Author Topic: USA's Orphan Works bill  (Read 5167 times)

Offline Adam

• Conversationalist
  • Accidental human
    • View Profile
    • My blog
USA's Orphan Works bill
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:48:51 AM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:56:21 AM by Adam »
"Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war." - Jesus Christ.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: USA's Orphan Works bill
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 01:33:48 AM »
I don't think it's going to have much effect on writers who make books and magazine articles. If there's a physical copy, it's usually easy to show publication date and copyright holder. What it's mostly going to affect is stuff distributed in electronic format, particularly stuff posted or distributed anonymously, including photographs, music, weblog entries, and things like Wiki articles that are collaborative. After stuff has been around the world on the Internet a few times, maybe translated, retranslated, cut, pasted, spell corrected and edited, it can be tough to tell where it originally came from.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: USA's Orphan Works bill
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 01:57:25 AM »
Thread about this in Touchy Topics from when it was being talked about a couple months ago.  http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,6978.0.html
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury