Author Topic: writing habits of Dresdenarians  (Read 10963 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
writing habits of Dresdenarians
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
Inquiring minds want to know!  Do you:
-Use a computer, old-fashioned typewriter, or pen and paper?
-Set aside a time every day to write?
-Force yourself to write something every day, even if it comes out stilted?
-Have an outline, or just start with an idea?  If an outline, how detailed is it?
-Have a room or area specifically for writing?
-Play Queen or Queensryche to shut out the world, or do you need complete silence?
-Start with plot, or with characters?
-Edit and re-write as you go, or when come to the end?
-Show your rough draft to others, or re-write first?
-Struggle most with dialogue, exposition, action scenes, or bridge scenes?
-Talk about what you are writing to others?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline purenightshade

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: writing habits of Dresdenarians
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 02:18:01 PM »
1. Depends. If at home, the computer is used. If elsewhere, pen and paper are used.
2. I try to set aside time every day to write at least something.
3. I do force at least a couple paragraphs to a page out. If I get more, that's great.
4. Part outline, part general idea. I know where I'm going but I'm also letting the characters flow as they will. They have some set things that I'm guiding them towards but mostly they roam free. I do have some things that are completely outlined, though.
5. I have an entire corner of the basement that is mine. I write there as it contains both my computer and my binder of hand written stuff.
6. I play very loud music while I write as sometimes the music inspires things.
7. Sometimes I start with characters and sometimes I start with plots. I write a lot...
8. I constantly edit and re-write and 'tweak'.
9. I show my rough drafts to a few people.
10. It really depends on what I'm writing, but in general I find battle scenes the hardest to write.
11. Constantly. My big complaint right now (ha!) is that a novel that has gone from 99, 267 words has exploded up to over 105,000 over the course of one rewrite. And that's with deleting large sections of text. Tells you how much I've been adding in to fill the gaps...

Offline SailorYue

• Posty McPostington
  • I have a strange power, tied in with ESP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:29:11 PM »
ive never written anything original really, so ill list how i do fanfics

1 i use a computer. when i use pen and papaer, thats where they'll stay. unpublished cuz im thru with the story.
2 i usually write when the urge gets me. sometimes its just when i have time, but i have to WANT to write, otherwise im like that avatar i see "i didnt get any writing done, but i won 7 /245 games of solitaire" ;P
3 see above: if i try to force myself, the writing will suck and ill have to go back and fix it.
4 usually i plan it in my head, then write as it cmes, but my most recent idea is a song fic, and i outlined it, each part to each verse. so i dont forget.... i dont want to screw this one up.
5 i cant have any distractions, so i write away from tv and mst music.
6 i dont have my own writing space,
7 the story hits me first. i could be doing something else, and then an idea starts to grow and blossom.
8 i usually edit as i go. sometms i do it at the nd, so its a toss up.
9 only occasionally i use betas.
10 i would guess fight scenes and action scenes. tho ive never written more than a one-shot peice. (i DO have 2 novelete fics.... tho i forgot how hard they wre to write, i wrote them over 6 years ago)
11 sometimes to my online pals, especially if theyre in the same fandom.... i dont have anyone to talk to about my song fic, cuz only the people hear know the fandom ;)
aproximatly...

-----
avatar image found on Sherrilyn Kenyon's site.
it's Acheron's avatar, THE COOLEST, SCARIEST GOD ever.
--------------
Friendship and Laughter are the best medicine against depression =)

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:49:30 AM »

Computer, but I need at one point I need a hard copy to find review and revise what I've written. Also, I keep notes on paper (because ideas usually come when the computer is off.)

Yes -- unless I am giving myself a day off.

Nope. If my muse is on French leave, I can't write complete sentences. But I try to get some ideas down for the next scene.

-Have an outline, or just start with an idea?  If an outline, how detailed is it?

I don't have an outline.

More of an alcove.

-Play Queen or Queensryche to shut out the world, or do you need complete silence?

Depends on my mood. Music helps when I am having trouble sitting still but want to get up every five minutes for some trivial thing or other.

For my current novel-in-progress, it was characters. For my next (if there is a next) I have an idea for the overall plot, but the next step would be to develop the characters and then just start writing and see where they take me.

Both. I revise after each scene, chapter, part, and each finished draft. So far I haven't seen the end. The end will be when I stop revising.

I showed my first draft to my sister and a good friend and received valuable comments. Later, I workshopped the first 250 or so pages at OWW.

Exposition (who doesn't?) and action scenes. Right now I have a problem with the late middle. There's not enough action because the antagonist is "indisposed" and can't move against the hero just yet. So I have to find a way to include a battle between his minions and the good guys to keep the story moving.

