jump drive that tunnels through space instead of actually moving through space, and the politics of various alien races that wish they had helped us before, and intend to do so this time.  The first jump ship is also destroyed by a force stationed around our star, and of course Earth knows nothing about what has happened before.

Question:
I originally wanted to set this in a few hundred years from our time.  The problem is that that requires at least some explanation of how this actually fits into our own known timeline.  However, I don't really want to make this into an Atlantis story.  That shouldn't be the focus.

The other option is to make US the ones that get out and fight, and have the story set several THOUSAND years down the road, and learning about us.  This would remove the need for explanations, but create the need for a whole new world, set of governments, military structure, economics, etc.

Both of these are attractive, but I particularly like the idea of it being in our time. 
What do you think are the pros and cons of both approaches?  I'd certainly appreciate any other thoughts as well.  Thank you. -Matt
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for thoughts to break a stalemate
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:18:24 AM »
how about; we find the secret of stardrive A within the next ten years.  Stardrive A is fast enough and cheap enough, and we've found enough interesting looking extrasolar terrestrial planets, for it to make economic sense to get out there and exploit them, so we go out there, and the people who do so are, oh, rapacious corporate types, or manifest-destiny militarists, people who will see this as an opportunity and not take seriously the notion that non-humans might have any preferences in the matter, or give us a hammering if they objected, until they do. 

[ I'm presuming, if the aliens have tech enough to knock us back to the stone age, then they have tech enough to exterminate us if they wanted to. Therefore they don't want to and are letting us live. Because they are so much nicer than we are, if we become their bogeymen as you describe. ]

Knocked back to the Stone Age with bits of modern tech lying around, maybe even the odd library or two, all you need for a plausible recovery in a few centuries is one reasonably successful tech-focused society - who can go ahead and rebuild a civilisation in just a few hundred years, srpad out into the solar system again, and end up discovering stardrive B and giving you your story.

If you need a few thousand years to pass in the outside world, have there be a time-slowing component to the barrier.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:02:34 PM »
Well, definitely some of that could be a story idea.  That said, the original humans are actually scapegoats, who, though very fierce and successful in the military sense, didn't actually start the original war anyway.  That's been covered up all along, however, and only one race (and maybe some high-ranking officials elsewhere) know the truth. 

Your presumption is quite correct, that they could have exterminated us, and they nearly did, only refraining because genocide is the one "unforgiveable sin", if you will, in galactic society.

In the original idea, their nanotech wipes out EVERYTHING technological and they kill off most of the population, so we are literally thousands of years rebuilding. 

That said, if I go with us being the original humans, I can certainly do the several hundred years thing.

It's not so much a question of the how, as that is part of the fun of writing.  The question is which. :)  Thanks for the response!!

Hypertext SotC SRD:

Offline Buttersfly

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:32:52 PM »
I like your premise; it sounds like a book I'd want to read.

I'd go with the whole world instead of just the US.  Current events make it hard to project US global dominance lasting in its present form through the next few weeks, much less the next few centuries.  Global power seems to be shifting to China and India, which would make an interesting alternative to the US, but might necessitate getting an M.A. in Asian Studies.  My advice, again:  go with Planet of the A--holes.  Things change.
"But writing is different because you do not have to learn or practise it and it is more tempermental because practising seems to take all the temperment out of me."  --Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Offline jaezon

• Conversationalist
  • I'm a wizard!! Atomic Fireball to the eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »
Just making sure I have a cocuple of tidbits right.
The humans coming into the jumpdrive age (albeit their 2nd) is going to "escape" or solar system.
They have no knowledge that this is their 2nd coming, or of the beings that lie beyond the barrier.
Former allies of humans will approach the newly arrived generation and again try to aid them.

Are all of those points valid?
And to all my peeps who made this possibly: word, yo.

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »
Buttersfly:
Thanks. :)  Not sure about the whole world comment.  It really does center around the world as a whole.  In fact, in the current version, the first jump ship (the one that unfortunately gets destroyed) is a multinational vessel but is commanded by a Japanese man.  I agree about the state of national power.

Jaezon:
1. Correct, though neither the first round of humans nor the aliens ever developed the jump drive.  It was a "necessity" thing.  Most races use something similar to the Alcubierre Metric. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_metric
2. Also correct.  They are desperately hoping that they aren't alone in the universe, and optimistic about meeting other beings, finally.  Until they are attacked right off the bat, of course.
3. Correct, though originally the others weren't "allies" so much as "cheerleaders".  The first time around their help might have made a difference, but they didn't really help.

So, do I smell a "this has been done"? :)  If so, I haven't read it, but either way, much of writing is about your own personal take on things.

Hypertext SotC SRD:

Offline jaezon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »
Everything's been done somehow, I'm sure, but that doesn't keep inspired author from making it their own and just plain being awesome.  And no, I haven't read it, either.  I just wanted to have my facts straight.  :)

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 01:24:08 AM »
LOL. Thanks then. :)  So, thoughts?  Obviously if WE are the 2nd time around, then there is some explaining required... I think it CAN fit in the timeline of how long we've been around, assuming all old technology has been eaten, and given that humanity and our technological development is such a SHORT period of time as far as the earth is concerned. 

Nevertheless, there are positive points to making us the first round too, and developing a new world from scratch.  This allows the odd tidbit from our era to pop in as well, which can be fun, if nothing else.

Hypertext SotC SRD:

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:44:12 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by an Atlantis story. Do you mean you don't want there to be traces of an ancient civilization that was once destroyed? If this is the case then just say that the present earth was not the one we first developed on. The aliens placed us on it as a zoo or prison planet. We never had the sophisticated tech on this planet because they had taken it from us before they ever put us here.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »
Basically I just mean the Atlantis... trope, for lack of a better word. 

The lost city of Atlantis is out there somewhere... the pyramids are landing sites for alien spaceships, the world's religious texts actually describe alien visitations, etc.

Focusing on these types of things rather than the actual plot is a problem.

It's similar to the "stranger in a strange land" sort of trope:
Man from the past brought to the future and then the story focuses on how they think everything is weird.  Think "Encino Man", Bill & Ted, etc.  Usually at least somewhat humorous, poking fun at their reactions to modern everday things.

Zoo/Prison: Not a bad idea... will have to think on that more.  I've considered it but maybe it needs more consideration. :)

Hypertext SotC SRD:

Offline jaezon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »
LOL. Thanks then. :)  So, thoughts?  Obviously if WE are the 2nd time around, then there is some explaining required... I think it CAN fit in the timeline of how long we've been around, assuming all old technology has been eaten, and given that humanity and our technological development is such a SHORT period of time as far as the earth is concerned. 

Nevertheless, there are positive points to making us the first round too, and developing a new world from scratch.  This allows the odd tidbit from our era to pop in as well, which can be fun, if nothing else.

Personally, I think I appreciate the 2nd go-round more.  And I don't think you would have to explain a whole lot.  In certain settings, readers are just ready to believe.  They are ready to make sense of it for you.  Take JB's Codex.  While some people pretty well know
(click to show/hide)
, some would argue that it could be
(click to show/hide)
  No explanation really required and some people prefer it that way.  It leaves them even more places to take their imagination (or argue about on forums  :D).

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 02:39:51 PM »
Personally, I think I appreciate the 2nd go-round more. 

Fwiw, there's a sizable audience for whom any "we are the second go around" ancient astronauts stuff will kill the book dead; because far too many of the people actually advocating that sort of rubbish in the real world from von Daniken on lie, misrepresent their data, and could not assemble a logical argument to save their lives.

Take JB's Codex.  While some people pretty well know
(click to show/hide)
, some would argue that it could be
(click to show/hide)

Not if you know anything at all about Roman history.  (Even if you are willing to make the mental contortions necessary to make all the geography fit.)

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline jaezon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »
Apparantly I don't know much at all about Roman History, and don't general care about the lay of the land to have to make it fit.  I didn't really care where it was happening, as long as it was happening.  Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth novels) said one of the worst things he did for his books was include a map b/c people focus too much on the geography and takes the focus from the story.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:37:09 PM »
Apparantly I don't know much at all about Roman History, and don't general care about the lay of the land to have to make it fit.  I didn't really care where it was happening, as long as it was happening.

Fine if you are writing just for yourself; but if you don't care one way or the other, then books with consistent geography and history won't do you any harm, and they'll make a lot of positive difference to a lot of other readers, so why not make the effort.

Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth novels) said one of the worst things he did for his books was include a map b/c people focus too much on the geography and takes the focus from the story.

Well, it would have helped if he had not made the supposed scale of his maps and the time people take to travel on them drastically inconsistent.. In the first book, at least; I could not stomach reading any further.

I don't like maps, in general, because they are a viewpoint issue that's wrong for many sorts of story.  But they can work if they are done right and appropriate to the story.

Offline Fade

• Posty McPostington
  • TrottelTruppe #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 05:44:54 PM »
why does earth have to be our home planet? maybe this is where we were forced back to? a much newer planet? this way it fits with the time line.
Zerstören
Ich will ein guter Junge sein
Doch das Verlangen holt mich ein
Ich muss zerstören

Angst Ist Tod
Platypuses are sexy.