Author Topic: For Christian readers or any interested...  (Read 12994 times)

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
For Christian readers or any interested...
« on: May 01, 2008, 07:59:09 PM »
Would any of you enjoy reading a "dresden-esque" novel with heavy christian undertones? I feel that we christian readers don't have books that could be classified as "action/fantasy" usually. (Most christians are discouraged from reading books with wizards and witches..lol). Anyway, give me some opinions, some feed back . Thanks a lot, have a great day! ;D
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12

Offline Bob

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Knight
    • View Profile
Re: For Christian readers or any interested...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 09:06:57 PM »
Not sure that it would be commercially viable, even if you could find someone sufficiently skilled to not let the religious message dictate the plot and characterizations.  Now if Jim ever decided to write a novel about the Knights....
Solve a man's problem with violence, help him for a day.  Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:13:01 PM »
I'm actually writing the book, I'm not really looking to make any money off of it really, just a hobby and I have a lot ideas. I've got several chapters down already, just wondering if a thing like that would interest any christian readers who are into more "fantasy" based stories.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12

Offline Sorryman105

• Posty McPostington
  • Come into the dungeon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »
How do you define heavy Christian undertones?
Forevermore we shall giggle and snicker in our rightful place, this place, OUR BAR!

Hoodooed

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:18:30 PM »
Would any of you enjoy reading a "dresden-esque" novel with heavy christian undertones? I feel that we christian readers don't have books that could be classified as "action/fantasy" usually. (Most christians are discouraged from reading books with wizards and witches..lol). Anyway, give me some opinions, some feed back . Thanks a lot, have a great day! ;D

Yes, I could enjoy such a novel. But you'd be treading dangerous ground and at risk for all kinds of pain due to the sensitive nature of fiddling with peoples heart felt beliefs. The Chronicles of Narnia succeeded though. Contrary to another poster, the religious message should help dictate plot and characterization or you are wasting the chance to appeal to Christian readers.

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:33:06 PM »
How do you define heavy Christian undertones?

I'm saying like a person (much like Michael) are using their faith instead of magic to do things. ex. throw fire, teleport, yada yada, etc. lol. The story would lean heavily toward the age-old Good vs. Evil storylines. The only thing different would be more angels, demons, biblical references. I kno this might not appeal to all religions, but I promise it would in no way openly make fun of any other religion.

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
Yes, I could enjoy such a novel. But you'd be treading dangerous ground and at risk for all kinds of pain due to the sensitive nature of fiddling with peoples heart felt beliefs. The Chronicles of Narnia succeeded though. Contrary to another poster, the religious message should help dictate plot and characterization or you are wasting the chance to appeal to Christian readers.

The plan would be to have an introduction that strictly emphasizes that this is Christian FICTION/FANTASY. lol, that none of it would go so far as to change anything the Word says or create any new doctrine..lol, that would be bad..lol

Offline Bob

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
I'm saying like a person (much like Michael) are using their faith instead of magic to do things. ex. throw fire, teleport, yada yada, etc. lol. The story would lean heavily toward the age-old Good vs. Evil storylines. The only thing different would be more angels, demons, biblical references. I kno this might not appeal to all religions, but I promise it would in no way openly make fun of any other religion.

Kinda goes against the Christian doctrine that we are all miserable sinners and all power comes from God, doesn't it?  Unless you have your protagonist getting his/her power from God, I'm pretty sure that's some form of heresy.  And if you are, where's the suspense if you can just cal on God for sufficient power to accomplish your task?
Solve a man's problem with violence, help him for a day.  Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »
lol, no heresy the ppl are getting the power from God, but like harry they can't just blast a hole in the earth, they have limits just like anybody else. Like you said, image an entire book about the knights of the cross, except,...lol, jim butcher isn't writing it....lol :D

Offline The Wolf formerly known as Shadow

• Conversationalist
  • Knight of the Black Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »
Um, I don't know if I've ever mentioned this but I am a Christian, a very deeply faithful and born-again Christian. That having been said, I've read more than 300 Action/Fantasy novels in the last eight years (since I got the first one for my 12th birthday) and I honestly see no problem with it. Despite what anyone says, Harry Potter isn't gonna send kids to hell, nor is Dresden or any other story. Also, so long as the reader as an ounce of sense, no one is gonna think that these stories are real. They're make believe. Fun, distracting, even enthralling make believe, as well as my favorite form of entertainment. But that doesn't make dangerous, unless you spend a week reading without sleep and your heart bursts or something. Honestly, what sane person has a problem with a Fantasy Novel, especially a well written one?

STOP! Grammar Time!!! *gets funky, 1980s style*

Hoodooed

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 09:53:36 PM »
Honestly, what sane person has a problem with a Fantasy Novel, especially a well written one?

I honestly hope you never have to find out.

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »
Um, I don't know if I've ever mentioned this but I am a Christian, a very deeply faithful and born-again Christian. That having been said, I've read more than 300 Action/Fantasy novels in the last eight years (since I got the first one for my 12th birthday) and I honestly see no problem with it. Despite what anyone says, Harry Potter isn't gonna send kids to hell, nor is Dresden or any other story. Also, so long as the reader as an ounce of sense, no one is gonna think that these stories are real. They're make believe. Fun, distracting, even enthralling make believe, as well as my favorite form of entertainment. But that doesn't make dangerous, unless you spend a week reading without sleep and your heart bursts or something. Honestly, what sane person has a problem with a Fantasy Novel, especially a well written one?

thanks, for the comment! could you recommend some titles? I'm getting in deep with this book and I would like to stretch out and get some more ideas. I didn't mean to make you think I say you will go to hell for reading harry potter..lol, that preposterous. I've read all the potter series and dresden, it's just that some christian audiences don't take to a "magic" book as they would a "faith" book. Thanks for the comment, though, open minded people are hard to find nowadays..lol.

The Mrs Geek

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Honestly, what sane person has a problem with a Fantasy Novel, especially a well written one?

You should see the looks I got from people at the church I go to here when I said I'd read Harry Potter.  There is no sane reason why they have a problem with fantasy, science fiction, witches, wizards, dragons and the like.  I was raised in a Christian home and am still very much a Christian now.  Sci-Fi and Fantasy are my favortie genres and I'm with you, neither is going to corrupt little children and send them to hell.  Who hasn't imagined that they had some kind of speical power?

Malakai Jones...I think you have a good idea.  I just PLEAD with you to keep the characters real.  I can't count the number of "Christian Fiction" books I've tried to pick up and found the characters so unbelievable that I couldn't bear to read it.  So many of them had characters that were too rightous and too perfect. 

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 10:18:55 PM »
well, since I don't feel the fear of idea phishing...lol, here's a small summary, a college kid, who was raised a christian is given the job to be a "squire" for one of the archangels, much like in the dresdenverse, things go south pretty soon. the kid and his roommate have to battle evil in an "unseen" battle of good and evil that the average world is all but oblivious to. Deaths occur, love is found, and a couple of demons a sizzled by bolts of electrity. lol, just a good romp with heroes that are working for a "higher" power, not that they themselves are any better than the rest. In fact, in many instances, their is a battle in one of the main characters about some "sinful" activities...lol. so, I'm trying to keep it,......fun,....i guess i'd have to say. I'm trying my best not to have one big copy of the bible..lol.

TheUnknown000

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »
I'm not Christian...but it sounds like a good idea. It doesn't make fun of or insult other religious beliefs. And it's a fantasy story that sounds fun so go for it.