All the time, but only to family, close friends, and my reviewing partner.
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
Do you:

Laptop computer, but I take longhand notes.
I try to get in 2-3 hours every day, unless I have specific plans that prevent me from doing so.
Sometimes the muse just doesn't show up, and I try to get the ideas written any old way.  I can always go back and fix it later.
I have a detailed outline of every chapter.  I don't quite French scene everything, but I come close.
My bed, with an adjustable laptop table.
I need total silence (earplugs help) but certain songs have provided inspiration.
Usually I start with the characters, or a very general idea.
I edit and re-write constantly - more than I ought to, really, as it slows down the whole process.  I tend to get bogged down by minor details when I ought just to get on with it.
I never show anything to anyone unless I feel it is finished to my satisfaction.  That goes for any creative project, not just writing.
-Struggle most with dialogue, exposition, action scenes, or bridge scenes?Dialogue and bridge scenes.
Hardly at all, except in the most general terms.  It sounds silly, but I guess I'm afraid I'll "jinx" the project if I talk about it to anyone.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »

A laptop; I sit in front of a computer all day at work, so I want one I can lie in bed with while I write.

Nope. I have a full-time job, a family, a Civ addiction and a complicated life to maintain, and I do not think writing every day fits my pattern. 

I write every week, on Friday evening 80% of the time.  I usually get at least a couple of thousand words written every Friday.  That, consistently, gets a novel's worth written every year, more or less.  "Write every day" is mostly useful advice only for people who procrastinate from writing; I don't.

Depends entirely on the story.  I usually get some key scenes before anything else; I usually have some notion of how to get between them; when writing, I have notes file with everything I have thought of that needs to go in, and a plan file with what goes in each chapter, but the plan file is updated after the chapters get written.

Having a study of my own helps, though it also gets used for sleeping in sometimes - master bedroom in my apartment is shared with someone who cannot sleep with it too hot and needs windows open a lot of the time, and I cannot sleep with it too noisy and need windows shut almost all the time, so the compromise is I sleep in my study when it's hot.

I play music to write, but not to revise.

Depends on the story; usually a bit of both.

If I notice a drastic problem as I am going along, I will fix; if I need to check continuity, or put clues in chapter 4 for something I have just realised I want to do in chapter 16, I fix as I go. But mostly I finish, let it sit for a bit, give it another pass with corrections, and then send it to readers.

Oh, I also usually give whatever I wrote last week a quick through pass before starting to write this week.

The scenes that give me most trouble don't break down by this kind of category.

To a few specific others.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »
Inquiring minds want to know!  Do you:

laptop
yes but I have 24 hour or longer weekend marathons if I'm in the flow.
yes, part of the definition, isn't it?
-Have an outline, or just start with an idea?   If an outline, how detailed is it?
I bought a poster board this AM for my first plot arch that JB recommended with a zillion post it notes.  Usually I have the outline in my head plus three to four minor story archs and several characters already fleshed out, an intro and conclusion before I start writing.
-Have a room or area specifically for writing?   Nope--anywhere, anytime.  Have laptop, will travel.  Hotel rooms are great.
No complete silence--celtic music, sci fi CD, even old tv DVDs.  The zone can be stroked externally by any foder as long as I don't have to pay attention to it and it keeps me company.
characters plus extensive backgrounds
re-read writing from the day before and edit---then proceed to writing as soon as I'm flowing well.
35 years--no one read any of my stuff.  Family didn't value writing and those that do--aren't big sci fi fans....  That has changed greatly over the past year with online classes and a writer's group we set up.  I'm heading to my first University of IA writing conference, live--in person with manuscript in hands.  I figure I'll have to be drunk the first day---which will not be good--only kidding--kinda. http://www.continuetolearn.uiowa.edu/iswfest/html/welcome/index.html
villians, I've  tended to like broad society issues as villians. 
almost never, but i will talk about scenes or technique that I'm having trouble resolving to get ideas.  My office manager is a writer with a Masters in English.  No, I didn't hire her because of that--but it is a bonus...

It's a lot easier writing when you didn't think anyone will read it; a lot harder to think in terms of presenting to an agent or a house.  *grumble, grumble* [/b]

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Hoodooed

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 06:51:25 PM »

* I use a desktop PC and MS Word. I am considering a change to an iMac and iWork. I back my work up on a portable flash drive weekly or when I hit a milestone.

* When I am working on a project, yes.

* No. It's little more than a road to burn out and tossed work.

* Preliminary work involves developing appropriate caricatures for the story with just enough detail to flesh easily while working and than preparing a chapter outline that includes a couple of fun events.  The rest is filling in the details.

