Author Topic: number of posts per page  (Read 12121 times)

Offline furiousfrank

• Participant
    • View Profile
number of posts per page
« on: June 23, 2008, 05:29:56 AM »
Is there any way to change the number of posts and topics shown on each page? I've looked through all the settings on my profile and can't find anything.

It would make things a bit easier to read especially in boards like MacAnally's where there are so many stickies that only about eight actual topics show up and threads often extend for 10+ pages.

Offline Cold Revenge

• Posty McPostington
  • The Dude abides, man.
    • View Profile
Re: number of posts per page
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 05:38:46 AM »
Nope.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:59 PM »
We've experimented with a larger number of posts per page, but the amount of bandwidth required crashes the server.  Sorry!

Offline rusty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
This is nonsense, and hugely limits the usability of the forums. Please sort it out.

One work around at least would be to get all the stickies listed under one post, per forum.

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
  • Never been perfect. But neither have you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:52:21 PM »
If the options are the current number of posts per page and the server being up, or more posts and the server crashing all the time...

I'll keep the status quo, thanks.
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight." - Neil Peart

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 04:23:52 PM »
I'm with Katty.  Crashes = bad.  I twitch enough already, thank you.
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Offline rusty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 08:48:42 PM »
There are hundreds of options to explore, such as; Optimizing Stored Procedures, Table index's, Views, Server upgrades, Migrating the forum or Moving host, to name just a few.

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 12:30:23 AM »
All of which take time, which Iago might not have.  I'm personally happy he keeps the forums running as well as they do.  Having to switch pages isn't that much of a burden. 

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 01:32:45 AM »
This is nonsense, and hugely limits the usability of the forums. Please sort it out.

One work around at least would be to get all the stickies listed under one post, per forum.

It does not "hugely limit the usability of the forums" and it is not "nonsense."  This is something we've tinkered with over time, and ten posts per page is the most stable system.  It's not going to change.  Don't talk to us like we're stupid, or like we're neglecting our user base.

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 01:43:08 AM »
I'll bet he's an only child.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 01:56:22 AM »
I for one am intensely interested in how the long time during which I've thoroughly enjoyed the forums (and found them eminently usable) is somehow "nonsense". I strongly suspect the best "sorting-out" indicated would NOT be on the part of the forums used but on that of a particular user - perhaps learning some freaking ADAPTABILITY would sort THAT problem out.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline rusty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »
Shecky, imo its better to fix a problem than work around it because you don't know how. Sounds like your a typical worse is better convert.

Priscellie, this board is for suggestions, the OP made a good one, but you basically ignored him rather than find a fix, this is nonsense.

If you are forced to see 10 stickies each time you visit the first page of a board which only contains 20 posts than that is the very definition of hugely limited usability. I wonder what google analitics has to say about the number of users forced to wade through pages of paging.

Regards

Rusty

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:22:30 AM »
Rusty -

Iago, the OWNER OF THE BOARD has tried other workarounds.  The board was crashing very hour.  At this point, the choices are quite literally post limits per page, or not having a board that works all the time.  I'll take door #2.  This board is free.  Iago doesn't have to do this.  If this works for him, it's fine with me.

YMM (and clearly does) V.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 12:28:42 AM »
Rusty, as soon as I see a problem here, I'll be among the people asking for it to be fixed. Unless you're trying to dig back to the FAR past in a forum, why do you need to "wade through pages"? What is nonsense is "needing" to see umpteen threads per page when, as Priscellie politely said to you (and you called "ignored" and "nonsense"), the most stable system for this board is exactly what you see, not to mention when the rest of us obviously are not quiveringly indignant over this faux "issue". The only "worse" here is the insistence that destabilizing the system is an acceptable side effect in order to save you an extra half second while surfing the boards. FF was actually polite about it, but you're turning it into a Big Deal.

People, you're seeing problems where none exist. "Next Page" works just fine.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline rusty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »
<sigh>

This is my last post on the issue.

I have been polite throughtout the thread, and don't take back any of the points I've made.

I think your looking for a battle, but I'm really not interested.

Rusty