Author Topic: Gothic Fiction  (Read 9952 times)

Wolfhowls

Gothic Fiction
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:40:05 PM »
Ok here's the deal I'm doing a research paper on Gothic Fition on Edgar Allen Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart" story and Charlotte Perkins Gilmans "The Yellow Wallpaper". The kicker the paper is due on Tuesday, yes the up coming Tuesday, and I am having a hell of a time finding online resources. So I reach out to you oh great and wonderful fans of the Butcher Board. Help me find some online resources. The only one I can't use is the dreaded Wikipedia. Wikipedia is a no-go and my professor will crush me if I even think of using that web site.

So....here what I'm suppose to do. Select 2-3 stories/poems/eassys(by the same authors or different authors) to examine in relation to the topic. Support my thesis concerning this topic with your own ideas/explanations,examples from stories, and literary criticism.

Help!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:58:20 PM by Wolfhowls »

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Gothic Fiction
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 05:30:42 PM »
Poe had other stories that feel more Gothic than The Tell-Tale Heart, like The Pit and the Pendulum. I don't think I've read anything by Gilmans. Why are you doing your research online, instead of in a library, where you can get the full text of critical revews?
The Internet is handy for lots of stuff, but not so much for literary criticism.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Wolfhowls

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »
Poe had other stories that feel more Gothic than The Tell-Tale Heart, like The Pit and the Pendulum. I don't think I've read anything by Gilmans. Why are you doing your research online, instead of in a library, where you can get the full text of critical revews?
The Internet is handy for lots of stuff, but not so much for literary criticism.

I have to have at lease four online soruces.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »
I have to have at lease four online soruces.
Then I'd probably start with the Internet Public Library, http://www.ipl.org.ar/cgi-bin/ref/litcrit/litcrit.out.pl?au=poe-10
And if it was me, I'd be working on it now, instead of hanging around here.  :D
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »
Ok here's the deal I'm doing a research paper on Gothic Fition on Edgar Allen Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart" story and Charlotte Perkins Gilmans "The Yellow Wallpaper". The kicker the paper is due on Tuessay, yes the up coming Tuesday, and I am having a hell of a time finding online resources. So I reach out to you oh great and wonderful fans of the Butcher Board. Help me find some online resources. The only one I can't use is the dreaded Wikipedia. Wikipedia is a no-go and my professor will crush me if I even think of using that web site.

So....here what I'm suppose to do. Select 2-3 stories/poems/eassys(by the same authors or different authors) to examine in relation to the topic. Support my thesis concerning this topic with your own ideas/explanations,examples from stories, and literary criticism.

Help!!

While you may not be able to use Wikipedia as a resource, it might still be helpful.  My job is the same way, I can't use it to verify information, but if I'm having trouble finding something, I'll go to Wikipedia, and then I'll scroll down to whatever external links the article has and see if any of them are viable for information.  Just scrolling quickly through the Wiki entry on gothic fiction, it gives lots of references and links, and lots of other examples of gothic fiction, like Dracula, which might be enough for a jumping off point for what you need.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Wolfhowls

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »
WONDERFUL!! You two have saved me from sheer madness.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 06:48:31 PM »
WONDERFUL!! You two have saved me from sheer madness.
Well, descent into madness is certainly a Gothic Theme, as illustrated by both The Tell-tale Heart and The Yellow Wallpaper.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »
Well, descent into madness is certainly a Gothic Theme, as illustrated by both The Tell-tale Heart and The Yellow Wallpaper.

Yeah thats was the reason I picked them both for my research paper. I tried to tell my professor that but all I got was an odd look for her.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
Here's a brief historical overview you may find helpful:

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/english/melani/gothic/history.html
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Franzeska

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 04:29:37 AM »
Yeah thats was the reason I picked them both for my research paper. I tried to tell my professor that but all I got was an odd look for her.

To be fair, they aren't usually juxtaposed in scholarly literature.  Maybe that's why she thought they were a weird choice.  The Yellow Wallpaper is certainly gothic enough, but it's much more famous as feminist literature.  Maybe you could try comparing it to some of the Poe stories where unpleasant things happen to women (there are certainly enough of them!).

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »
To be fair, they aren't usually juxtaposed in scholarly literature.  Maybe that's why she thought they were a weird choice.  The Yellow Wallpaper is certainly gothic enough, but it's much more famous as feminist literature.  Maybe you could try comparing it to some of the Poe stories where unpleasant things happen to women (there are certainly enough of them!).
The common factor to these two stories is that they are both first person narratives by someone going insane due to fantastical thoughts playing on their immaginations.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »
The common factor to these two stories is that they are both first person narratives by someone going insane due to fantastical thoughts playing on their immaginations.

SEE you understand. I said something along the lines of that and my professor gave me that LOOK.

Offline Franzeska

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 07:29:40 PM »

Hey, I'm not saying it's an invalid comparison.  I just suggested a reason the professor might have reacted strangely.  The Yellow Wallpaper is often analyzed as a condemnation of men's/society's control of women rather than as a story about madness per se, so the professor was probably surprised by the topic.  There are a number of Poe stories about societal pressures destroying women, so they seemed like a natural comparison to me.  (Oh!  Sorry.  The way the original post was written, I thought the OP was looking for additional stories by these two authors to add to the two he is already using.  Oops.)

One could probably get some good material out of the externalized violence of The Tell-Tale Heart vs. the internalized violence of The Yellow Wallpaper as gendered behaviors.  I guarantee that writing a paper about The Yellow Wallpaper without including at least some mention of gender is asking for a bad grade.  I've never met a lit prof who wasn't obsessed with its feminist implications.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »
Hey, I'm not saying it's an invalid comparison.  I just suggested a reason the professor might have reacted strangely.  The Yellow Wallpaper is often analyzed as a condemnation of men's/society's control of women rather than as a story about madness per se, so the professor was probably surprised by the topic.  There are a number of Poe stories about societal pressures destroying women, so they seemed like a natural comparison to me.  (Oh!  Sorry.  The way the original post was written, I thought the OP was looking for additional stories by these two authors to add to the two he is already using.  Oops.)

One could probably get some good material out of the externalized violence of The Tell-Tale Heart vs. the internalized violence of The Yellow Wallpaper as gendered behaviors.  I guarantee that writing a paper about The Yellow Wallpaper without including at least some mention of gender is asking for a bad grade.  I've never met a lit prof who wasn't obsessed with its feminist implications.
It sounds a bit more original to explore the madness, rather than the gender roles. If his thesis is well stated and well supported, and the paper is properly formatted and spelled correctly, that should be enough for a good grade, in my book. I wouldn't have much respect for any professor of literature with a gender bias of any sort, or who marked down original ideas because they didn't parrot the party line. If I was writing on the theme, the only mention of gender I might make would be to point out that one protagonist is male and the other female, demonstrating that madness and "hysteria" are not exclusively female traits in the genre.

Offline Franzeska

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 08:29:37 PM »
It sounds a bit more original to explore the madness, rather than the gender roles.

I don't think you can do one without doing the other.  I'm sure you could do it for lots of other stories, but The Yellow Wallpaper is about a depressed woman who's driven mad by her doctor husband when she's locked in her room as part of a misguided medical procedure.  If I were a professor reading a paper on this story that didn't mention gender (at least to the extent of mentioning why the author doesn't think it's significant), I might worry that my student had missed the gendered aspects entirely.