* A home office / home theater combo.

* Sometimes, I listen to the news in the background or a genre appropriate music CD. Sometimes, I don’t.

* Neither. Both are formed when considering theme and genre.

* I write a page or chapter, then re-read and tool it up. I check it again next day when I start the next part to get back into the flow of the story.

* If my work is displayed, it is after completion.

* Confidence. Sometimes clarity of thought or focus when my emotional state is unsettled.

* No. My preferred genre of speculative fiction was a social death sentence and door to ridicule in my area growing up. Small towns and small minds… A reading Harry Potter makes you a Satanist kind of place.

Offline Franzeska

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »
Hardly at all, except in the most general terms.  It sounds silly, but I guess I'm afraid I'll "jinx" the project if I talk about it to anyone.

I often feel like that too.  I generally work from very detailed outlines (down to the scene/sequel level), and any more discussion of the work with other people will make my writing stale.

Offline SailorYue

• Posty McPostington
  • I have a strange power, tied in with ESP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 09:19:52 PM »
has this ever happened to anyone: once you get the story written, your mind forgets it? that happens to me, which is why i dont use paper and pen anymore. once i get the story done, IM done wit hthe story. i never want to dwell on it again
aproximatly...

-----
avatar image found on Sherrilyn Kenyon's site.
it's Acheron's avatar, THE COOLEST, SCARIEST GOD ever.
--------------
Friendship and Laughter are the best medicine against depression =)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
* I use a desktop PC and MS Word. I am considering a change to an iMac and iWork. I back my work up on a portable flash drive weekly or when I hit a milestone.

Did you hear the many groans of OH NO!!!  Back up daily and keep flash drive with you at all times!  I even back up the back up on a side system work computer.

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Hoodooed

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »
has this ever happened to anyone: once you get the story written, your mind forgets it? that happens to me, which is why i dont use paper and pen anymore. once i get the story done, IM done wit hthe story. i never want to dwell on it again

Particularly with short stories. Novels take more thought and become far more "personal" with me. particularly whan I am staying tight to theme.

Did you hear the many groans of OH NO!!!  Back up daily and keep flash drive with you at all times!  I even back up the back up on a side system work computer.

It would be wise. But I am careless and lazy with it because I lack hope.  :-\

Offline Moritz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
I do short stories as a hobby, sometimes for competition. Not published yet.

outlines on paper, ideas into moleskin, writing on g4 Powerbook and Word. I always have something to write next to my bed in case I can't sleep

no

no. I have one project for which I write down one idea per day, but not the actual text.

idea, then outline.

no.

if I listen to musik, then soemthing without lyrics. ambient, electonic music, that kind of stuff.

whatever comes first.

when I decide to write but have no fresh ideas/ writer's block, I'll edit some older parts.

rewrite first.

dialogue and action.

sure.

bonus answer:
I drink cheap french wine and eat expensive alpine cheese while writing  ;D
I only read the British editions of Dresden Files, so I am half a year behind concerning the plot.
I also only read them when I travel.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 01:41:17 AM »
Back in the early 1990s, I had a lot of fun writing short stories and humor pieces, and even sold a couple, and won a couple of small press competitions. I used an original PC-XT to start with, with MS Word, and got hooked, because it was so much easier to rewrite and edit changes than with paper and a typewriter. I still generally started a story by outlining it on yellow legal pads, though, and posted the outline on the wall by the PC so I could keep track while I wrote. I joined a local writers' group, and we got together regualrly and shared and supported each other. One of my friends was a big fan of Hawaii Five-O, and wrote and sold the definitive book on the TV series, another got a three book mystery series published.
Then I got a job that entailed a lot of writing as a part of the job description. I spent several years doing a lot of writing on the word processor, cranking out software manuals, requirements documents, user guides, and technical stuff to the point that writing stopped being fun anymore.
Now that I'm retired and have the free time, I'd kind of like to get back into fiction and humor again, and I'm hoping the spark comes back. That's one reason I hang around with people that I know are active readers, and like to discuss books.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Hoodooed

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 02:07:35 AM »
I still generally started a story by outlining it on yellow legal pads, though, and posted the outline on the wall by the PC so I could keep track while I wrote.

I actually type my outlines and notes into word and then print the material to keep on the desk for easy reference while working. Something about having it on paper...

Then I got a job that entailed a lot of writing as a part of the job description. I spent several years doing a lot of writing on the word processor, cranking out software manuals, requirements documents, user guides, and technical stuff to the point that writing stopped being fun anymore.

Having been paid to write, do you now find it difficult to care about grammar and spelling when you are not being paid to do so? Like on a posting forum? (Nothing implied.)