Author Topic: Technical reason for waiting  (Read 7964 times)

Offline gemstone

• Conversationalist
  • photo ©2008 gemstone
    • View Profile
Technical reason for waiting
« on: May 30, 2008, 02:52:59 PM »
until 100 posts before someone can choose their own avatar?  If this has been asked previously I apologize, 8 pages is a lot of reading.  I ask because so many posters end up using the same avatar that it is occasionally confusing. :-[
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
Re: Technical reason for waiting
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »
I really can't answer for the Mods, but *I* always thought it was because this board gets a lot of interest. We have over 6100 members. Lots of people sign up, post a few times, then they're off to other shiny places, say 10% for example purposes. If all of those 6100 could upload their own avatar from the word go... even 10% of that is an AWFUL LOT of server space wasted on people who are never heard from again.

By the time a person has made 100 posts, they're sufficiently addicted to earn a little space on the server.  ;)

But of course, that's just my thoughts and may bear no resemblence to reality (as usual)
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline gemstone

• Conversationalist
  • photo ©2008 gemstone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »
I think you are probably right.  Why I thought it might be some technical reason for it. But I have a "satiable curiosity"
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 01:55:34 PM »
Beyond any technical reasons, there's also the social: This is a participatory culture we have here.  We want people talking and interacting, and it takes a little while to stand out from the crowd when you do.  So the avatar policy follows that path as well.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

comprex

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »
Hmm.  Interesting.  Assuming sufficiently unique posts (and posting style) to be recognised in spite of avatar or screen name changes, aren't those just fancy emoticons?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:29:24 PM »
Hmm.  Interesting.  Assuming sufficiently unique posts (and posting style) to be recognised in spite of avatar or screen name changes, aren't those just fancy emoticons?

I barely understand the question, I'm afraid.  ???
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

comprex

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:57:22 PM »
I barely understand the question, I'm afraid.  ???

The people who post most also change avatars and display names most; we mostly recognise them by context and style.   New joiners by definition do not have known context and style, is it not to them that avatars are most useful identifiers?