Author Topic: Small-Run Printing Company  (Read 3124 times)

Offline PaperForest

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Small-Run Printing Company
« on: August 13, 2006, 06:12:46 AM »
Hello! My name is Andrew Duff. I recently opened up my own small-run printing company. We were originally aimed at artists only, but I just got back from Otakon, and a couple of writers cornered me and apparently really shiny business cards and plastic bookmarks are all the range in promoting yourself in the writing world.

I'm a big fan(obviously) of the Dresden Files, but I'm pretty much all thumbs when it comes to self-promotion and the like. So I figured this would be a good place to ask some questions and get some feedback without making a total idiot out of myself.

1. My company can print on pretty much anything. What promotional materials could I offer that would really draw interest?

2. Is there a big website/forum/convention where I could really promote my company?

I know this isn't exactly an author "craft" post, but I figured it was more specific then a general query. Thanks for your time, and hope you guys can help!

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
Re: Small-Run Printing Company
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:12:11 AM »
www.bksp.org and www.writerspace.com are sites geared for writers, but I'm unsure what they offer for 'writing vendors.'  I'll keep you in mind when I go to print my goodies.  ;)
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline Cathy Clamp

• Participant
  • Dances with Segues
    • View Profile
    • C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp Official Website
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 12:15:01 AM »
You might wander over to a website called Earthly Charms, http://www.earthlycharms.com, which does a lot of author promo stuff.  You'll be able to wander around and check out the things that are currently selling well. Some of the big "stock" items are pre-printed (removable!) stickers that say "Autographed Copy" "Local Author" and other things, notepads, pens, pencils, bookmarks, postcards, etc.  They have really reasonable prices, which is something you have to keep in mind.  Us authors is POOR!  ;D

There's always room for new companies out there. Wait times can get long and there aren't too many companies that do quality work on a quick turn-around.

Good luck!
Smiles!
Cathy Clamp
Touch of Evil, USA Today bestseller
Magic's Design, now available everywhere
COLD MOON RISING, coming soon, 8/09. Preorder today!
visit our website to read sample chapters--http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com

Offline PaperForest

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
Those are all excellent links. Thanks for your help. ^_^