Author Topic: Site activation e-mail problems  (Read 8831 times)

Offline Yakko

• Participant
    • View Profile
Site activation e-mail problems
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:56:11 AM »
I had a heck of a time getting the activation message to come through my e-mail server.  It wasn't being tagged as spam, it was being rejected completely prior to spam checking.

Apparently it didn't like the nobody@vps.jimbutcheronline.com used for the envelope-from address. I think it was the "vps.jimbutcheronline.com" part that caused problems.  That or it didn't like there was no reverse dns ip lookup for the ip address the e-mail comes from.

I finally got my activation through by telling it that "vps.jimbutcheronline.com" was actually a domain running on my own server. A bit of an ugly hack but it worked.

This is the first time in many years of running my own server I had a problem like this so I thought I would give you a heads up. I don't do anything too unusual in my mail server config so there may be other people having the same problem that can't even tell because they don't run their own servers to see the errors.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Site activation e-mail problems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:39:12 PM »
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but it's pretty much impossible for me to address that problem in my experience -- reverse-lookup stuff almost never gets updated by the hosting company (if it's even feasible for them to do so -- sometimes the IP address is shared among multiple sites) even when requested.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Yakko

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »
is there a way to change the sending domain from vps.jimbutcheronline.com to jimbutcheronline.com? That might resolve the problem as well. or is that being assigned by the outbound server automatically. i figured it was in the forum configuration.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:20:55 PM »
is there a way to change the sending domain from vps.jimbutcheronline.com to jimbutcheronline.com? That might resolve the problem as well. or is that being assigned by the outbound server automatically. i figured it was in the forum configuration.
It's being assigned.  The problem is not the "explicit" From address, it's the "Envelope" From, which I can't address.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline MacsNewBrew

• Conversationalist
  • Lurking faithfully since 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:03:22 AM »
Also, I believe comcast is blocking registration and password lookup emails with their spam filters (not that they ever block real spam).
I had to create a gmail account to get back in....
another one of those discussions about Heaven and God and the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Offline dogsoldier

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »
I just experienced the same problem. I changed my email address to use my yahoo account and finally got the email.

Offline Lotsacats

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • JG's Fiction Archive
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:44:23 AM »
I was also unable to register under my two most-used email addresses at AOL. Never got the activation message, though I tried multiple times over several days to have it re-sent. It never appeared in either New Mail or the spam bin. Does the Butcher forum hate AOL, or does AOL hate the Jim Butcher forum?
???
Probably the latter. We don't call it AO-hell for nothin'...

I finally had to change to an AT&T email address (one I never use otherwise) to get here. *That* activation message went through immediately.  {{Shrug.}}