Author Topic: Mortal, Apprentice, Wizard  (Read 66774 times)

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
Re: Mortal, Apprentice, Wizard
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 12:31:53 PM »
Thanks, Fred for clearing that up for me! I thought I was just retarded and couldn't find it.  I am forum-challenged, I don't belong to any, so I am just clueless.  :'(

We all gotta start somewhere. :) You're among friends, don't sweat it. If you never ask, you'll never know.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline deathdeeIer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 10:22:19 PM »
how do you become a warden

Offline OzwaldEMandius

• Participant
  • Rheeding is phundementil
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 12:09:20 AM »
Isn't SPAM wonderful (sarcasam)!!!!   heh, fortunately at the board I'm at now that isn't a really big problem.  My board is only a little over a year old and we also only have a bout a dozen fully regular members.  But every now and again you just get that one who is a bit obsessive with post counts, ranks, karma rating, etc....    Hopefully that won't become an issue here but you never know...  Here is part of the SPAM guideline that I have posted on my board for people who don't know what SPAM is:

SPAM Guide
SPAM: Stupid, pointless, annoying messages. SPAM can be in many formats:

1. The one-liner: "Yeah, I totally agree!"
2. Excess use of puncuation/smilies: "Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" "Say what? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?" or   ;) :) :D :-[ :-* :-* :'( :-[ ::) :( 8) :o
3. The irrelevant post: For instance, say the thread is about any given Movie, and you post with, "My cousin's sister's mother's brother's father's friend's aunt had a friend in said movie."
4. The double-post: Posting twice in a row, without good reason.
5. The double-topic: Posting a thread on something that already has a thread. For instance, the whole "favorite baby names" and "what would you name your kids".
6. The impatient post: For those of you who have ants in your pants, and can't wait for your requests to be finished, and so you decide to post in the design thread with "IS MY BANNER DONE YET?!?!? HOW LONG WILL IT BE?!?!"
7. The reviewless review: "I loved the movie!" - This is NOT a review, people.
8. The questionless questions: When you post in Meet the Staff forum- you need to post questions, NOT things like "Hey you're from Virginia like me, that's so cool!"
9. The caps lock posts: IT'S ACTUALLY CONSIDERED TO BE SHOUTING WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS, AND IT'S PRETTY RUDE TO SHOUT AT PEOPLE, DON'T YOU THINK?
10. The I-Know-I'm-Not-Supposed-To-Reply post: This happens especially in the polls for schemes and such - I even TELL you guys NOT to post in them, unless you chose "other" as an option, and therefore you have to reply. But a lot of times, people reply anyway.

1) Does "we share a brain" posts count as spam?
3) What does that make him to me? Absolutely NOTHING!
4) almost always accidental
9) ARCHIE!  ARCHIE! HEY, ARCHIE! (sorry it made me think of Edith)

You forgot people like me who are between books, between classes, out of Tivo to watch and don't want to go to bed because their fiancee is sleeping already and snores something fierce so they have to be in a near coma before approaching bed.

I think it is cool, but it is not why I post here.

Besides, I'm thinking that the Merlin in the DF books is not necessarily 100% on the up-and-up, so I'm not sure if I'd want to be the Merlin.

Yeah, I think you need to leave that one as Site Administrator.  If someone told me I resembled that guy I'd be grumpy.
Vaya con Dios, Bob.  May you have been in Heaven for an hour before the Devil knew ya left us.

Offline Ellie Mae

• Participant
  • You know where to find me
    • View Profile
    • Empire of the Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 10:56:29 PM »
Well you can always turn off the post count in some off topic areas if you worry about people posting rubbish to increase post count, or set a minimum word/character limit, or stick to the default post limits set by this software.

But some people do pay a lot of attention to their post count, and any of the above measures might be unpopular.  On some other boards it really is encouraged to post more even if you have nothing to say lol  Some boards even start up clubs for postwhores, but really why would you bother?  Nobody really wants to scroll through pages of meaningless posts to get to the good stuff lol

btw Senior council sounds very cool  :)

You're a Wizard Harry!

~ Books ~ Writing ~ Art ~

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 01:42:45 AM »
Why is the count a distinction. If a person uses SPAM and coy tricks to up their count, what kind of distinction is that? I would much rather see interesting, topical discussion without the distraction of obsessive post counters.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:44:37 AM by BigMama »
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline Kalium

• Conversationalist
  • Order of the Slightly Dented Denarius
    • View Profile
    • AnimeMusicVides.org
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 05:21:53 PM »
Just to make a point, there are currently two users who have attainted Wizard status. Both today.
This is not a .sig. It is a cabbage.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 05:38:26 PM »
Just to make a point, there are currently two users who have attainted Wizard status. Both today.

Holy cow!  One of them is me!  Uh, I kind of need to shut up a bit, yes?  :D  Which I'm not doing by posting this message.  Gah!  *falls over*

Offline Kalium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • AnimeMusicVides.org
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 05:40:35 PM »

Holy cow!  One of them is me!  Uh, I kind of need to shut up a bit, yes?  :D  Which I'm not doing by posting this message.  Gah!  *falls over*

The other one being, obviously, me. Oh, and just because I can, I was first. Ha!

Offline neminem

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 07:48:17 PM »

The other one being, obviously, me. Oh, and just because I can, I was first. Ha!

I clearly don't post enough. Then again, I have over 10,000 posts at OCR, I clearly spend enough time on the internet already :D.

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 08:00:21 PM »
Do either of you feel any wiser than you did 24 hours ago?  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 08:39:35 PM by BigMama »

Offline Kalium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • AnimeMusicVides.org
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 08:12:19 PM »
Do eother of you feel any wiser than you did 24 hours ago?  :)

Sorry, but I can't answer that. Union rules.

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 08:42:45 PM »
I just noticed I'm there also. Ironic.  ::)

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 02:53:01 PM »
Just my 2c, but I agree with not making any sort of 'l33t' ranks above Wizard.  I don't really get the point of it, and think the mindset that there must be 'ranks' to attain is a bit strange.  :)

We're here to post about Jim's books, not have some sort of posting contest or attain some strange forum cred.

My 2c...

-Belmonte
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
  • I for one welcome my new Feline Overlords…
    • View Profile
    • User:Phil Boswell @ Wikipedia
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »
Well, I can always adjust the number of posts per level, or add more. I'm not expecting to attach a lot of meaning to 'em.
I don't see the big deal about rising in the ranks either, but unfortunately some people do. The biggest problem, I've found, is people making loads of nuisance posts -- one liners, smiley only, or nattering on about things that add nothing to the topic being discussed -- to see the title change under their name.
I assume that the existence of the "report to moderator" link implies that it's possible to remove nuisance posts, in which case the question would become: does your total get decremented if one of your posts gets nuked?

HTH HAND
Phil

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »

You forgot people like me who are between books, between classes, out of Tivo to watch and don't want to go to bed because their fiancee is sleeping already and snores something fierce so they have to be in a near coma before approaching bed.

Cpap machines are your friend....
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick