Author Topic: P.N. Elrod's FAQ For Writers  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
P.N. Elrod's FAQ For Writers
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:09:03 AM »
Pat Elrod has a FAQ page on her website for wannabe writers that covers a lot of things that have been discussed here, such as fanfic. There are a lot of helpful links to other places on the Web for writers to get info, find agents, gather in writers' forums, etc. Lots of good stuff: http://www.vampwriter.com/FAQ-WRITING.htm
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
Re: P.N. Elrod's FAQ For Writers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:25:17 AM »
Pat Elrod has a FAQ page on her website for wannabe writers that covers a lot of things that have been discussed here, such as fanfic. There are a lot of helpful links to other places on the Web for writers to get info, find agents, gather in writers' forums, etc. Lots of good stuff: http://www.vampwriter.com/FAQ-WRITING.htm

While her rant against most POD publishers is right on the money, I can recommend one that is legit: www.lulu.com. Their service is free to use and their product is first rate and quite professional. They offer both paperback and hardcover in a variety of sizes, allow writers to choose/create their own cover art and even name their own royalty.

Last year a group of my friends decided to gather up most of my 'Net published material and edit it into a print collection. These nice folks did a wonderful job of copy-editing, typesetting and designing the layout of the book. Another friend created beautiful front and back cover art. My friend Claire Wolfe ( RebelFire, The State Vs. The People, The Freedom Outlaw's Handbook) wrote a blush makingly flattering introduction.

Check it out here: Symbols Flow: The Collected Works Of George Potter.

The final product was a beautiful thing to behold, in both formats. Lulu pays on time and what they say they'll pay.* They have helpful customer support and an active community of self-publishers. I am thrilled by their service and heartily recommend them to anyone who could use it.

*I've so far made several hundred dollars on this book of stuff I originally gave away free on the net, with zero marketing. I think the stigma of self-publishing is rapidly dying in the information age, thanks to POD technology and innovative companies lile Lulu.
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
Claire Wolfe is a good example of a successful self publisher. I bought a copy of The Freedom Outlaw's Handbook, myself, and have vastly enjoyed it, and recommended it to others. If your Muse moves you to write about politics, theology, experimental science, avant-garde poetry, philosophy, or erotica, some form of self publishing may be the only option. Mainstream publishers, and even the smaller art houses, are looking for stuff that has the potential to sell thousands and thousands of copies to average readers, and Libertarian screeds, even good ones like Claire's, just don't have the perceived potential to get shelf space at Wal-Mart or the major chain stores.  In any case, Pat's FAQ is aimed more toward new fiction writers who want to see their first novel in print, to keep them from getting burned by all the con artists in the vanity publishing business. Lulu is basically a typesetting and printing service, I believe, and they're upfront about it, not conning people into thinking they've sold their book to a commercial publisher.

*Disclaimer- The majority of the stuff I have written that has seen print is technical writing and software manuals done as work-for-hire for my employer, copyrighted by them, and not carrying my name anywhere in the credits. I've had a few pieces of short fiction published in some zines (none of it fanfic), and actually got paid cash money for a couple of them ($25 and $50, whoopee!). I have no plans whatsoever to write The Great American Novel.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 03:32:05 PM by Yeratel »
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:54:16 PM »
A few other useful sites I've found are Preditors and Editors and Writer Beware.  Miss Snark's blog, though discontinued, is still archived, and has some good suggestions for writing eye-catching query letters and openers.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 01:01:02 PM »
Another instance in which Print on Demand (or Publish on Demand) services might be useful is if you require a single copy of some obscure, out-of-print volume that is impossible to find used.  I recall my mother ordering several books from one of these companies back in the Seventies; she paid $20 apiece, an exorbitant amount for a hardcover in those days.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 03:04:49 PM »
Another instance in which Print on Demand (or Publish on Demand) services might be useful is if you require a single copy of some obscure, out-of-print volume that is impossible to find used.  I recall my mother ordering several books from one of these companies back in the Seventies; she paid $20 apiece, an exorbitant amount for a hardcover in those days.
That kind of scan and print service is one of the things Lulu.com has available. It's not cheap, but sometimes it's the only way to get a reading copy of an old, out of print, and out of copyright book.