Author Topic: what playable stuff are you hoping for?  (Read 58284 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: what playable stuff are you hoping for?
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2009, 09:35:06 PM »
What TheMouse said, Squeek.

Man, that's funny.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2009, 09:59:19 PM »

Man, that's funny.

How did I manage to miss that?

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2009, 03:30:29 AM »

Man, that's funny.
;D ;D That is good stuff!

Offline T.R.C.C.

• Posty McPostington
  • The Red Court Courier
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2009, 12:19:57 AM »
Unintental humour's the best kind.

As for what playable stuff I'm hoping for is...
What would someone who's forefather/foremother have given you up to a outer power but you are trying to avoid it be classed as? Like a "On the dawn of the thirtieth year for every seventh son" deal. Fated? Plain mortal?

Is there rules for Sapien manikins like data from startreck fame? For the storys with low powerd wizards in it. Magical mishaps and Curses.

Red Court infected.

Knight of power.

Hope I have not repeted any posts it's been some time since I read this thread.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:23:21 AM by T.R.C.C. »
Legitimatly earning money for the high cost of not living.
Hobbys include hunting down spelling and grammer mistakes with a dictionary shotgun, but a few slip by.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2009, 01:41:30 AM »
Shot in the dark, but I'd guess you could pull off the servant of an outer power with the Emissary of Power template and the right Aspects. The Aspects should cover you for those things which are able to detect the taint of Outsiders and the like. The Emissary template seems to be mostly, "Choose the Stunts that fit your source of power and concept, "type of deal.

If the book were to give no further support, that's how I'd probably run it.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2009, 05:01:23 AM »
I have a Japanese fox spirit character I use in our homebrew modern supernatural campaign, I'd very much like to port him to the Dresden Files RPG when it comes out. Only problem is, I'm not sure whether fox spirits exist or not in Dresden canon. If not, I guess they'd probably be some variety of Fae, right?

Just out of curiosity, how did you design the fox spirit character for your campaign? I have read several write-ups for fox-spirits in various different RPG systems, such as "GURPS: Japan", Palladium's "Mystic China" and White Wolf's "Land of 10,000 Dreams" (I think) for their old Changeling: the Dreaming line. Each categorizes the creatures in slightly different ways... which probably gives the foxes themselves quite a giggle. I guess it depends on what source material you're using and what powers your particular character has.
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »
The Lycanthrope went up on www.dresdenfilesrpg.com today, for what it's worth. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2009, 07:14:21 PM »
The Lycanthrope went up on www.dresdenfilesrpg.com today, for what it's worth. :)

Great stuff as always!  I didn't realize that lycanthrope powers were tied so explicitly to the lunar cycle.  I'd just assumed that they were that scary all of the time.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
Great stuff as always!  I didn't realize that lycanthrope powers were tied so explicitly to the lunar cycle.  I'd just assumed that they were that scary all of the time.

Marcone says to Parker (it's Parker, right?) something to the effect of "I'm well aware of your particular abilities at this time of the month."
Fred Hicks

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:42 PM »

Like iago said. Plus, part of the fun in "Fool Moon" comes from Jim's research into all the different interpretations of werewolf legends, and figuring out how they might all fit into the Dresdenverse. And part of the fun in the lycanthrope template is how clever players might alter it for their own purposes. For example, I might be interested in playing a Latino character, mostly assimilated into the metropolitan L.A. culture, who discovers that he is descended from a family of pantherothropes (their "totem" for lack of a better word would be jaguars).

IIRC, there may have been a discussion in this site about the difference between the symbolic elements of an animal and their zoologically-verified behaviors; consider that a maned (read: male) lion is a symbol of bravery and hunting prowess, while it's the females of the species who come closer to fulfilling this image. I'd like to see a few discussion threads on this board about how the players incorporate this difference into their games.
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline Douglas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2009, 01:30:06 AM »
The lycanthrope is interesting, but the restriction on their power might be a little odd.  Wouldn't the lycanthrope be picking up Fate chips for every fight that he couldn't use his Inhuman powers in?

At the least, deciding that the full moon is not forthcoming may be worth a compel every time it’s relevant.

Offhand, what kind of Refresh reduction does the basic Lycanthrope package entail?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2009, 03:29:14 PM »
Fred Hicks

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
The lycanthrope is interesting, but the restriction on their power might be a little odd.  Wouldn't the lycanthrope be picking up Fate chips for every fight that he couldn't use his Inhuman powers in?

Quite possibly. :)

Offhand, what kind of Refresh reduction does the basic Lycanthrope package entail?

We're still settling on that. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2009, 06:27:03 PM »
I've noticed a couple of things in various write ups such as the feeding dependency of the Red Court infected. Does something like that reduce the Refresh cost of other powers?

I'm curious if there are other, similar restrictions in the book. I'm asking because I'm wondering what sort of interesting if-then type powers I might be able to make. For example, cursing someone who has broken their sworn oath to you is less powerful -- and theoretically less valuable in game resources -- than simply being able to curse anyone.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2009, 07:07:32 PM »
There are a small handful of "conditional rebates" like the feeding dependency idea, but not many of them.  Most restrictions, when manifest, are built into the powers themselves.
Fred Hicks