Linked Events

• Polaris in Toronto: July 11-13: July 11, 2008 - July 13, 2008

Author Topic: Polaris in Toronto: July 11-13, 2008  (Read 10657 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Polaris in Toronto: July 11-13, 2008
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »
Jim will be Author Guest of Honor at Polaris in Toronto.  The dates for this event are July 11-13.

Offline gemstone

• Conversationalist
  • photo ©2008 gemstone
    • View Profile
Re: Polaris in Toronto: July 11-13, 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:58:59 PM »
LOL!!!!  He's spending the whole Canadian summer there?    :D
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.  It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Offline mogo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:32:31 AM »
just like to say (yes I registered just to cuss about this), I am really damn heart broken about that, I am flying to Toronto on the 14th dammit. :(

Offline Ameme

• Lurker
  • BUTTERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:03:33 PM »
So excited about this. I attended Polaris for the first time last year, and knew as soon as the weekend was over that I would be travelling up to Canada again the next year. It's a really great con. And I was excited to find that Jim was going to be the 2008 Author GOH. Woohoo!
"You tell him, and I will slap you.  I will slap you like a bad, bad donkey, okay?"   -- Pepe the King Prawn

Offline Ruadh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »
I'm just back from meeting Jim at Polaris. It's too bad that I was only able to attend today but I just got back in town last night (I live a whole 5 minutes from the hotel where Polaris takes place!) According to my friends the Q & A he did in the bar of the hotel last night was fantastic as well as his live commentary of the first episode of the Dresden TV series. His Q & A today was great as well.

Anyway, he mentioned that he finished the 5th Codex book at 5 am this morning.   :)

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 10:09:55 PM »
I just got back from the convention myself...the saturday session at the bar was amazing!

That session was supposed to be a reading, but (long story short) Jim gave us the option of either a reading or a Q&A session, and we went with the session...it was a lot of fun.

It was a lot less formal setting than the session today.  You didn't have to go up to a microphone to ask questions, and Jim could see you easily.

Yes, he announced that he'd finished book 5 of Alera at 5am this morning.  What you're leaving out is the fun we had that morning (of course, I'm guessing you weren't there for that Ruadh).  For those of you who weren't there...

Those of us staying at the hotel had an early wake up call when the fire alarms went off at 6am!  Most of us hadn't been to bed due to parties and the like (while Jim stayed up and finished book 5).  At that time the alarm was of the "be ready to evacuate" sort.  We didn't have to leave the hotel but were supposed to be ready to.  I did what most people did...made myself decent enough to leave and then went back to bed.

Later on, at about 8:30 (by this time I was up...I volunteered at the con) the fire alarms rang again...this time it was the full "evacuate" signal!  Everyone had to march down several flights of stairs and go outside.  After a while outside (and a visit from the Fire department) we all went back in.  People were slowly taking the elevators up to their rooms.  For some reason only one, the "fire access" elevator, was working.  At the same time as the others all reactivated the alarms started up again!  This time we didn't have to go outside...we were allowed to stay in the lobby.  Of course this happened just after the fire trucks left and we had to wait for them to come back and deactivate the alarm.

Eventually we got to go back up, and I was on the elevator with a bunch of other people including Jim and Shannon.  None of us was in particularly good spirits as we lost about an hour to this.  Jim was in the elevator with his laptop bag and clutching it closely to his side.  Later on (after his talk) I asked him about this, confirming that as he'd just finished writing book 5, there was no way he was going to lose it in a fire!  By that point in the day we could joke about it.

Incidentally, a short in either an alarm or a sensor (one or the other) is apparently what caused the problem.  Nobody was in danger from a fire.  Still, it gave us something to talk about!

For the moment I'll finish off by saying if you get the chance to meet Jim, make sure you take it.  He and Shannon are both great people and were really receptive to all their fans!  I could say a lot more, but in truth I'm dozing off here at the keyboard.  I'll write more later and post some pics!

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
Anyway, he mentioned that he finished the 5th Codex book at 5 am this morning.   :)

Yup.  And it was freaking extraordinary.  I can't wait for you guys to devour it!

Offline Medikman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »
I'm so jealous, I have never been to a Con......ever.

So I'm wondering did anyone make a joke about Dresden setting the building on fire?
Jayne: "Shiny. Lets be bad guys."

Jayne: "Time for some thrilling heroics."

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Yup.  And it was freaking extraordinary.  I can't wait for you guys to devour it!

"Extraordinary" pales; I was utterly blown away, especially by the climax. Freaking WOW. I actually envy you guys who will get to sit down and take the book in at one swoop; this is an intensely-satisfying reading "meal".
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline JRBobC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 07:27:55 PM »
"Extraordinary" pales; I was utterly blown away, especially by the climax. Freaking WOW. I actually envy you guys who will get to sit down and take the book in at one swoop; this is an intensely-satisfying reading "meal".

The word "bastards" comes to mind right about now ;D.  Oh, well.  Just have to go with my sig and be patient.

BTW.  Patience blows.  I want it to be December for the book, but not for the weather.
Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, PATIENCE IS A F***ING VIRTUE.  There, now I might be able to follow it.

Regarding Cover art: "You have no control. If you’re really lucky you get an art director who will let you use Vaseline when he bends you over." -Glen Cook

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »
I don't think you quite understand. We see it chapter by chapter (or mini-arc by mini-arc). Instead of one big cliffhanging at the end of the book, we get forty-some-odd medium ones, and they're all some time apart, so there's a steady stream of "you cliffhanging bastich!" and no single big "Ahhhhh!" of reading the whole shebang the first time you see it. So, you see, there's just as much patience required; a different KIND of patience, yes, but just as personally annoying.

Plus, y'know, it's work. Volunteer work that we like, to be sure, but we're there to help Jim find booboos and get 'em fixed before the publisher grabs it. Enjoyment is almost incidental - only the fact that it's an excellent writer keeps enjoyment in it. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.