Author Topic: most productive day ever  (Read 12690 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
most productive day ever
« on: July 27, 2008, 06:13:19 AM »
Well, today was actually my second most, by raw wordcount: 8400 words first draft, writing from about 16.30 in the afternoon to about 1.30 in the morning, with I'd guess somewhere under an hour's break for dinner.  (This may or may not seem less good contexted with hardware problems that mean I essentially have not been able to write for three weeks).

My all-time record is 10,500 words, June 20/21 of 2004, Saturday lunchtime to 9.30, going out to see a show that didn't happen after waiting around for it for an hour, getting home furious just after midnight, and writing for three more hours. (I count that as a day. YMMV.)

So what was your most productive individual day ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: most productive day ever
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 03:52:54 PM »
Nice.  I think my most productive day was like 5 pages.  Don't recall how many words that is...2000 or something?
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »
Nice.  I think my most productive day was like 5 pages.  Don't recall how many words that is...2000 or something?

I don't count pages; software's not consistent on it, and most markets note their preferences in terms of word count.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »
I count by pages for my own purposes.  I know I can get x number of words into so-and-so many number of pages, so it keeps me from checking Word Count constantly.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »
That's a nice haul on word count!  I can hit that when I'm cruising, but it wakes up my hand/wrist injuries.  Lately, I've had the luxury of keeping a 2-3k pace per day, which I like quite a bit.

My record is 13k after a night of prescription stimulants, Fruity Pebbles, and no sleep.  I was crazy by the time it was over.  I will never do that again.  Never. Again.  Don't do it, guys.  No, I'm serious. DON'T.
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline Dread Pirate Sayessa

• Posty McPostington
  • Did the cow creamer tell you that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »
That's a nice haul on word count!  I can hit that when I'm cruising, but it wakes up my hand/wrist injuries.  Lately, I've had the luxury of keeping a 2-3k pace per day, which I like quite a bit.

My record is 13k after a night of prescription stimulants, Fruity Pebbles, and no sleep.  I was crazy by the time it was over.  I will never do that again.  Never. Again.  Don't do it, guys.  No, I'm serious. DON'T.

Fruity Pebbles and prescription stimulants?  Does it warn you in the Drug Interactions to avoid Fruity Pebbles??

And I will take your advice to heart!  (Since I don't eat Fruity Pebbles this really isn't as difficult a thing to avoid as one would think.)
I ATE'NT DEAD

I still think 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit is "wintertime"
Thanks, SoCal.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:23:06 PM »
Fruity Pebbles and prescription stimulants?  Does it warn you in the Drug Interactions to avoid Fruity Pebbles??

And I will take your advice to heart!  (Since I don't eat Fruity Pebbles this really isn't as difficult a thing to avoid as one would think.)

Likewise, it is a really bad idea, when you are used to absently nibbling chocolate-covered raisins out of a bowl and actually putting away a fair few of them over a few hours' working, to have a bowl of chocolate-covered espresso beans in a place where you might do that with them.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »
Those beans are hard core.  The first time I ate them I munched half a box, thinking "Oh man these are tasty."  without thinking about the fact that they are caffiene incarnate.  That was a long evening.

Offline Dread Pirate Sayessa

• Posty McPostington
  • Did the cow creamer tell you that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 06:16:10 PM »
Likewise, it is a really bad idea, when you are used to absently nibbling chocolate-covered raisins out of a bowl and actually putting away a fair few of them over a few hours' working, to have a bowl of chocolate-covered espresso beans in a place where you might do that with them.

...ouch.

My only comparable story is the time I absently ate an entire bag of Skittles while watching Seven (Se7en?  The one with Brad Pitt--yeah IMDB says Se7en...) and even though it was a movie theatre size, I usually don't finish a bag in one sitting.  I'm not much of a sugar person.  I was soooo hyper then nauseated, it wasn't fun.  And no, it wasn't from the grotesqueries in the movie, as I am not bothered by that sort of stuff.
I ATE'NT DEAD

I still think 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit is "wintertime"
Thanks, SoCal.

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 07:41:15 AM »
Stop this talk of delicious sugary food.  I'm dieting.

Oh my god. Chocolate espresso beans...chocolate anything...

*drools*
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline SCARPA

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 07:33:41 PM »
I seem to write in small bits and spurts. Sometimes only a few hundred words in a shot. It works, but slowly. I am currently rewriting a 60,000 word draft into an 80,000 word manuscript. I am learning to consider sucess in terms of context than quantity. I do think its important to be consistant with the time I spend though, even if its only a little bit each day.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »
So what was your most productive individual day ?

I don't actually rate my productiveness (is that even a word?) in terms of wordcount; I base it on getting through a difficult scene, solving a continuity problem, or closing a plot loophole you can drive a truck through, but my typical output for one session is 5-6 pages double spaced, 10 point Courier.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 05:26:51 AM »
Considering I'm Greener than the Hulk when it comes to writing, I've not had most experiences. I thank God and several other deities that I've had the chance to write. But my best sofar was for my Advanced writing course. I had a chapter of my Novella to finish and I did roughly 5-6 pages, single spaced, in a span of 4 or so hours. Afterwards, I promptly had my aneurysm, regrouped, cleaned the blood from my nose and read to see if it was legible and coherent.
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 06:18:02 AM »
Considering I'm Greener than the Hulk when it comes to writing, I've not had most experiences. I thank God and several other deities that I've had the chance to write. But my best sofar was for my Advanced writing course. I had a chapter of my Novella to finish and I did roughly 5-6 pages, single spaced, in a span of 4 or so hours. Afterwards, I promptly had my aneurysm, regrouped, cleaned the blood from my nose and read to see if it was legible and coherent.

Actually, I just topped myself. 8 pages double spaced, and it's all coherent and makes sense.

Now, excuse me...

/passes out
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline twinswin123

• Posty McPostington
  • It happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 02:55:40 PM »
I don't actually rate my productiveness (is that even a word?) in terms of wordcount; I base it on getting through a difficult scene, solving a continuity problem, or closing a plot loophole you can drive a truck through, but my typical output for one session is 5-6 pages double spaced, 10 point Courier.

I believe that it is productivity. But close enough.

Ya I base success on getting more than what I had originally planned on written in one sitting.
"You're going to kill us all!"

"Well you're ugly but we don't say that out loud."

"You've been naughty, go to my room!