Author Topic: Number of books to equal a best seller?  (Read 3984 times)

Offline storytellersjem

• Participant
    • View Profile
Number of books to equal a best seller?
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:12:49 AM »
Hello,

Just curious as to the number of books it takes to equal a best seller.

I imagine it varies from publisher to publisher as well as the type of book (i.e. hardcover, trade and paperback).

I would say maybe 70,000 to 100,000 minimum for hardcovers, true?

Thanks.

Shannon

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
Re: Number of books to equal a best seller?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 12:16:03 AM »
I don't have a clue, but I do want to say--I'm very curious about the answer.

::looks around hopefully::
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

Offline Antimatter Girl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:34:10 AM »
I thought bestsellers were done like music charts. What book happens to be selling the most copies in a given category in a given week.

Offline blue moon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:38:49 PM »
Best seller calculations are one of the great mysteries of the modern age.  The weirdest thing is- they don't seem to be based on actual sales.  At least not completely.  It also depends on where you buy the book.  Certain stores are "reporting" stores- their numbers count.  Last I heard, Wal-Mart- the largest seller of books in the US- is not a reporting company.  So all those books don't count.  No one seems to know if Amazon reports or not.  From what I understand, the people who make the lists have some say in what goes on it as well.  This is why books that sell relatively few copies can get on the NYT, USA Today, and other best seller lists.

The word is spreading through the reader community that beyond the money made from the sale of an individual book, if they want to help their favorite authors they need to buy at reporting stores.  How to find a reporting store?  That's the trick, because in theory it's supposed to be secret.  If there's a store in your area that usually hosts the big author signings, most likely it's a report store.

Offline Cathy Clamp

• Participant
  • Dances with Segues
    • View Profile
    • C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp Official Website
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 10:35:15 PM »
Okay, first you have to understand how "lists" work.  There are two kinds of bestseller lists.

1. Point of Sale lists -- The USA Today, and BookScan (a publishing-industry report of book sales) lists are based on "point of sale," meaning that every cash register ring of a book to the public in certain PRIMARY or SECONDARY market stores is counted. Now, a primary market is a B&N, Walden's, BAMM, Amazon, etc. A secondary market is WalMart, Target, Costco, Anderson News (which distributes to many of the grocery chains), Sam's Club, etc. Each list takes a different number. It APPEARS (and I could be wrong on this) but sales of about 3,500 books nationwide will get the book an appearance on USA Today. Format (hardback, trade, mass paperback) doesn't matter, because they all compete against each other, in all genres. It only takes about 900-1,000 to make a BookScan Top 100 list--but those are divided into genre lists. Library Journal is another point of sale list, but is based on sales to... (duh!) libraries.  :D

2. Book order lists. You have to remember that the PUBLIC is not the publisher's actual customer.  Never has been. The BOOKSTORE (distributor, wholesaler, etc.) is the primary customer of a publisher. When a bookstore's buyer orders the book, it's "sold" just as plainly and completely as when it is later "sold" to the public. Both the NYTimes list and Publisher's Weekly list are based on book orders. This is why a book (like Harry Potter) can appear on top of the NYTimes list before it's ever released. That would never happen with the USAToday list.  But like blue moon says, then things start to get weird. Certain stores (at different booksellers in different parts of the country) receive a form to fill out once a week. On that form is a long list of book titles. The manager of that store is supposed to fill out how many copies of each book have been ordered. Now, since this is a weekly list, that also means RE-orders (which is how most books wind up on the list--except in unusual cases where a store expects the demand to be big on opening day.) The faster the books sell in the store, the more are re-ordered.

However (and here's the interesting part!) only books ON the form are counted. Not every book is on the form.  Now, a bookstore can add a book to the form, but it has to be selling exceptionally well for a bookstore manager to REMEMBER it to write it down.

The number of sales to appear on either NYTimes or PW depends drastically on a weighted average. For example, if Jim's latest Harry hardback had been pubbed THIS month instead of May, it probably wouldn't have made the list. It would have had to compete with all of the "required reading" books for back to school. Tough to beat out sales of Animal Farm and Farenheit 451 this month! Yeah, publishers really think about stuff like this when they're picking slots for publication. They don't just assign a random month to books with the potential to make a list. They really do try to give it every advantage, because once a book hits a list, the next one probably will too and sales can only go up from there, because both USAToday and NYTimes are looked at by a wide swath of the public that their marketing could never HOPE to reach.

I just learned all this strange stuff a few months back, because we learned that our latest book just made an appearance on "the form." So NYTimes is starting to track our sales. Whee!   ;D

There's your marketing lesson for the day. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 10:37:01 PM by Cathy Clamp »
Smiles!
Cathy Clamp
Touch of Evil, USA Today bestseller
Magic's Design, now available everywhere
COLD MOON RISING, coming soon, 8/09. Preorder today!
visit our website to read sample chapters--http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 12:45:46 AM »
Thank you!  That's very informative!
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

Offline storytellersjem

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 01:25:43 AM »
Wow.  It's nice to see people being helpful here.

Thanks very much. :)

StoryTellerSJEM

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 03:12:48 PM »
That's really interesting and explains a lot to me. All these lists are not actually based on sales to READERS, but sales to VENDORS. They don't take into consideration the large number of  books that are pulled and returned to publishers. That also explains a lot to me about the deep discounts some books are getting on the day of release.
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline Cathy Clamp

• Participant
  • Dances with Segues
    • View Profile
    • C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp Official Website
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 08:39:17 PM »
Not ALL, BigMama.  Just some. And as for deep discounts, that has NOTHING to do with the publisher. The publisher asks a price for the book and the bookseller accepts it. If the bookseller then wishes to sell it at its OWN cost (meaning wholesale), they're certainly allowed to. Many times, it's in an effort to get people into the stores, hoping that if they pick up the brand new book for a discount, they'll also purchase another book along the way.  Now, none of this has to do with things like special deals or remainders.  Those are usually done long after the release date, after the publisher is certain they can no longer get the full asking price for the book. :)
Smiles!
Cathy Clamp
Touch of Evil, USA Today bestseller
Magic's Design, now available everywhere
COLD MOON RISING, coming soon, 8/09. Preorder today!
visit our website to read sample chapters--http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com