Author Topic: The official Dresden Files RPG  (Read 13275 times)

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
The official Dresden Files RPG
« on: February 09, 2008, 02:30:20 AM »
I want to be careful what I post here.
1. Fred wants playtesters to discuss DFRPG and "get the word out".
2. Fred does not want too much information leaked and I'm under a NDA agreement not to spill any real secrets.

Having said those things, here are a few thoughts I have at the moment based on my playtest experince so far. I believe that nothing I reveal will be a secret, and will intentionally remain somewhat vague:

1. Go buy Spirit of the Century. Right now. If you don't buy it, at least download the SRD for SotC. I felt that I had a decent understanding of SotC until I really played it, and now I realize that it really makes more sense in action. The DFRPG will be very similar to SotC, so what are you waiting for?

2. The DFRPG is similar to, but not exactly the same as SotC. Start with SotC right away, however, to make the "learning curve" better later on. Some of the skills/stunts/aspects have changed a bit, but the vocabulary of FATE can be heavy if you don't spend some time absorbing it. That's why you want to start right now. That way, when the DFRPG comes out you'll be ready and the transition will be small.

3. FATE is really the way to play in the Dresdenverse. I know that I've been trying other game systems to simulate DF for a while now, but I can really feel things starting to click here. The FATE system is detailed enough to do what you want, but simple enough to allow you to play without heavy reliance on the rulebook. When I got my players to use skills/stunts/aspects, I would just ask "what do you think it does?" rather than consult the rulebook all the time and the whole thing runs so smoothly. I know in general how the system works, but the players can pick up what they need to know in a hurry and without huge prep on my part.

4. Fred and Rob do an excellent job of constructing a doccument. I know I've said this in other threads, but when I read the DF playtest docs or read SotC I keep saying to myself "Wow. I knew this, but it becomes so much more clear this way!" Every time I read SotC again I find some new nugget of wisdom that I missed the time before.

5. Maybe it's just that my group has done Swords-and-sorcery fantasy so much lately, but my players keep bugging me about running more Dresden sessions. And some of them haven't read the books or watched the TV show!

6. The playtest docs are clearly a ways away from being a final product, but everything I have seen so far seems to point to a really fantastic RPG when this is finished.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
Re: The official Dresden Files RPG
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »
Just a little update:

I've been absorbing the playtest docs for Supernatural Stunts (this terminology should make sense if you've played SotC) and it's awesome so far.

There are rules designed to allow for any type of special character from the series -- wizards, vampires, weres, fae, knights, and so on. I'm still getting the hang of how some of the rules link together, but the ideas are great and the text is well written.

My group is in a character generation phase at the moment. Some of the players have read the books, some not. All are really pumped about what we've seen so far......
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:33:43 AM »
1. Go buy Spirit of the Century. Right now. If you don't buy it, at least download the SRD for SotC. I felt that I had a decent understanding of SotC until I really played it, and now I realize that it really makes more sense in action. The DFRPG will be very similar to SotC, so what are you waiting for?

If you are quick the electronic version (PDF) is discounted by 33% from today until the 5th March

http://www.yourgamesnow.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=66&products_id=1821

MatthewD44

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:46:26 PM »
where do you find fudge dice?

Offline DDR

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 12:56:29 AM »
a quick google on "fudge dice" show several places, this one on top.

http://www.rpgshop.com/default.php?cPath=_30_316

Devin

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 02:21:25 PM »
where do you find fudge dice?
You can also get them from the same place as Spirit of the Century (which I can assure you will also be one of the places selling the Dresden Files RPG when it's out), Indie Press Revolution:

http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/home.php?cat=279
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »
If you are in the United Kingdom I would recommend Leisure Games (http://www.leisuregames.com/) for both Spirit of the Century and Fudge Dice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »
Agreed. Leisure games is probably the single best source of Evil Hat's stuff outside of the USA.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 10:14:54 PM »
Or if you are on a real budget you could make your own paper dice using the handly pdf here:

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/sprkdice.htm

MatthewD44

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 01:15:27 AM »
thanks I got my dice from the rpg shop

Offline VengeanceGOD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »
Yeah, my local game shop ordered them and get them in pretty quickly.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 02:59:38 AM »
Yeah, my local game shop ordered them and get them in pretty quickly.
Keep in mind that there are actually TWO different sets of FUDGE dice that are out there (that I know of, there may be more...)
1. The classic set with blue, black, white, cream, and red.
2. The wild set with purple, pink, orange, green, and yellow.

The second set was particularly important when it came to be time to get my teenage daughter interested. She just *had* to have those hot pink FUDGE dice!
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 11:40:56 AM »
Well I've found some amazing Fudge dice. Unfortunately they are well and truely over-priced. You could buy 20 Fudge dice from Indie Press Revolution for the price of four of theses.

But they are so cool...

Elven Fudge Dice

Runic Fudge Dice

And who can resist Transparent Fudge dice with glowing red runes or the Black and Blood Red Runic Fudge dice.

Unfortunately with a price like that I don't think I could afford to buy many.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:56:23 AM by R00kie »

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
Very pretty!  8)

I guess FUDGE dice are like other dice in my collection -- at first I'm more interested in quantity and I'm willing to settle for cheap dice, but as time passes I think "hmmm, gotta have those cool colors" and start to invest in the nicer dice. Once I get a set of really nice dice, my players will start to shop for nice ones of their own. When my sister and I go to GenCon she'll start shopping for FUDGE dice that fit her "persona".

They may seem pricey now, but I'm sure I'll own a bunch of 'em soon enough!
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 07:16:59 PM »
Careful with the runic fudge dice.  Some of them have less + and - sides changing the curve dramatically.
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis