Author Topic: the "fate" system  (Read 8135 times)

Offline Kiddeath

• Lurker
    • View Profile
the "fate" system
« on: April 14, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »
My God what an effort in futility this is. When i first heard about an Dresden inspired RPG i was excited. but after spending a few days with the Fate2.0 I'm just sad.

Hopefully when EHP fails with that someone else will pick it up and run with it.

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
Re: the "fate" system
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »
My God what an effort in futility this is. When i first heard about an Dresden inspired RPG i was excited. but after spending a few days with the Fate2.0 I'm just sad.

Well here's the up sides for someone who doesn't like FATE:
  • You get to benefit from the research Chad's done and the detailed background into the Dresden Universe
  • You get some astounding artwork (a view based on whats been released so far)
  • FATE 3 characters are descriptive - so you don't have to understand the system to understand the characters, which in turn makes them easy to convert
  • You get guides to playing Dresden in Chicago
  • Or playing Dresden elsewhere
  • It will be a great reference whichever system you choose to use
  • It might have some more stuff by Jim himself

Why not have a look at FATE 3.0. Its significantly diferent to FATE 2.0, and its an easy download:
    Spirit of the Century SRD as a .pdf
and I hope you'll be impressed.

Out of curiosity what was it about FATE that you didn't like? Perhaps we can suggest a system that would be more to your liking? Perhaps we can even point you to links where people have already done much of the conversion work (like this conversion of Spirit of the Century to use d20 style rules).

Hopefully when EHP fails with that someone else will pick it up and run with it.

Personally I'm hoping it doesn't fail. Why? Because I know how much hard work has gone into it, and I realise that all that hard work has gone into the system due to a love of Jim's work and a love for roleplaying. Indi publishing doesn't pay enough to make a living on. People do it because they want to put something into the community and I would hate to see anyones dreams crash and burn.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:31:18 PM by R00kie »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »

Thanks for your animosity.  I really appreciate it.

The door's over there.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:20:14 PM »
Seriously, what was even the point of this comment?

If you like JB/Dresden, then be supportive, for goodness' sake.  If you don't, I don't know why you'd bother being here.  And as mentioned above, the book will be a great resource even for non-gamers.  At least look over the correct system before laying down such a dismal and rude prognosis.  THREE-ZERO, not TWO-ZERO.

l8a
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:37:02 PM »
If EHP failes, then no one is going to touch it. Simply because if it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. And if it doesn't sell, it's not an IP worth picking up.

But, given the success of SOTC, I don't see it failing.

Offline The Last Bean

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:53:36 PM »
My God what an effort in futility this is.

I think this is the only part of what you had to say that I agree with. What point is there in posting this? You've managed to somehow determine that the system sucks without even playing the updated version of it. That's like saying "ADnD sucked, so 4 will be crap."

Wait until you actually play the game before making judgements on it... or better yet, don't. I honestly don't want you representing FATE players. Play something else instead. I hear DnD is safe and comfortable for people who don't like change or innovation. It'd be great for you and you'd fit right in.

Iago already showed you the door, if you haven't left yet I'll be glad to hold it open for you.

Offline Matt G.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 02:34:59 PM »
The door's over there.

*applaud*

--Matt

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 02:38:10 PM »
I really don't think this thread needs to stay alive. Let's get back to focusing on the positive.  I'm gonna lock it.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/