Linked Events

• MileHiCon in Denver: Oct 24-26: October 24, 2008 - October 26, 2008

Author Topic: MileHiCon in Denver, CO: Oct 24-26, 2008  (Read 20581 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
MileHiCon in Denver, CO: Oct 24-26, 2008
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
Jim will be Author Guest of Honor at MileHiCon in Denver.  The dates for this event are October 24-26, 2008.

myquasilatinphrase

Re: MileHiCon in Denver, CO: Oct 24-26, 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:50:44 AM »
This is just a quick question since I couldn't find any more specific infromation on MileHiCon's personal site, but...
Will Jim be signing any books/talking with fans, or is he simply there for a speech/appearance?
I'm going either way, I just wondered if I should be toting my books with me or not.  ;D

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 11:35:47 PM »
I know this is five months away, however deadlines are being reached for hotel space in particular.  By now, I had hoped that we would have a schedule to view.  I've visited the website again and nothing seems to be available.  Priscellie, do you know what his tentative schedule will be at the con?  If I go this would be a first con and I'd like to know what exactly to be expecting as to times he will be speaking etc.  Denver is one heck of an expensive airport to get into from here in IA.  Any help would be great.  Questions have been raised on their yahoo.com group, but so far no tentative schedule is posting.

Thanks! 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:23:10 AM »
Sorry, Meg.  I haven't been on the lookout for that sort of thing.  Generally, they announce con schedules closer to the event.

Offline twinswin123

• Posty McPostington
  • It happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 03:26:41 AM »
Does jim ever go to minnesota?
"You're going to kill us all!"

"Well you're ugly but we don't say that out loud."

"You've been naughty, go to my room!

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:26:43 AM »
Rose from Denver sent me this update.  It was what I was looking for and I'm sure it is completely up in the air--but the gist of possibilities sound interesting.  So who thinks they might be going?  I  hope it's okay to share it as long as everyone understands this was not even a tentative plan! 

From Rose after strong arming her... not even tentative!  Just an idea....."I can tell you now that Jim will be at opening ceremonies Friday night, will be signing at Autograph Alley afterwards, will speak at the Guest of Honor Comments on Sunday, will be doing at least one (and possibly two)
other signings during the convention-- hopefully one each day.

In addition, he will be scheduled for the usual Hour With program at which he will read, or answer questions, or demonstrate martial arts--whatever he decides. He will also be participating in a couple of other panels--which have not been determined as the participant questionnaire has not yet gone out.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
Sounds like a blast!  Thanks for doing the research, Meg!

Offline Medinnus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:46:29 PM »
As I'll be running their Dealers Room, is there any interest in seeing if I can collect books for folks (say, one per person, for the first 20 people or so) and get them signed?  Obviously, there are logistics to this; you'd send me the book and return postage/address, and let me know how you'd like them signed (more accurately to whom you'd like them signed). 

This is to gauge interest, and see if The Powers That Be have any objections; clearly, as a stranger to this board I have no reputation, and there is a small element of risk in that I might be a thief, scoundrel, or con man... but I know what its like to not have authors come through except once in a blue moon, and clearly the people here have an attachment... so... Just throwing it out there. 

If there is interest, I'll start checking to make sure its OK, and find out what book postage to say, New Zealand might be, and what paperwork I'll have to do...  ;D

Offline patter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »
I live a couple miles from the Hyatt and thought I should share a few things:

Travel Options:
* The Denver International Airport is about 25 miles from the hotel.  SuperShuttle is about $20 from the airport. 
* Another option is to fly into Colorado Springs--about 69 miles away on a discount carrier and drive up to Denver.  Cost savings may make renting a car cheaper. 
* If you have time, Denver is on the Amtrak rail line connecting Chicago, Kansas City and San Francisco though Denver.  The RTD Light rail from Denver Union Station to the Bellview Station is $1.75.  The Bellview Station is about 1/2 mile from the Hyatt.

Lodging:
* While the Hyatt is nice, there are a few reasonable hotels nearby such as the Homestead DTC-North which is less than a mile away by car and about 1/2 mile by foot.  Homestead DTC-North is a couple blocks from the Bellview station. 
* If you choose to lodge downtown, again, you could take the light rail to the events at the Hyatt.

Post other questions you may have.   

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 09:54:03 PM »
cool Denver has a light rail these days? How up to date!  Only kidding, but last I was there if you didn't have a car and a gun (or at least a knife) you were in trouble...... :-) 

Offline blackwolf

• Posty McPostington
  • Wolf Guard to the GREAT SHE Priscellie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »
Patter, I have always found that it is cheaper to fly into DIA instead of the Springs, I live down here and find that even with the Toll on the expressway and the gas spent, I still save almost $100 flying out of denver and flying into as well.
EVER RUNNING THROUGH THE NIGHT , HUNTING THOSE WHO DO BETRAY, I HUNT ALONE WITH DEATHS MIGHT , BLOOD LUST IS THE ONLY WAY, FOR THIS IS MY FATE

Every Warrior's dream is that he is Never Needed.

Offline patter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 03:20:43 AM »
Yes, Ma'am, this cow town even has running water and paved streets!  But, ifn' ya go lookin' fer trouble you can still find it! 

I recon we will put on a good show for the Democratic poly tissins that show up for nominatin' that Chi town man come August.  Don't rightly know if he is neighbor of that Dresden fella. 

Got a cowboy sense, Harry does.  No, not in a Broke Mountain way but a duster worn right--tied to the calves do it doesn't fly up all Marilyn Monroe in a breeze to make the other cowboys laugh--can be a right smart garment on the open range to protect you from the elements.  Or even Elementals for Harry.

Offline Drake

• Participant
  • "Signicance is cumulative- but not always obvious"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »
Well this is the only con I have any chance of going to because I live in Vail, CO so I will most likely be there unless something horrifing stops. I mean it would have to be like I got killed or had someone steal all my money. So if anyone needs help I can offer it and I will have a vehicle but I am 17 yr old male so my capabilities are somewhat limit and potentially unreliable. Yet, Denver is a fairly safe town I have been to the nicest parts and the worse and it is no LA or NYC. Also, no subway so the only mass transit are buses and some trains along I-25 and 70 but it  can be hard to get around. For me it is a 2 hour drive and it would be great to get a schedule for general times just so I know if going home over night is an option.   

Offline Thracian

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 06:25:19 PM »
I'm thinking of going to this. Anyone have an idea of how many people are likely to attend, what the con is like, etc.? I've checked out the site, but I'd like to get a sense of the event from someone who has gone in the past.

Thanks!

:)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »
Head count of any posters or lurkers who will be at MiHi Con in Denver? 

1 here