Author Topic: System confusion  (Read 11801 times)

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
System confusion
« on: May 30, 2008, 11:37:48 AM »
I am really, really looking forward to this game.  However, I'm a FUDGE/FATE newbie (the only FUDGE product I own is "The Collectors").  I understand that FATE is an adaptation of FUDGE.  But will I need separate FUDGE rules to play, or is the Dresden Files RPG a complete game in itself?  In other words, when I buy Dresden, will I also need to buy the FUDGE basic rulebook from Grey Ghost?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: System confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 12:16:35 PM »
Oh my god I LOVE The Collectors.

The Dresden Files RPG will be a complete game.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:05:50 PM »
Thanks for clearing up my confusion, Iago.

The only problem with The Collectors is that there's not enough of it.  I want White Wolf-style piles of sourcebooks, dangit!  OK, maybe not piles, but I wish there was more support material.  Is Thomas Mackay still active in FUDGE circles?  Poke him until he writes more.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:10:06 PM by ludomaniac »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »
Thanks for clearing up my confusion, Iago.

The only problem with The Collectors is that there's not enough of it.  I want White Wolf-style piles of sourcebooks, dangit!  OK, maybe not piles, but I wish there was more support material.  Is Thomas Mackay still active in FUDGE circles?  Poke him until he writes more.

Not sure.  I should track him down again.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »
I'm a FUDGE/FATE newbie ... will I need separate FUDGE rules to play, or is the Dresden Files RPG a complete game in itself?  In other words, when I buy Dresden, will I also need to buy the FUDGE basic rulebook from Grey Ghost?
While DFRPG is a complete game, you can get a better feel for the philosophy for the game by looking at FATE (free download) or Spirit of the Century (a "pulp" RPG from the same company as DFRPG, using a similar system).

Since you termed yourself a "FUDGE/FATE newbie" I would highly suggest you check out this stuff in advance to get a better feel for the game system. FATE isn't quite like other RPGs in that it's more loose than most rules systems. While there are many options, there aren't as many rules as some games and it may take a while for you to get it figured out. Once you do, however, the options are excellent!
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
Thanks for your excellent advice, Finarvyn.  I'll download the FATE rules and take a look.

I've heard nothing but good about SOTC as well, but never checked it out (20s/30s pulp doesn't appeal to me as a genre for roleplaying, though I like pulp novels and movies).

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
Note, the Fate version for download is "2.0", while SOTC is "3.0", so there are some significant changes between 'em.  Still, some of the conceptual grounding is the same.
Fred Hicks

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 11:09:50 PM »
I've heard nothing but good about SOTC as well, but never checked it out (20s/30s pulp doesn't appeal to me as a genre for roleplaying, though I like pulp novels and movies).

You might want to take a look at the SotC SRD. It's quite worthwhile, even if you're not interested in pulp. You can find it here:

http://zork.net/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html

It's all the rules from Spirit of the Century, although it's missing all the cool examples from the actual book. From comments on threads over at RPG.net, the version of Fate used for Dresden is going to be quite similar to the one used in SotC.

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
I've been checking out the SotC SRD for a couple of days and I'll say this, if it's any indication of how the Dresden Files RPG will go or how well it's written you've far and away sold me on it already. 

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »
I've been checking out the SotC SRD for a couple of days and I'll say this, if it's any indication of how the Dresden Files RPG will go or how well it's written you've far and away sold me on it already. 

I sure hope it's an indication of how the game will go and how well it's written! :)
Fred Hicks

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 02:15:44 PM »
I sure hope it's an indication of how the game will go and how well it's written! :)
Fred is unwilling to brag, so I'll do it for him. Based on the playtest files I've seen so far, DFRPG will be at least as well done as SotC (and I think actually better).
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »
I'll second that.  It is my opinion the game will rock on toast.  I just wish Evil Hat et al had the resources to get it done faster. *sigh*
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 07:26:30 PM »
I just wish Evil Hat et al had the resources to get it done faster. *sigh*

No kidding. I just ran my first session of Fate (a hacked version based on SotC) this past Friday. Let's just say that all of my game mechanic problems with Exalted just went away.

SotC's great, don't get me wrong. But I'm a fan of fantasy games. I cannot wait to see how DF RPG turns out.

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »
You might want to take a look at the SotC SRD. It's quite worthwhile, even if you're not interested in pulp. You can find it here:

http://zork.net/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html

Is it just me, or is the formatting there really... weird?

It's OGL, right?  So I could put it up somewhere in a more clean format?
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 08:51:03 PM »
Yeah, the formatting is a little weird. I think that someone has already put the SRD onto a PDF. I'm not sure, because I just went out and bought the thing. Definitely worth it.