Author Topic: So, I'm probably having a random freak attack... ignore me...  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Tersa

• Participant
  • J'aime le beau vampire <3
    • View Profile
I have a question.  Maybe I'm too much of a bloody n00b to post this, or haven't made enough posts for a while, or maybe this is just a strange mood talking. 

I just finished reading Small Favor (no, I'm not going to spoil anything) and talking to a local published author.  I have a pretty decent friend editing team, and a great english prof.  I have encouragement on all fronts.   

I have no idea what the hell right I have to write.

Okay, that makes no sense, so maybe I should clarify how I think about writing...  When I write, I don't think of it as creating, really, I think about it as... I'm a scribe for the loonatics residing in my skull.  But after reading Jim and a number of other books, some ameteur fanfiction that is just amazing when the writer doesn't even have english as a first language, I feel like a bumbling fool.  I'm utterly inarticulate.  It's like I have the same paints as the good authors do, but I'm trying to freaking fingerpaint when I need a millimeter fine brush.  I have no idea how the heck to improve.  I give myself assignments, I try to work out characters, and none of it seems to do much.  I'm an English/Psych major.  I already had to let go of one of my favorite sciences, chemistry, because the kind I like is outdated, all done by computer now.  I'm just wondering if in writing I'm going to have the same problem.

If I try to write romance, all people seem to want is smut, and a certain amount of jaded-ness seems to have killed my ability to construct gossamer webs of romance.  I fail utterly at constructing other worlds, sci-fi and fantasy is out.  Urban fantasy is my niche, and yet I can't come up with decent characters. 

I'm not going to ramble anymore, I don't even know what the hell I'm saying... Just looking for anyone in similar positions, or if anyone knows what on earth I'm rambling about.  *head/desk*
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 01:48:45 AM by Tersa »
My avatar hosted by the folks at www.flickr.com.  This link is included so their TOS guys don't hunt me down. O_O

Though the French under my avi is probably incorrect, please don't hurt me...

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
Re: So, I'm probably having a random freak attack... ignore me...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:01:09 AM »
Tersa -

Take a deep breath... relax... there... better?

First off, no one's too much of a bloody n00b around here to post anything. As for the rest, you're human...

I've been where your head is at, and there are a few things I can assure you....

You're not insane, and...

You've got too many possibilities in your face, overwhelming you.

Take one character... develop him/her to be someone you would care about enough to want to live rather than die. Drop him/her in a situation, and see how he/she responds. Lather, rinse, repeat. Once you have a few characters that stand up in the wash, go from there.

The best sort of writing is Character driven, in any genre. Without Dresden's wit and quirks, and self-defeating chivalry.... he's just another wizard named Harry. Redundant at best in a sea of heroes. You want to improve, stop trying to write the the "right" story and go play with your characters for a while.

JMO
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Tersa

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:09:35 AM »
Tersa -

Take a deep breath... relax... there... better?

First off, no one's too much of a bloody n00b around here to post anything. As for the rest, you're human...

I've been where your head is at, and there are a few things I can assure you....

You're not insane, and...

You've got too many possibilities in your face, overwhelming you.

Take one character... develop him/her to be someone you would care about enough to want to live rather than die. Drop him/her in a situation, and see how he/she responds. Lather, rinse, repeat. Once you have a few characters that stand up in the wash, go from there.

The best sort of writing is Character driven, in any genre. Without Dresden's wit and quirks, and self-defeating chivalry.... he's just another wizard named Harry. Redundant at best in a sea of heroes. You want to improve, stop trying to write the the "right" story and go play with your characters for a while.

JMO

That's the most sane advice anyone's ever given me.  How sad that it had to come from an online forum... *Sigh* 

*bows respectfully*  Thank you.

Though I'm pretty sure Raphael is going to be pissed if I try to lather him... heh.  Maybe I'll start on Jake, I'm less likely to be injured.   *Snicker* 
My avatar hosted by the folks at www.flickr.com.  This link is included so their TOS guys don't hunt me down. O_O

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:14:31 AM »
I'm honored. *bows* and amused *snickers*.

You are welcome to come play with us on the dresdenverse if you'd like. We have a whole section for non Dresden characters where you can have your characters interact with other people's characters for development's sake.

www.dresdenverse.com

Offline Tersa

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 02:16:58 AM »
I'm honored. *bows* and amused *snickers*.

You are welcome to come play with us on the dresdenverse if you'd like. We have a whole section for non Dresden characters where you can have your characters interact with other people's characters for development's sake.

www.dresdenverse.com

*raises eyebrow*  ... I feel like I've been offered one of thirty certain pieces of silver... I love playing with other people's characters to work out things... *eyes link*   *schemes* 

*click*

I just hope you don't regret inviting me. >.<  I will try my best to prevent that, but my characters can be... interesting at times.  Twist archangels with their human counterparts and odd things often result, especially when my version of magic seems to center around playing with elements and molecules.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:23:18 AM by Tersa »

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:46:24 PM »
That's the most sane advice anyone's ever given me.  How sad that it had to come from an online forum... *Sigh* 

Think about that a moment.

People you meet in real life are in the same geographic space for wide enough a bunch of reasons that it's essentially random. [ Unless you live in an arctic base or something. ]

People you meet in an an online forum are usually there for some sort of common purpose and interest.  Also, the ones who stick around and make an impression sort of Darwinianly select for being articulate and good at interacting with each other and expressing ideas clearly.

Now, which of these ways of selecting people seems better suited to give you sane advice in general, let alone sane writing advice ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Franzeska

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 07:33:36 PM »
I have no idea what the hell right I have to write.

Then don't compare yourself to your favorite authors, people you'll never think you're equal to even if you get published and have legions of fans.  Compare yourself to all those people who make you think: "God, I could so do that better!"  Don't worry about being "the best" because there's no such thing.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 08:23:54 PM »
More great advice Franzeska!

I remember never feeling more motivated and confident than the day I picked up one book in particular and realized... "someone actually gave this person a publishing contract. This is the worst finished product I have EVER seen."

Made me feel I had a shot!  ;D

Offline Tersa

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 09:35:26 PM »
*laughs*  That's a very good point, neurovore.  Thus why it is near impossible to talk to anyone on my college floor... and thus why I have retreated to message boards when people I know are busy.  ;D

To all of you, thank you for responding.  I was having a bad spell last night, because like MSD said, a bunch of options hit me in the face.  It's amazing I don't have a black eye like Harry often does.  *Snickers to self*  "Raccoon..."

I actually had an experience like Franzeska mentioned not too terribly long ago, where I was wondering what the publishers were smoking when they gave someone a contract.  I have found the fantasy and romance sections are quite good for having those types of realizations. ;)

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:50:16 AM »
I actually had an experience like Franzeska mentioned not too terribly long ago, where I was wondering what the publishers were smoking when they gave someone a contract.  I have found the fantasy and romance sections are quite good for having those types of realizations. ;)

It's a very good section for it.  One of the books I go back to all the time for that kinda thing is Eragon. All I have to do is read one random sentence out of that, and it pulls me outta most funks.  With the good writers, that you feel like you'll never be in their league, or anywhere close, I just read it and hope that I'm even the slightest bit as good as them with my storytelling.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury