Author Topic: Something Funky with the Polls  (Read 7630 times)

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Something Funky with the Polls
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:11:25 PM »
Strange things seem to be afoot with the polling system. For instance, in the Who is Cowl? thread, there are 102 votes shown in the bar graphs, but only 100 "total voters" listed at the bottom of the poll.

I'm not mentioning this because I think it's a big deal or anything, I just wonder what the cause of the discrepancy is. I figure there are two possibilities: either the "total voters" number doesn't include Mod votes when they have some level of invisibility turned on, and two Mods were invisible when they voted(or two Mods are invisible now, and for some reason their votes become invisible when they do); or(more likely, I suppose) two people decided to remove their votes and vote differently, and somewhere in this process the "total voters" number was altered accurately, but the votes shown by the bar graphs were not.

Anyway, I was just curious about it.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Syntopicon

• Posty McPostington
  • All glory to the hypnotoad.
    • View Profile
Re: Something Funky with the Polls
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:35 PM »
What about voters with deleted accounts or some such thing?
Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

You've seen it!  You can't unsee it!

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »
What about voters with deleted accounts or some such thing?

Yeah, that's a good idea, I didn't think of that one. A "remove vote" glitch still seems more likely to me, but deleted accounts seems more likely than the invisible Mod theory.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Syntopicon

• Posty McPostington
  • All glory to the hypnotoad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »
Either that or some people's votes counted double.
Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

You've seen it!  You can't unsee it!