Author Topic: Real world events with Dresdenverse explanations  (Read 25068 times)

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
Re: Real world events with Dresdenverse explanations
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2010, 09:02:41 PM »
many photoshopped things could be real photos of something dresden...

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:47:06 AM by Kristine »
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline zandamascus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2010, 02:37:24 AM »
how about bridge collapses? like the one in minnesota, or the more famous takoma bridge (might be wrong about the names of the second one, the bridge that collapsed from high winds)
IN THE NAME OF THE PIZZA LORD!!! CHARGE!!!

DV ZanDamascus V1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++ RP+ JB++ TH(++) WG CL(++) SW+++(++++) BC+ MC(+) SH [Murphy+++, Lash ++, Elaine++, Molly-]

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2010, 03:12:11 AM »
how about bridge collapses? like the one in minnesota, or the more famous takoma bridge (might be wrong about the names of the second one, the bridge that collapsed from high winds)

6 1/2 Words:

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

or  4 words:

A Wizard did it! ;D
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2010, 09:13:53 PM »
I had a bit of a read around, apparently there are minks nesting in the undergrowth underneath that section of bridge. They tested the different species of dog that have jumped the most and found that the scent of a mink drives them crackers. So when its a warm day and the rain doesnt supress the smell and certain species of dog walk past...

Nah, evil dog hating faeries.  Makes much more sense.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2010, 03:06:23 AM »
something seriously wonky had to go on here to get lots of one kind of deadly snake on one island - enough that governments ban anyone going there...
http://forests.org/archive/brazil/parafor1.htm
Paradise for pit vipers
A deserted island where the forest floor writhes with the world's most venomous vipers. A fisherman found dead on his boat, its deck awash with his blood. A lighthouse keeper and his family massacred in a nocturnal snake invasion of their isolated cottage home.

What sounds like the script from some tacky, low-budget horror flick may be as much fact as fiction. What's more, these tales have a purpose that goes beyond fireside entertainment. Chilling by design and passed down from fisherman, father to son, the stories perpetuate myths surrounding the forbidden shores of Brazil's Snake Island.

That's the name locals have given to Ilha de Queimada Grande, a speck of land off Brazil's southeastern coast. There, a unique species of the fer-de-lance pit viper, armed with a super-potent venom and found only on the island's 430,000 square meters, is jungle king.

Legend has it that the snake guards its forest realm with brutal ferocity. Real life has responded with a Brazilian navy ban forbidding anyone to set foot on the island. But it is not just this snake's prevalence that makes it an animal to be feared. The fer-de-lance also comes equipped with a particularly nasty venom. A necrotising element causes living tissue literally to rot, which can lead to the loss of limbs, and anti-coagulants mean some victims simply bleed to death, especially if they attempt that old "remedy" of cutting the bite to suck out the poison.

"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
-John Lennon-

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2010, 06:06:15 AM »
I've been wondering about this latest violent crime wave in Chicago.

Or the Great Chicago Fire actually being started by a Wizard ...

Same with the London Fires.

We won't even get into the San Franciscan Earthquake but there is probably a reason why the Red Court King has been plotting against Wizards for a century or more ...   :D
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician