Author Topic: Tips for the Unmotivated  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for the Unmotivated
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
A friend of mine highly advocates the use of notebooks. Get the jist of the new story down and go back to it later. Don't let yourself lose focus on what you're halfway through.

Trust me, I know from experience and stacks of unfinished stories.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Adam

• Conversationalist
  • Accidental human
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
Working through the sluggish middle section now.  Pushing through the lack of motivation due to just wanting to get to the end.  And I find that as I just keep pushing ahead, sometimes my brain helps out and produces some groovy stuff.  Like I'm typing away, paragraph by paragraph, and then I'll read what I just typed and think "Yeah, that's a good idea and fits well".  My brain springs these little surprrises on me.  it's like my brain has this big meaningful plot all worked out ahead of time, and only lets me know about it a ltitle piece at a time as I go along.  Stupid secretive brain.
"Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war." - Jesus Christ.

Offline Adam

• Conversationalist
  • Accidental human
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 07:46:13 PM »
My protagonist was just disembowelled.  Mwahahahaha!  There's some motivation to keep writing, to see where it leads.  :)
"Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war." - Jesus Christ.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 08:02:26 PM »
Working through the sluggish middle section now.  Pushing through the lack of motivation due to just wanting to get to the end.  And I find that as I just keep pushing ahead, sometimes my brain helps out and produces some groovy stuff.  Like I'm typing away, paragraph by paragraph, and then I'll read what I just typed and think "Yeah, that's a good idea and fits well".  My brain springs these little surprrises on me.  it's like my brain has this big meaningful plot all worked out ahead of time, and only lets me know about it a ltitle piece at a time as I go along.  Stupid secretive brain.

Mine does that too, all the time.  Which can be a bit irksome, really, because I get to where I thought I was ready to start tying things up into the end, and I have half a dozen extra things I'd not realised I was going to need to resolve by that point.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline SailorYue

• Posty McPostington
  • I have a strange power, tied in with ESP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 08:19:19 PM »
theres nothing more satisfying than satisfied readers.

[i know this for afact, i LOVE getting good fanfic reviews.]
just call me SailorYue from NewJersey
[it's pronounced U-ay]
aproximatly...

-----
avatar image found on Sherrilyn Kenyon's site.
it's Acheron's avatar, THE COOLEST, SCARIEST GOD ever.
--------------
Friendship and Laughter are the best medicine against depression =)