Author Topic: Star Trek Fan Fiction can pay off!  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
  • Uh...what was the question?
    • View Profile
    • Author Paige Cuccaro~ Alison Paige
Star Trek Fan Fiction can pay off!
« on: September 07, 2006, 06:56:26 PM »
With so many topics about Fan Fiction I figured there'd be several people on these boards who'd be interested in the following information...

Are you a fan of Star Trek? Have you always wanted to write a Star Trek
novel? Simon and Schuster publishes the very successful line of Star Trek
fiction. They're looking for 400-page manuscripts featuring Star Trek characters
from The Original Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space
Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, or Star Trek: Enterprise. Detailed submission
guidelines are available at
(http://www.simonsays.com/content/feature.cfm?sid=44&feature_id=439) or (http://tinyurl.com/mvlgy)
The guidelines are a bit confusing, in that at one point they state the publisher only
accepts agented submissions, then later go on to give detailed information for
submitting your first three chapters and synopsis. And the FAQ section
specifically says that previously published unagented authors may submit the first
three chapters and synopsis. So if you have a great story, I say submit it
per their guidelines even if you don't have an agent. You won't own copyright
to the work, but my understanding is that these books pay very well and
writing one of them is a good credit on your resume.

This info is from a legitimate writing source.

Offline Antimatter Girl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Fan Fiction can pay off!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 08:07:19 PM »
Hrm...is this some new campaign they're on to get new blood in their author pool, or is this the same old drill they usually have? ;)  'Cause if it's new, I know someone who would probably like a look at this, if he doesn't know about it already.

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
  • Uh...what was the question?
    • View Profile
    • Author Paige Cuccaro~ Alison Paige
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 09:13:30 PM »
Hrm...is this some new campaign they're on to get new blood in their author pool, or is this the same old drill they usually have? ;)  'Cause if it's new, I know someone who would probably like a look at this, if he doesn't know about it already.

I didn't know there was an "old drill". This is the first I've heard of them actually putting out a call. I got the info from a newsletter for writers. It can't hurt to check it out if one's interested. I don't know if not getting "copyrights" is any indication of what you mean, but they are paying, and well....money's money. Plus the sale would look good on a writing resume.

Offline Antimatter Girl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 10:52:43 PM »

I didn't know there was an "old drill". This is the first I've heard of them actually putting out a call. I got the info from a newsletter for writers. It can't hurt to check it out if one's interested. I don't know if not getting "copyrights" is any indication of what you mean, but they are paying, and well....money's money. Plus the sale would look good on a writing resume.

Eh, I'm assuming there's an "old drill" because my friend has been looking to break into that biz for a while. He even won the Strange New Worlds short story contest for their third year. Anyway, if you're getting advertisements for it in a writers newsletter, it sounds like they're being a little more active than I gather they usually are. I'll go ahead and give my friend the link ^.^

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:42:52 PM »
I don't want to step on anyone here, but I will point out that this same submissions policy has been in place for a long time.

Let's face it, Star Trek fans have a long history of being prolific writers.  Some write exceptionally good material, some terrible!  Hell, some of the terrible ones have even made it into print ("Rogue Saucer" comes to mind).

Perhaps Pocket Books is having a major "push" on right now.  Still, I figured that they put these guidelines up to keep down the mulitude of "I want to write a Star Trek novel...what do I do?" letters.

Either way, Star Trek has seen a number of authors break into print...it could be worth investigating.

Keith

Offline Antimatter Girl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 02:20:45 AM »
I don't want to step on anyone here, but I will point out that this same submissions policy has been in place for a long time.

Yeah, this is why I'm wondering if this is same old drill for them or some new campaign for fresh meat ;)