Author Topic: Any correlation here?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Any correlation here?
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »
Since I've begun writing more or less steadily again (at least 2 hours a day if I can manage it) I've noticed that not only am I dreaming vividly all night, I'm also sleeping more soundly.  I can't help thinking that it may have something to do with the increased brain activity, and am wondering if anyone else here has noticed the same thing when they write.  Input, anyone?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
Re: Any correlation here?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »
When I write, it doesnt seem to effect me mentally.  I just get. The usual strange dreams of thing I can't make out.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:37:31 PM »
There is a direct correlation between my mood and how often I write.  I always sleep more soundly if I've written something - anything - that day.  I'm in a better mood if I've been on a good routine for a few days.  I'm generally a melancholy sort of fella by nature, but I am downright giddy when I have been able to stick to a regular writing schedule.  It's borderline child-like glee, even.

So yeah, I think there can be a direct effect on your mood.  For me it is simply a matter of doing something that I absolutely love.  Writing is the only thing that makes me feel happy in that "cloud nine" sort of way.  It's a satisfaction that I can't find anywhere else.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline seradhe

• Conversationalist
  • insert witty cliche here
    • View Profile
    • Where I write things
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 07:22:15 PM »
I treat my writing as a sort of "emptying the reservoir". If I don't put these plots and characters and stories out on paper, they sit there and I dream them. A lot of my favorite stories started off as dreams I wrote down at crazy early morning hours. If I don't write, my mind has a habit of getting cluttered, and I lose focus and sleep less.

Of course this is me, I have a nasty habit of zealously trying to hang on to every little idea that pops into my head
I think it's painfully obvious why my pants are gone.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:37:14 AM »
Hey, I think you are a fellow "night" writer.  If so, consider yourself lucky.  Nothing like getting things organized while you sleep soundly!  I've had several people tell me they write the same way, so if you are--you aren't alone or weird.  You can train yourself to be better at it as well.

Here's the test, when you get to a spot you don't know where to head next or you've backed yourself into a corner or a character isn't layered enough--just tell yourself to figure it out while you sleep.  If you wake up the next morning with a 3D solution including sight, smell, and texture-- consider yourself extremely lucky.  Scribble it down quickly though before you lose it.

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline GWiz

• Participant
  • It only hurts a little...........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »
I've always done my writing overnight.......as in from dusk until dawn, so I usually sleep pretty well afterwards regardless. I gotta say that writing doesn't seem to "empty my thoughts" or "clear the pallette"; actually, I usually have so many things going on by the time I quit I have to re-read what I wrote the night before to remember my own plot direction......how's that for wierd? As for dreaming, I never ever had a dream about anything I wrote, and never wrote about anything I dreamed.........
"Say goodbye to the wife and tater-tots!"
Woody

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:22:03 PM »
amazing how we are all so different.  GWiz, Do you tend to have vivid dreams, the kind with walls, smells, etc? or do your dreams fade at morning light?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline GWiz

• Participant
  • It only hurts a little...........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »
Both, I guess......My dreams are real enough, I suppose, though only my nightmares are consistently cohesive........when my daughter was 2, I dreamed that she was attacked by a male baboon in an animal park....although I tried, I was not fast enough to rescue her......
This nightmare was scary on several different levels, but what I remember most about it was the feel of her blood as I tried to hold her together, waiting for someone to help her, the feel of her dress, the ground beneath my knees; everything was hyper-real......and while I dreamt this years ago, and never had it again, it's still very fresh in my memories.......
as for the rest, I remember stuff as I wake, and it fades slowly. I write stuff down sometimes, like driving my Mustang through an Italian restaurant, or blowing into a handkerchief and flying through a K-mart.....stuff that's sufficiently odd to be funny or mildly interesting, but also stuff I'd forget later if I didn't write it down. But it all seems really real when I'm dreaming..........I do the same thing with music; when I was playing, and we were amusing ourselves by writing our own musical lamentations, I used to carry a recorder with me and sing measures to be deciphered later at the piano or bass (I'm a drummer.... :P) because while I had some cool tune ideas, I'd forget them if I didn't record them.....
I'm pretty sure my subconscious self screws with my conscious self just for fun......
"Say goodbye to the wife and tater-tots!"
Woody