Author Topic: Real world events with Dresdenverse explanations  (Read 24044 times)

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Real world events with Dresdenverse explanations
« on: April 25, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »
I've started this thread on the RPG board because it seemed to be the closest fit...

I frequently run across rather Fortean stories in the news.  Here's a current example, about a cyclone made of bees: http://www.local6.com/news/15982205/detail.html.

I'm sure this event has a perfectly reasonable explanation...that is utterly boring.  So let's ignore reality and think Dresden.

Who or what could create a cyclone-shaped swarm of bees, and why did they need to conjure one at Mexican restaurant in Orlando?

Anyone have an idea?  Alternatively, do you have another weird story to post?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Real world events with Dresdenverse explanations
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
Great idea for a thread.  Bring on the weird!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

comprex

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »

Mexican cockroach scare of 1827

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »
Great idea for a thread.  Bring on the weird!

Thanks!  I was going to kick things off with the story about the Congolese penis thieves, but thought better of it.  ;)

Mexican cockroach scare of 1827

¿Qué es esto?  Tell me more!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

comprex

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »
one famous corrido

NH's Old Man of The Mountain (and his face falling off)

Great Lakes (and the end of the Wisconsin ice age, I think I mentioned as a SmurF theory, but I did not mention the oldest old growth forest on the East Coast, the white cedars growing out of the cliff wall of the Niagara escarpment, some logs dating back to Charlemagne). link

The Megaflood and the formation of the Scablands Nova link here

Oklo fossil reactor linky

Lake Nyos CO2 cloud linky

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »
Well, the first two events that came to mind were the recent attempted curse on the Yankees, and that meteor in Peru that had everyone in an uproar last fall.

Here's a big list of such weird events.

Anybody want to Dresdenify this phenomenon?  ;D

Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline AronZ

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 08:32:22 PM »
"Elvis is not dead he just went home." - Agent K

Either that or he was a Sidhe, Summer Court most likely.

Offline AndrewD2

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 02:38:35 AM »
I always thought the summer court would have better taste in music  ;)

Offline Jessica

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 04:18:41 AM »
I've been wondering about this latest violent crime wave in Chicago.

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 01:00:21 PM »
Well you could have fun with the following two:

"A 120-year-old stuffed rhinoceros is back on display minus its horn, which was stolen during a nighttime robbery, possibly by an organized gang seeking to sell it on the Asian black market."
Which suggest all sorts of ritual uses

and

"Sexy lingerie has reportedly become a hit among Malaysia’s ethnic Chinese, they buy them to offer to their dead relatives on the Qingming Festival this Friday. To mark the day, Chinese traditionally tend the graves of their departed loved ones...lingerie has become an increasingly popular offering for dead female relatives... A matching set of floral underwear trimmed with gold-coloured studs costs four ringgit (1.25 dollars)"
Which is just weird - but suggest some very odd imagery. Maybe we should be glad that Dead Beat didn't ccur just after Qingming Festival.

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 03:11:54 PM »
Just heard this on the Howard Stern show.  I don't know if this is true, but it kept me laughing at the end of the day.

A local report from the Congo in Africa says that local authorities claimed they arrested 13 "sorcerors" and charged for practicing black magic.  What they did was shrink peoples Johnsons.  It is said that computers would avoid the commuter buses for they carry hooded people wearing gold rings.  For the spell to take affect, the figures have to touch a man and aparently shrink it on the spot or later on.

If the doesn't belong here, delete it and/or ban me from the forums.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 03:18:57 PM »
Huh. Now it makes sense. World leaders (and I use the term loosely) are actually Denarians.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 05:44:29 PM »
Huh. Now it makes sense. World leaders (and I use the term loosely) are actually Denarians.

That would make it too easy.

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 03:38:50 PM »
I recently blew threw all the novels and I must say I like the idea of a dresden RPG and even more so I like the idea of using real world events as hooks.  They don't all have to be amazing crazy things though.

In fact a recent news story has my mind spinning on the posibilities.
I like the idea of a set of villians that have escaped detection for so long, because they know about the non supernatural world and how to better hide the deaths of their victims.

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »
New England's Dark day.  Bad Ass wizard fight? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England%27s_Dark_Day
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12