Author Topic: Board FAQ?  (Read 16085 times)

Offline Bob

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Knight
    • View Profile
Board FAQ?
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »
This may have already been asked/done and I'm too technically obtuse to realize it, but what's the chance of adding a board FAQ at the top of the page?  It could contain all the little techno tips for making a word into a link, adding image links to a post, and the like, as well as answers to questions like "How do I use an avatar of my own choice" and (looking at this section of the board) How to set up an RSS feed.
Solve a man's problem with violence, help him for a day.  Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Board FAQ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »
It's something I've been meaning to do; it's just a matter of finding the time.  Perhaps our members can pitch in and put one together?

Offline Shandra

• Conversationalist
  • Dark Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
We can definately help, is there anything in particular you'd like covered, Priscellie?

Questions I see asked a lot (besides the ones Bob mentioned):
-What do the various titles and stars mean under peoples names?
-How do I become a member of the White Council of the boards?

I can organize this if you'd like, Priscellie. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:43:08 PM by Shandra »
Some people are brave; others just don't know any better.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
Good ones!  We should also include how/when to use the "Spoiler" tag, and point out the ever-useful but seemingly seldom-used Search function.

Offline Shandra

• Conversationalist
  • Dark Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »
Here are the ones I've written up so far (I'm a moderator for a corporate computer game board, so I'm used to writing these)...  Some with answers, some without yet.

How do I get my own personal avatar?
---By becoming a wizard, that is, by having 100 posts on the board.  You add it to the boards by..........etc.

What do the various titles and stars mean under peoples names?
---They are titles that are based on your post count (with the exception of the White Council (see below).

How do I become a member of the White Council of the boards?
---The White Council is our moderation team, with special guests (including Jim and Shannon Butcher).  There are currently no openings on the Moderation team.

How do I create links on the boards?
How do I add an image to a post?
How do I set up an RSS feed?
How and when do I use the “Spoiler” tag?

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:23:44 AM »
What are the rules for signatures and how do I add one to my posts?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:03:55 AM »
What are the rules for signatures and how do I add one to my posts?

Go to your profile, and click on "Forum Profile Information".  It'll bring up the place where you can edit your avatar, and if you scroll down, you'll see a box for signature.  The only rule I'm aware of is you have 300 characters, so whatever you want to say can't go over that.  I assume they'd prefer that it not be profane.

Offline Shandra

• Conversationalist
  • Dark Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:31:27 AM »
If anyone wants to create answers for the above questions, and/or create new questions feel free! 

::adds Helen's answer to her FAQ list::

Sonofraith

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »
How and when do I use spoiler tags?

-- You should be able to simply type(or paste) the website URL (the www stuff) in to your post and it will create a link to that URL. However if for some reason this does not work, highlight the URL in your post and click the 'insert hyperlink' button (it looks like a globe) located in the tool-bar above the main body of your post. (Be sure you inserted the URL in it's entirety, the best possible result for this is: right-click your address bar, click copy. Then right-click the body of your post and click paste.)

How do I shorten links to a single word/phrase? (added this one)
 -- This is slightly different than a normal link and there is no easy click button. The 'code' should look something like this
Code: [Select]
[url=your_url_here]Link text[/url]   So for example, if I wanted to put a link to www.jimbutcheronline.com but have the link read as "Dresden" in my post, I would type:
[url=www.jimbutcheronline.com]Dresden[/url](Again, it's best to use the copy/paste method when inserting URL's to ensure the accuracy of the link)

-- First, you need the URL (or 'link') to the image. If the image is on your computer, you should host it online (www.photobucket.com is the most popular/safe image hosting site that I'm aware of and it's free). 
 -- Place the image's URL in your post (by typing it or pasting it there). Some websites (Like Photobucket) add the 'code' for you. If this is the case, stop here.
 -- Highlight the URL in your post, and press the 'insert image' button located in the tool-bar above the body of your post.
The end result should look something like:
[img]www.photobucket.com/mypichere[/img] (you can also type this out if you type faster than you find buttons)

How and when do I use spoiler tags?
  Spoiler tags are used to cover text (until it's specifically highlighted for viewing) that gives information from a book/movie that others haven't had a chance to read/watch. This typically doesn't involve content that's on-topic or a year or so old, unless you're giving away major plot lines/scenes, however it's always better to use it and not need it than to not use it and spoil it for someone else. Also note that Administrators may post spoiler rules for the newest of content, be sure to read and respect said rules when discussing new releases.

To insert a spoiler tag simply:
 -- Highlight the spoiling text (example: omg so-and-so died so viciously omgz!)
 -- Click the button 'SP' located in the tool-bar above the body of your post. (can't miss it, Black S , white P).
 The end result should be:
[spoiler]omg so-and-so died so viciously omgz[/spoiler] Which looks like:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 05:30:26 AM by Sonofraith »

Sonofraith

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 04:29:18 PM »

How to set up RSS feeds?

First thing is first, you need to locate the proper URL.  For a feed that provides updates for the whole of these forums, the URL is: http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/feed.xml?action=.xml;type=rss.  A feed for Announcements only would be http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/feed.xml?action=.xml;type=rss;board=11. (The difference is that for a single section you add the ;board=# , the # being located in your address bar when you're viewing that section.)
  (Note: This information is based off This Thread)

Now, you can use the URL for the desired feed in various ways:

(1) RSS Reader programs. These are typically stand alone clients that will update every so often (depending on personal settings) and display X amount of new posts (Typically the 5 newest since last check). And can even play a sound to inform you of updates if you're not at the computer.  A simple and free RSS reader can be found here: www.rssreader.com (I tested this reader to work with the feeds for this site).

(2) Email accounts. Some email accounts allow you to add RSS feeds which will be displayed in various ways. Gmail for example will show the most recent post as a link above your in-box. You can find how to accomplish this by entering 'settings' in your email client/page. (For Gmail you want to go into settings and click the Web Clips tab)

(3) Websites. Some account based websites will allow you to add RSS feeds (Google Reader for example). This works pretty much the same as a reader program, except you have to be online, at that site, and some of them wont accept the feeds for this site. (MyYahoo for example).

Alternatively, if you use a browser which supports feeds (such as Firefox). You can simply access these forums and press the 'Subscribe to this page' button (located at the end of your address bar or under bookmarks). This will allow you to add the feed to certain locations without having the exact URL. These locations are: Live Toolbar, Google, MyYahoo (doesn't work at least not for this site), Bloglines, or a Rss Reader program of your choice (doesn't always work). The down side to this option is that you get the 5 newest posts on the forums rather than specified sections, regardless of what section you're on when you subscribe.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 10:04:15 PM »
Go to your profile, and click on "Forum Profile Information".  It'll bring up the place where you can edit your avatar, and if you scroll down, you'll see a box for signature.  The only rule I'm aware of is you have 300 characters, so whatever you want to say can't go over that.  I assume they'd prefer that it not be profane.

There's another rule:  Your sig can only be as tall as 5 lines of text, which works out to be about 75 pixels.  We usually only enforce it in particularly egregious instances, but it's there.

Offline Shandra

• Conversationalist
  • Dark Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 11:32:10 PM »
Got all the additions added.... Anything else before I send it on to the Mod team?

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 05:11:22 AM »
Just paste it here.  We can grab it and post it, as soon as we figure out the best place for it.  Gotta brainstorm with Fred for the best place to put it...

Sonofraith

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 05:23:06 AM »

It'd be dope to have it in the tool-bar beside "Home" , "Help", etc. IMO for easy access.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 05:28:52 AM »
You guys rock, this is great!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D