Author Topic: Editing tip? Ever heard of this? It works!  (Read 5321 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Editing tip? Ever heard of this? It works!
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »
My mother is an artist who works with oils.  For years I would visit her and on her eisel would be her last work--usually if I was catching her towards the end of the painting, she puts it on there upside down.  When queried, she replied, "You see things you wouldn't otherwise."  I fear I tended to shake my head and think she was losing it.

Then I tried the same technique while I was editing.  I took the six pages I wanted as perfect as possible and for some reason, I started with the last paragraph and worked backwards through it.  Hey, don't laugh it worked and it was easy!

Anyone else tried that?  Or wants to try it now and tell me how it worked out? 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
Re: Editing tip? Ever heard of this? It works!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »
Details... Sentence by sentence or paragraph by paragraph? And were you looking for grammar and punctuation or readability?

*is interested*
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:58:37 PM »
everything.  I wanted to sharpen the focus, remove floxum, correct grammar, re-organize.  It was all a lot easier to see working backwards.  I worked paragraph by paragraph. 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Pinky Narfanek

• Conversationalist
  • The truth is a three edged narf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »
It jumbles the expectations.  Since you don't have the framework of the preceding information, you're better able to focus on the bit in front of you.

I use that trick when checking paragraphs for spelling (at work--unfortunately y'all are left with my actual capabilities in my off hours).  I read the sentence backwards.  It allows you to see the actual word and not what you're expecting to see.
I think so, Brain, but burlap chafes me so...

Offline Hasufin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:31:20 AM »
I was taught that trick back in art classes. I've never consciously done it in my actual work, but I do usually start my editing from the bottom since that's where I am when I'm ready to edit.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 03:23:42 PM »
There are some things it's fine for, definitely.

Thing is, most of what I need to catch on my second passes is continuity stuff, particularly of when information comes in and how it changes things and what people know.  Doing that in reverse order would be like unscrambling an egg.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline kingaling

• Conversationalist
  • THE VOICES ARENT REAL, but have some good ideas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:32:05 PM »
Yup, that's how I do it. Reverse Engineering, it's called. Thank you Aristotle. you saved me a lot of headaches. I suggest googling reverse engineering plots, if anyone's interested.
Son of Blampira and father to the vampire in her sig.

"It's good to be King." - Mel Brooks

"I have an idea! An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

MatthewD44

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:34:29 PM »
I use that for drawing all the time. It makes it easier for me just to see the curves and lines when I am doing a portrait