Author Topic: Real world events with Dresdenverse explanations  (Read 24869 times)

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
Re: Real world events with Dresdenverse explanations
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »

Gummy-Bear-Candelier - transformation gone wrong...
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
You can't make this stuff up, I swear!

This reeks of a wounded godling never allowed to heal. Or just a latrine seeping out of faerieland.

Offline Flegetanis

• Conversationalist
  • Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
    • View Profile
    • "The Flegetanis Project" (various essays of mine)
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2010, 04:23:37 AM »
I've been rereading the whole series the past couple of months, and the topic of this thread is EXACTLY what I thought of when I heard about a "mild earthquake" hitting Chicago last month. I'm surprised to not find it here!

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/02/quake-like-tremors-reported-in-western-suburbs.html

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Breaking-News-Earthquake-Shakes-Chicagoland-84000302.html

Religion may be the opium of the masses, but only a select few can make it their LSD.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2010, 01:52:31 PM »
The maze of tunnels below Odessa left over from mining limestone for buildings.  What was someone really digging for? 

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2010, 04:38:50 PM »
Every read "Forbidden Archeology"?  Loaded with actual dig sites that date long before humanity was supposed to be bopping around  Momma Terra.  One was a mine that found stone tools under a lava flow that was a few million years old. Another was a metal sphere found in Africa. Basically a ball bearing with a ridge around the equator.  It carbon dated at over a
billion
years old!

It just begs for a "those who came before" story arc.

Offline Ancalagon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »
Every read "Forbidden Archeology"?  Loaded with actual dig sites that date long before humanity was supposed to be bopping around  Momma Terra.  One was a mine that found stone tools under a lava flow that was a few million years old. Another was a metal sphere found in Africa. Basically a ball bearing with a ridge around the equator.  It carbon dated at over a  years old!

It just begs for a "those who came before" story arc.

While those are great for story ideas, I wouldn't rely too much on them otherwise... carbon dating doesn't go back more than a few hundred thousand years at the most.... and besides, it's based on the biological sequestration of carbon 14 - not a lot of that going on in a steel ball bearing! 

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 01:22:16 AM »
Actually, the book spent a lot of time on various dating methods and their failings.

That being said, I take every thing with a grain of salt.

Offline zandamascus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
It might have been said before, but crop circles

just humans being silly? results of some Spells? the work of pizza-high little folk? Sinister plots by unknown High fae?
IN THE NAME OF THE PIZZA LORD!!! CHARGE!!!

DV ZanDamascus V1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++ RP+ JB++ TH(++) WG CL(++) SW+++(++++) BC+ MC(+) SH [Murphy+++, Lash ++, Elaine++, Molly-]

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2010, 12:53:25 AM »
Mothman sightings.  Aliens, spirits, or stoned  hillbillies?

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »
Now if this isn't something deeply frightening in the Dresdenverse then I don't know what is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklo (natural nuclear fission reactor site)

Offline MFeeney

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2010, 01:03:17 PM »
everyone here has probably already seen this, if so sorry  but sparked several ideas for me http://www.cracked.com/article/181_the-6-creepiest-places-earth/

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »
everyone here has probably already seen this, if so sorry  but sparked several ideas for me http://www.cracked.com/article/181_the-6-creepiest-places-earth/

Im living about 2 hours from that forest. As if it wasnt already fodder for a disturbing horror story there is a giant theme park near by.

I cant even begin to talk about that church...

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2010, 02:11:58 AM »
The doggie death bridge is what bothered me the most.  Mysterious abandoned cities and crazy-lady architecture doesn't hit me the same as K9's trying for instant evolution.

The double jumpers are even more baffling.

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2010, 04:06:44 AM »
The doggie death bridge is what bothered me the most.  Mysterious abandoned cities and crazy-lady architecture doesn't hit me the same as K9's trying for instant evolution.

The double jumpers are even more baffling.

I had a bit of a read around, apparently there are minks nesting in the undergrowth underneath that section of bridge. They tested the different species of dog that have jumped the most and found that the scent of a mink drives them crackers. So when its a warm day and the rain doesnt supress the smell and certain species of dog walk past...