Author Topic: Published Author On Board  (Read 149365 times)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Re: Published Author On Board
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
It's been a long while since I posted on these boards, or even perused them....*Sigh*  :-[

Anyway, I'm now an (Electronicly) published Author! The place is the subscription site, BattleCorps http://battlecorps.com. It is the only place to get offical cannon fiction set in the Battletech Universe. Battletech itself is a game celebrating it's 25th year, and is well know for a deep and varied universe.

I've had three sort stories published so far on the site, and I'm hopeful for a fourth story. Hoppefully I can go from there..... ;)

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2009, 11:56:39 PM »
Congrats on getting published!
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline americanapocalypse

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2009, 09:04:49 PM »
Hello,

I am a published author, but not in what a lot of people here might read. Judging from my sales I think I can say almost everybody actually. 

I wrote "Police Battalions of the Third Reich" and "SS-Polizei: Memories of Poland."   

I writing two books now. "The Einsatzgruppen in the Baltic" is the working title.  The other is a serial novel on my blog. It is "American Apocalypse." The first volume is being edited so I can shop it around.  Now I am writing Part 2. 

This is what someone else wrote:

Not sure where to post this, but lately I've been reading some pretty good doom fiction.  The other day I was cruising the comments over at http://www.calculatedriskblog.com, and came across a reference to a serial novel being posted on-line.  I checked it out, and found it to be quite addictive.  It starts out in the not too distant future; the first couple of chapters could have been written by a contemporary homeless person today.  However, the world starts shifting rapidly for the protagonist Gardner and his little band.  What I find especially illuminating about the novel is the author nova's exploration of different responses to the crisis that devolves: there are the Burners who are pissed off at the system, the Tree People who are more or less primitivists, the Movers who are trying to obey the Federal Government's shifting decrees about where to go for help, etc.  And of course a Prepper who retreats into his basement with all his guns and goodies.  Not for the faint of heart; nova's depiction of the future is rated "R" for graphic violence.

Oh, it is also has Freya the Goddess. She has returned as a 12 year old girl.

Anyways, this looks like a cool place.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
Oh, the site for the serial novel: http://theamericanapocalypse.blogspot.com/

:-*

Offline madpoet

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »
I tend to forget sometimes, but I am a published author :)  I wrote and did technical editing for several non-fiction computer software books.  It's a pretty cool feeling to go into B&N and see your book on the shelf.  They were all written as contract pieces which meant I got paid peanuts for them, but it looks great on the resume (I do computer work by day).  And LORD were they boring.  I also was a contributing author on a major computer website for a while, and I still write occasional articles for various sites.

On the fiction side, I sadly have not had the same success.  I've had a couple pieces of poetry published (mostly rubbish I think, but they got published!).  My efforts at writing full novels have failed.  I keep losing the thread of the story.  Lately I've been thinking about trying to focus on longer short stories to try and break through a bit.

-Paul Stansel

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2009, 07:29:05 PM »
madpoet, Shoot.  I always thought the non-fiction side of things opened up the fiction side?  You haven't seen that to be the case? 

Maybe a novella (20,000 words).  I once started a learning piece with a plan for 20,000.  Then found it nice to expand it full length. 

Thoughts from people on short stories?  It seems that the rigid structure on short stories is like a different type of writing from longer works?  What can one learn by concentrating primarily on short stories that would apply to longer work?  Food for thought.  And zowie, I think I just highjacked one of Mickey's threads.  Eeck!  I'll come back later and break this off into a new thread.  Someone cover my back from Mickey's lightening bolts, while I'm at work.  :-)   
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2009, 01:43:14 AM »
Non-fiction does not seem to open any doors to fiction writing. I have been told by agents:

It confuses the readers
Why bother? There is more money in nonfiction
It is harder to market

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »
It's been a while since I've poked my head in here.  In fact, last time, I was part of the "author in progress" crew.

Just wanted to let you know that my first book, A Devil in the Details will published by Roc in July of 2010!

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 11:52:36 PM »
Hey, congrats!

That's really something to be proud of! Are you going to write full time or are you going to wait a bit before making that jump? Without giving away too much can you tell us what the book's about? Congratulations again. I'll be keeping an eye out for a copy of your book.

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2009, 03:12:51 AM »
It's been a while since I've poked my head in here.  In fact, last time, I was part of the "author in progress" crew.

Just wanted to let you know that my first book, A Devil in the Details will published by Roc in July of 2010!

BIG HUGE CONGRATS TAS!!!  AND ITS ROC, so who is your agent?  Who's editing for you? 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2009, 11:35:30 AM »
It has been a while for me too.
Karen and I have hit a few milestones, we sold a short novel on the strength of a few chapters and proposed story line. It is currently being serialised in the Grantville Gazette.
Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2009, 10:06:48 PM »
Hey! I know you!

Do you have a link to the Gazette for folks?
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »
Grin,
I was at one of your panels at FenCon 09.

Here is a link to the Gazette, About a third of the story is open to read for free. If any one wants the rest, PM me and I will try to get it to you. (Work has gotten a bit crazed, new equipment and contractors are a pain)

http://www.grantvillegazette.com/

Regards,
Kevin

Hey! I know you!

Do you have a link to the Gazette for folks?
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Phaethon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2010, 07:54:22 AM »
A necropost, but it's a pinned topic, so I figure what the heck.

I'm not much of an author by board standards with just a handful of short fiction sales in hard science fiction, literary fiction, and horror.  I've a completed novel that I'm shopping and another in ideation.  (I've had some nibbles from small presses, but I'd prefer to go with someone who actually moves product). 

Among my latest sales is a piece of "Tweet Fiction" (a buck for a <= 140 characters story, to be published in an upcoming flash fiction magazine (http://www.storyhack.com/).  On a per-word basis, it's probably my biggest payday.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
Welcome to the author's craft section.  It says 'lurker' but I know I've seen you on the boards before, right?  In either case, welcome!  And pay, what's that?  LOL