Author Topic: Contemporary Fantasy markets  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Thaumatist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Contemporary Fantasy markets
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »
Hi all, I'm quite new here, though I've been a HUGE Jim/Dresden fan since I first picked up Fool Moon a year and a half ago.

So here's my issue.  I've currently got a short story I'm trying to get published.  It's a stand alone story that's part of a world I'm working for a book series.  The genre can most accurately be described as Dresden Files meets House MD.  The setting is one in which the supernatural is much more commonplace and has many parallel's to real-world diseases.  The story, being a short 5k word piece, reads a lot like an episode of a TV show.

I've submitted to Realms of Fantasy, Strange Horizons, FSF mag, and Fantasy Magazine, all of which I thought were good fits for this story.  Evidently not.  There's been no feedback, so I don't think it has to do with my writing, characters, etc, I just think the style and genre aren't fitting what editors are expecting

So does anyone know of magazines looking for this kind of story?  It's basically a supernatural medical mystery.

Thanks!

Offline Hell's Belle

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Contemporary Fantasy markets
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:19:59 PM »
Looks like you tried for the Urban Fantasy portion of it, so why not aim for some of the mystery magazines out there? I think there's one called "The Strand" or something; I've seen it in the bookstores. Go for that angle, and see if anyone nibbles.
Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick two.
-Solomon Short