Author Topic: what playable stuff are you hoping for?  (Read 58465 times)

Offline John 1:17

• Conversationalist
  • For the Za-Lord!
    • View Profile
Re: what playable stuff are you hoping for?
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2010, 06:26:48 PM »
What i want to see more than anything, which I know is going to be in there, is the ability to stat up your own foci, with the ability to make them loose enough to adapt on the fly.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »
What i want to see more than anything, which I know is going to be in there, is the ability to stat up your own foci, with the ability to make them loose enough to adapt on the fly.
Oh yes, that's very much in there. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2010, 04:54:59 AM »
So, it seems logical you could take something like this and make it into an interesting spell focus.

Are there any guidelines about how good it would be, relative to something with less mystical significance, such as a modern squid pictue drawn with india ink or a laser-printed squid?
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2010, 05:07:57 AM »
So, it seems logical you could take something like this and make it into an interesting spell focus.

Are there any guidelines about how good it would be, relative to something with less mystical significance, such as a modern squid pictue drawn with india ink or a laser-printed squid?

Loooooose guidelines, maybe. Mostly that would be all about the story the wizard in question could tell the GM. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »
I'm with TheMouse on this one. It's about mortal practitioners, and about enforcement... Your emissary is in interesting territory -- that's probably a mortal practitioner doing the deed, but they're under the aegis of whatever political/supernatural entity they're an emissary for.  I'd say it's a violation of the law as far as the Council sees it, but diplomatic entanglements will make enforcement difficult.  But, there's also a "the-reality-of-how-breaking-the-laws-affects-you" side to the laws in the RPG, so I'd say you probably still get dinged by the 'Lawbreaker' effect, mechanically, regardless of whether or not you can evade the political consequences.
Heh. This relates back to an idea of mine I had...

(click to show/hide)

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2010, 02:49:08 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but was there a character type that fit in line with the "Denarius in my head" thing?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2010, 03:08:16 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but was there a character type that fit in line with the "Denarius in my head" thing?
You mean, like "A Person"? :)

(click to show/hide)
Fred Hicks

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2010, 06:57:04 PM »
You know. That might be the way to rejigger for the purposes of making a Spirit Familiar.

I sure hope there are Companion rules that let you snag something like a Spirit, ala Bob.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2010, 07:37:16 PM »
I sure hope there are Companion rules that let you snag something like a Spirit, ala Bob.
There are multiple ways to implement something like Bob. (Who could just be a "high quality library with a personality", or could be more detailed than that.) I seem to recall we talk about 'em.
Fred Hicks

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »
I was looking through my shadowrun books last night and it got me wondering if there is going to be anything like the physical adept in the dfrpg?
Hey there. I've not seen the rules. But I have two suggestions that MIGHT get you what you want.

My suggestion boils down to picking one of the following supernatural character-types, and just reskinning it as a Physical Adept, a Magical Warrior. You pick normal Mortal stunts, but also take the package you have to for the Supernatural type, and then just "reskin" the powers. Again, I've not seen the rules, and they may not be what you're looking for, or have drawbacks, or even be able to be reskinned.

Maybe your DM will let you get out of some of the Musts, or force you to take others, by making different packages.

1) Focused Practitioner. Depending on what powers you want for your Adept, you could focus on Air, so you can use spells to get you those "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" leaps, or give you an extra "push" so you can run faster. I imagine there's an area of spells that would facilitate you making multiple attacks or faster attacks (a "haste" effect, if you will).

2) Lycanthrope. Remember, these are just rage-spirit conduits. They get access to Inhuman (strength/speed/recovery). Reskinning their Pack Instinct or Echoes of the Beast as something else (like "Magical Awareness", or physical withdrawals from using powers to effect your physical body, etc).